Thinking of stopping TRT after 4.5mos

Dean407

45yrs old. Been on TRT a bit under 5mos. 50mg 2x/week. Last test reading before TRT was 225. During TRT I'm at 700. It's GREAT not to have chronic muscle aches and calve spasms weekly during the night.

The down side: I have good genetics to build muscle and look like I work out even when I don't. While on the same basic clean diet, I have gone from 205 to 222lbs...and I JUST started working out again 2 weeks ago.

My neck went from a 16.5 to 18. Yeah- 18. All my large shirts are too tight. I just spent $700 having to get XL sized everything basics in clothes.

Everything from forearms, shoulders, back/chest got bigger without trying.

I actually wanted to get DOWN to 185-195 size 34 waist with lots of cardio as I've done before- 5yrs ago with running. I'm up to 38's and in some cases 40's now.

I have the classic "moon face" going on. I have so much extra neck fat, I feel i can plaster a wall.

It's frustrating because my Endo doesn't feel E2 is necessary at my doses. He didn't even see a way to order E2 Sensitive.

I am not on any AI. I don't have too many side effects besides water retention and low grade acne that I keep in check mostly.

I was thinking of cutting my dose in half...to 25mg 2x/week. Would this help reduce water retention?

So first of all, check your estradiol. Read the FAQs link below in my signature. It will guide you on how to get private blood work without having to go through your doc.

As for the weight gain, you just need to change your diet. If you reduce calories you will lose weight. Just try to maintain difficult protein in your diet so as to minimize muscle loss. 1g of protein per pound of body weight is a good starting place. So 222g per day in your case.

What is your body fat %?

I understand your frustration. I think it can be difficult for those of us who are looking to lean out. We end up gaining weight and getting bigger. I began getting worried about weight gain and bloating for about a month. This might be coincidence but since I have added HCG to my regimine I am leaning out noticeably. Granted I have been doing some pretty serious cardio recently. Several people that I see every weekend when we go out asked if I had lost weight. I have gained 5 pounds. Body has changed but it would be nice on my knees and joints if the actual pounds would drop.

My BF% is up there. But my face is so bloated my glasses are now tight. Its not really neck fat as I have always had extra skin on my neck even when lean. Testosterone has made this worse to the point I have a double chin starting. I have been up to this weight in the past, but it was mostly in my gut...

I do food prepping and eat very clean...have for a long while. Seems like test has added close to 15lbs.

I wouldn't care if my face wasn't distorted. It makes me look old and really out of shape. A female friend said I'm not fat, I look like a football player. Well, yeah.

Understood on the private labls.

My BF% is up there. But my face is so bloated my glasses are now tight. Its not really neck fat as I have always had extra skin on my neck even when lean. Testosterone has made this worse to the point I have a double chin starting. I have been up to this weight in the past, but it was mostly in my gut...

I do food prepping and eat very clean...have for a long while. Seems like test has added close to 15lbs.

I wouldn't care if my face wasn't distorted. It makes me look old and really out of shape. A female friend said I'm not fat, I look like a football player. Well, yeah.

Understood on the private labls.

Definitely get your estradiol checked and report back. You can have the results in 24-48 hours. I recommend getting their Hormone Panel for Females (for men too despite name).

We can help you locate an AI if you end up needing one. But at 50mg 2x/wk there is a really good chance that you do not have elevated estradiol.

One thing to keep in mind is that increasing your testosterone levels allows your muscles to hold more glycogen. This is a good thing because it makes you stronger. But it could be causing some of your weight gain. Every gram of glycogen has about three grams of water attached to it. I am not saying glycogen has increased your weight by 15 pounds, but it could be 3-6 of it.

45yrs old. Been on TRT a bit under 5mos. 50mg 2x/week. Last test reading before TRT was 225. During TRT I'm at 700. It's GREAT not to have chronic muscle aches and calve spasms weekly during the night.

The down side: I have good genetics to build muscle and look like I work out even when I don't. While on the same basic clean diet, I have gone from 205 to 222lbs...and I JUST started working out again 2 weeks ago.

My neck went from a 16.5 to 18. Yeah- 18. All my large shirts are too tight. I just spent $700 having to get XL sized everything basics in clothes.

I gained a lot of water weight my first few months which came off after about 6 months or so.

I appreciate the feedback. I go back and forth on stopping. I'll probably get the labs suggested first and take it from there. I figure if I get strict about my diet and exercise, being on will be a lot easier than being off testosterone.

Remember that if you choose to stop TRT that you will go back to the way you felt before TRT. Don't mistakenly think your HPTA has been cured. And all the serious health risks associated with Hypogonadism will return.

You just need to reduce calories. Your diet will determine the results. If you eat a caloric deficit you will not lose muscle but you will not gain any either.

Definitely get your estradiol in the proper range for You. Everyone is different and a high or low "normal" could be effecting your water retention.

It takes a while to get "dialed in". When I started TRT, I retained a lot of water for the first couple months. Once I started to figure things out and get properly "dialed in" the water retention problem subsided for me and I started to lean out.

Get your labs done and find out exactly where you're at. Playing a guessing game will drive you crazy and take you much longer to figure this out.

Good luck!

Definitely get your estradiol in the proper range for You. Everyone is different and a high or low "normal" could be effecting your water retention.

It takes a while to get "dialed in". When I started TRT, I retained a lot of water for the first couple months. Once I started to figure things out and get properly "dialed in" the water retention problem subsided for me and I started to lean out.

Get your labs done and find out exactly where you're at. Playing a guessing game will drive you crazy and take you much longer to figure this out.

Good luck!

What is your protocol ?

An alternative would be to go to an EOD dosing schedule of 28mg of testosterone, equaling 100mg per week. There will be less fluctuations in your levels, possibly decreasing estrogen levels.

I'm currently doing this and have felt better than a 2X per week schedule. I've yet to get blood tests, it's been about 4 weeks, and am currently taking prednisone so I may wait a few more weeks to get bloods done when I'm done with the pred. But, so far, I feel better on EOD and the only downside is more jabbing but so far it's worth it.

man i hate prednisone. every time ive been on it in the past my setpoint goes up 25 pounds. Only thing that works is cutting carbs down to exactly 20g/day.

man i hate prednisone. every time ive been on it in the past my setpoint goes up 25 pounds. Only thing that works is cutting carbs down to exactly 20g/day.

It's nasty shit. But like all medications, has a purpose.

I can't really add anything to the OP's quandary as I'm pretty sure we're looking at bloating from excess estradiol.

Back