torn acl, any help or suggestions

jojolax36

I would greatly appreciate any info on if there is anything out there to aid me in my torn acl(knee). I just did it last weekend:mad: Any input on anything I should take to help would be a great help or if anyone has done the same you share what helped you get through this with me

thanx
all torn up

Well, nothing is sure until the surgeons get inside of your knee. I am in med school right now and just got done with an orthopaedic rotation. Do you know anything about the surgeons performing the operations and their reputations? Don't go to some crap surgeon in a tiny crap town that sees maybe 1 torn ACL per year. Go to one who you know has a good reputation and has done many ACL cases. What is sometimes done with a torn ACL is that a tendon is taken from your hamstring and is grafted on the ACL. Don't worry, the tendons in your hamstring aren't very important and you will have no long term effects from that. This isn't an arthroscopic surgery either and don't go to a doctor who wants to perform one. To effectively repair the ACL, one must get inside the knee the old fashioned way. The pain will be fairly bad following the surgery, but they should provide you will all the medications you need, and take them as often as prescribed. The most important thing however, is to perform the rehab and physical therapy RELIGIOUSLY. If you slack off on this, you will never be the same and you can kiss football goodbye. However, if you do all the assigned exercises and follow them to the T, you will have no problems. A young athletic guy like you will recover amazingly and be back on the field in no time. Time till fully recovered is usually 6 months, but I've heard of ppl back on the field in half that time. It all depends on how hard you work to get your knee back. Very, very seldomly do patients ever re-tear their ACL after it has been fixed because they end up being stronger than before the surgery. You just have to be sure and get your full range of motion back with the PT. Good luck to you bro and keep us informed. You'll bounce back in no time.

P.S. What kind of shoes were you wearing when you did this?

Also, after the surgery, you may want to begin taking Chondroitin/Glucosamine. Who knows if this works at all, some ppl swear by it, others think it has no effect. I took some to try it out for a back injury and I honestly think it helped some.

Thanks for the help and info, is was wearing some adidas turf shoes, but it wasnt that I planted funny and was hit at the wrong time, I saw it on film, pretty ugly. If I was hit a tenth of a second sooner or later I would have been fine, just tough luck, Ill keep ya informed

Yeah, hits can do it in a hurry. I just saw a replay of when Willis McGahee tore his up in the Orange Bowl...feel lucky that yours wasn't that bad. His leg was held together by only one ligament, the other 3 were gone.

Back