Training Advice

drforce4080

Stats: 6' 195 lbs, machine says 18% bf but I feel like it's more around 16%.
Lifts: Estimates: Bench: 270 Squat: 320 Dead lift: 380
Measurements: Arms: 14.5''- 15'' Legs: 26'' Waist: 34'' Chest: 42''
Routine
Day 1: Legs/Core
Squats 5x5
Leg Press 4x6
Leg extension 4x8
Hamstring machine thing: 4x8
Calf raises: 4x8
Core

Day 2: rest

Day 3: Chest/Triceps/Delts
Bench 5x5
Standing Overhead Press: 5x5
Incline Dumbbell bench: 4x8
Dumbbell flyes: 4x8
Side Raises: 4x8
Dips: 2x as many as I can
Closegrip Bench: 4x8
Skullcrusher: 4x8
Tricep Pulldown: 4x8
Core
Day 4: Rest

Day 5: Back/Biceps
Deadlift: 5x5; work up to 1x5 with heavy weight. (330 for 1x5)
Bent over Row: 4x6
Barbell Shrugs: 4x8
Lat Pull down: 4x8
Pull ups: 2x as many as I can
Barbell Curl: 4x8
Hammer Curl/ Incline dumbbell Curls: 4x8
Reverse Curl: 4x8
Forearms
Core
Day6-7: rest

Few questions. First off how does my routine look? I've been bulking and have gained about 18lbs and ~50 lbs on all compound lifts. This is gaining back mass/ strength that I've lost.

Like most people I want to be big/ strong/ lean. I don't feel like I'm big especially in the arms and I'm definitely not lean so should I
a. Cut to about 10-12% bf this summer while still lifting heavy and hope I don't lose strength then continue this routine
b. Keep bulking with this routine then cut later
c. Switch to higher reps on compound lifts now for a more straight mass based lifting routine?
d. Cut then switch to higher reps?

Any advice or opinions is appreciated on my routine/ diet/ anything else.

Stats: 6' 195 lbs, machine says 18% bf but I feel like it's more around 16%.
Lifts: Estimates: Bench: 270 Squat: 320 Dead lift: 380
Measurements: Arms: 14.5''- 15'' Legs: 26'' Waist: 34'' Chest: 42''
Routine
Day 1: Legs/Core
Squats 5x5
Leg Press 4x6
Leg extension 4x8
Hamstring machine thing: 4x8
Calf raises: 4x8
Core

Day 2: rest

Day 3: Chest/Triceps/Delts
Bench 5x5
Standing Overhead Press: 5x5
Incline Dumbbell bench: 4x8
Dumbbell flyes: 4x8
Side Raises: 4x8
Dips: 2x as many as I can
Closegrip Bench: 4x8
Skullcrusher: 4x8
Tricep Pulldown: 4x8
Core
Day 4: Rest

Day 5: Back/Biceps
Deadlift: 5x5; work up to 1x5 with heavy weight. (330 for 1x5)
Bent over Row: 4x6
Barbell Shrugs: 4x8
Lat Pull down: 4x8
Pull ups: 2x as many as I can
Barbell Curl: 4x8
Hammer Curl/ Incline dumbbell Curls: 4x8
Reverse Curl: 4x8
Forearms
Core
Day6-7: rest

Few questions. First off how does my routine look? I've been bulking and have gained about 18lbs and ~50 lbs on all compound lifts. This is gaining back mass/ strength that I've lost.

Like most people I want to be big/ strong/ lean. I don't feel like I'm big especially in the arms and I'm definitely not lean so should I
a. Cut to about 10-12% bf this summer while still lifting heavy and hope I don't lose strength then continue this routine
b. Keep bulking with this routine then cut later
c. Switch to higher reps on compound lifts now for a more straight mass based lifting routine?
d. Cut then switch to higher reps?

Any advice or opinions is appreciated on my routine/ diet/ anything else.

You e got to pick either bulking or leaning, it's generally very difficult to accomplish both at the same time. You can try a shorter bulk and cut cycles (example:calorie surplus for ~4wks and than cut for ~2wks and switch back and forth). But this method takes a lot longer than a traditional bulk followed by a cut. Personally at 6ft and 195lbs I'd bulk up some more than cut back down but if you're more worried about aesthetics you can cut and drop your BF% closer to 12% than bulk up from there. Either will work really just up to you and your goals.

I'm just accumulating a bit of fat on my chest and love handles which is making me a bit self conscious. I will probably be working all summer so I guess I don't need to show off. I might just slow down the bulk a bit with 200 less calories or so.

its really up to you. like he said at 6 and 195 you could still use some more bulk but of course its that time of the year again. you can always bulk as clean as possible and i didnt notice any cardio in there so you should try incorporating just a little. say about 15 mins stairmaster or treadmill incline of 2 and speed around 3.5. hit that after a workout and that could help. its always good to keep up with cardio a bit

at 14.5-15 inch arms it looks like they need some extra attention.. any reason you dont do bi/tri days? not trying to disrespect you or anything but thats what stood out to me.

I forgot to add that once a week i swim and once a week i run 3-5 miles. I always liked the chest/triceps day and back and biceps day. Shoulder i go into a 4 day split and do a chest day, back day, arms day and legs day? I always felt like they were lacking and I try hitting them hard from all angles. They get stronger just not bigger.

I should mention I'm still working to get back strength/size that I lost from hitting a rough spot in my life and having poor diet/training. Not as big or strong and a bit fatter than I was last summer.

I forgot to add that once a week i swim and once a week i run 3-5 miles. I always liked the chest/triceps day and back and biceps day. Shoulder i go into a 4 day split and do a chest day, back day, arms day and legs day? I always felt like they were lacking and I try hitting them hard from all angles. They get stronger just not bigger.

I've always liked 5 training days a week. Don't forget a shoulder day in there. I try to mix it up. Do tris with chest and bis with back for a little and then switch to giving them their own day
Keeps them guessing and on full arm days I just feel a better pump and seems like I get more out of it for my arms. For cardio you can always throw light cardio in after a workout and keep your long run and swim.

Mix up your reps for arms or bombard them with drop sets. Make sure you keep your form strict . It's not about the weight you move it's how you love it. Your form makes a big difference. Do you tend to cheat your reps often?

I should mention I'm still working to get back strength/size that I lost from hitting a rough spot in my life and having poor diet/training. Not as big or strong and a bit fatter than I was last summer.

You've taken a step in the right direction and made it back in! So that's a good start. Good luck and be consistent. That will be your ticket to make it where you wanna be

I try to keep my form as strict as possible and use lighter weights. I guess I might try a different rep scheme for arms too like heavier weight lower reps and see if that gets any response. I might also try the chest/bis back/tris. I normally do delts with chest/tris day and traps with back day. I've felt so much better in the last two months since I've gained some weight and strength back. My arms have grown about half an in but they're still small in proportion to my body. I don't think I've ever measured over 15 in though. Thanks for all the advice

I like your routine, make sure you drink plenty of water to keep yourself hidrated. Stay focussed on your plan and you'll soon see the results. Good luck in all your projects.

Thanks! It's been so long since I've felt this motivated. Seeing myself go up in all my lifts every week has given me more self confidence recently too.

Back