Training/shaping up for club sport rugby/workout ideas

The Conquistador

Ology's Golden Boy
I have not been 100% in the gym lately having just moved recently and have never been good w cardio since I had surg a few years ago, but just decided to join a beginner rugby club team at school and needed to know some good routines/workouts to shape up and so that I am at least somewhat ready to walk into it. Never played on a team or any sports so Im not sure of what will benefit my goals more than others. I will probably be placed as a back if that makes any difference in your recommendations but I am not for sure

If you lack any cardio endurance right now, then any cardio will help that I suppose.

The great thing about sports is that they serve their own purpose. As you play, you'll become better conditioned to play.

I've played for about seven years. get into decent cardio shape. your muscles need a good balance of power and endurance. you need to be able to tackle the 300lb guy, but you need to be able to do it multiple times over an 80 minute match.

not sure what your normal training routine is, but throw in plyometrics and sprints. see if you can find/make some hurdles too.

I had a heart surg at 19 and have an arrhythmia and when I had the surg there were complications and my stamina was shot. I started liftin back then to get my heart up without overdoing it and now wish I had maybe gone harder and more consistently .

I am open to training ideas for lifting as well. Im not sure what position they will put me at though

Legs need to be focused on a lot more. When I was conditioing pre-season we would workout (upper body, heavy before the season) and then go out and do cardio straight after lifting. We only done this on days we didnt workout legs. The cardio exercises built up in difficulty as time went on and by the time season rolled around we were in great condition. As grafixLSU said, plyo and explosive type exercises are essential also.

I have until feb 2nd to get ready and called up my old trainer and former fball coach and player to help me train and shape up. what can you guys recommend for legs?also will we be training them together at practices or will i have to on my own? its a club sport not varsity.

im not sure what position i will be playing so cant really do specific training for that but need a general plan. Im 190 and 5'10. used to be bigger but lost a lot of muscle and fat.

u guys ever do cycles for rugby?

i have been doing 30 min runs at level 5 on the treadmill. enough to get my heart rate up to about 140 but not so much that i was gonna fall over

Back