Triceps tendon killing me

Vennom96

For the past ohhhh maybe 6 months or so, any tricep extension exercise where I'm extending the weight up in the air murders the tendon that connects the tricep to the elbow! It didn't use to bother me before. If I warm up my triceps extensively then I can do pushdown exercises with the cables (still painful but tolerable) but nothing where I have to extend the weight up in the air such as skull krushers or where you extend a db above your head.

Close grip bench doesn't hurt but dips do. Anybody have any knowledge of what may be going on here or any suggestions to fix it?

Sounds like either tendonitis or some other form of inflammation. Take 600mg of ibuprofen 3 times a day for only like a week and see if you feel better. Don't take that dose longer then 10 days or you will screw up your liver.
The only way to really fix it would be to take time off from the gym (which sucks) until it has recovered and then start back up lightly.

Is the pain throughout the whole movement or just at certain parts? Stretch position? Full contraction?

The ibuprofen will be an indicator as to whether it is inflammation...if it doens't help, you may have some sort of tear in which you need to see a doctor ASAP.
I'm 43 so I use ibupfrofen more then I should but my liver values are good so I guess I'm not overdoing it.

That movement does bother people. I remember reading that PB doesn't do skull crushers anymore due to elbow pain. Maybe you should stick with close grip benches.

Try this.
Start with cable push downs, do 2 sets first and then do 2 sets wich both have 2 dropsets after.
After that go and try it, you wont be as strong but you probably wont feel anything.

I took time off too, got back in the gym started light then increased the weight and after 3 months BANG once again Mr. Tendonitis... it sucks dude!

what kinda hand placement you use on squats?

quit doing direct tri work cept for light high rep stuff. 50rep range. and this is after it heals.

cosigns on the high rep stuff. I do high rep 25-50 reps on thrusday's, often when i'm sore to strethc and get blood into the area to heal it. Works liek a charm. Bnad work also heals you up nice.

Every time my tries hurt in the elbow area I found I was over working them. Once a week I work heavy dedicated tricep work and about 4 sets of it. On theother day I go light as mentioned. 4-8 sets of 25-50 reps.

pullinbig said:
what kinda hand placement you use on squats?

quit doing direct tri work cept for light high rep stuff. 50rep range. and this is after it heals.

Hand placement on squats is about where hands would be if I were doing a front double bi pose.

What about doing cg cuz they don't bother me when doing that exercise?

Vennom96 said:
Hand placement on squats is about where hands would be if I were doing a front double bi pose.

What about doing cg cuz they don't bother me when doing that exercise?

i had the same prob til i changed my grip on squats. slide your hands all the way out to the collars. dont grip the bar let your hands hang on the bar. in essense what a lot of guys do is push up on the bar when squatting. this is like doing a behind the neck military with far more weight than you can press. absolutely kills the elbows and shoulders. it may seem odd at first but oce ytou get used to squatting like this the pain will usually stop. drop skull crushers and heavy push downs.

The only extensor movements I do are 2 arm overhead dumbell, 1 arm (rarely), or sometimes rope pressdowns (high reps 12+). Skulls bother a lot of people, if they bother you I'd avoid them for 3-6 months - or almost permanently. I dont feel I lost anything by not doing skulls anymore.

Dips and damn near anything pressing related (except inclines oddly) would eat my left shoulder, so I stopped doing anything related for months. Then slowly worked my way back up with rehab type weights and almost no volume set wise.

pullinbig said:
i had the same prob til i changed my grip on squats. slide your hands all the way out to the collars. dont grip the bar let your hands hang on the bar. in essense what a lot of guys do is push up on the bar when squatting. this is like doing a behind the neck military with far more weight than you can press. absolutely kills the elbows and shoulders. it may seem odd at first but oce ytou get used to squatting like this the pain will usually stop. drop skull crushers and heavy push downs.

Makes sense. I'll try it, thanks.

I've had the same a couple of months ago. I took a two week resting period, which made the pain go away. While doing triceps exercises, I massage the spot between elbow and tri's, by rubbing it horizontally with my index- and middlefinger. Never had the same prob since.

Can you gain mass from doing push down movements with cables? or is it absolutely necessary to keep the ex curl skull crushers to gain mass???

pullinbig said:
squats cause just about as much shoulder and arm trouble as they do back trouble . once the back gets so thick most of us dont have the range of motion to hold the bar in closer so holding the bar as you suggest is the only way to save the shoulder imo .

Back