TRT becoming a hassle- adjust dosage or quit?

What about the fact that Proscar will get you a 1 month (from last dose) deferral from donating blood? Most TRT folks have to donate 4-5 times a year to keep HCT and RBC in check.

I have been considering proscar but the potential sexual side effects have kept me from trying it. Anyone react negatively to it or are those just potential side effects they have to list for legal reasons?

Donating every 4 months is sufficient being on finestride and TRT. Research and evidence based practice back this theory up sufficiently

Dr B

Just wanted to give everyone an update.

As I continued to deal with my BPH issues, I decided to switch TRT docs and went with Dr Brian Henry, who is a class act. He took the time to discuss the problems I was having, and with his honest input I decided that I needed to stop the TRT and really get to the bottom of my BPH problem.

I went cold turkey and it really wasn't bad at all. During this time I worked with my urologist and an interventional radiologist specializing in the prostate to figure out what was causing my problem. We tried several different meds, I had a cystoscopy,an MRI done, and even a DNA test for hard to detect infections. After 8 weeks off of TRT and trying a bunch of different meds there was no change in my BPH symptoms. After everything I went through the docs concluded that my prostate was normal and they diagnosed me with chronic nonbacterial prostatitis. I did some research on this and found that it was a fancy way for saying that they had no idea what was causing my problem.

I continued to search the internet for answers and I believe that I have found the answer to my problem- Pelvic Floor Tension. I am now taking steps to deal with this.

During the 8 weeks that I was off TRT I did notice a few things. First, it seems that going off TRT somehow reset my sleep cycle and my sleep got better, although I continued to get up 2 times a night to pee. Secondly, I noticed a bunch of negatives- my energy level was not as good, my recovery time for vigorous exercise increased a bunch, and my libido decreased.

Going off TRT cold turkey ended up being no big deal. I was a bit tired for a few weeks but by week 6 I was pretty much normal.

In the end, since it is now apparent that the TRT was not causing the prostate issues, I decided to go back on TRT. Hopefully I will get my pelvic floor healed and eliminate my BPH symptoms soon.

Last edited:
Just a word of advice, be super careful about letting docs fuck around with your prostate. The idea of a cystoscopy creeps me out, and scares the shit out of me because I know what nerves pass through there. And drugs like levaquin will seriously fuck up a certain percentage of the population, like radicular neuropathy - stay away from fluoroquinolones.

You hit the nail on the head with your statement they have no idea what is causing your issues, so steer clear of anything that remotely smells of intervention.

Check out your pelvic floor tension, better yet get yourself a prostate massager from Aneros - if you can get over the issues around using it it will blow your mind.

Check into supplements like stinging nettle, saw palmetto, and selennium.

Dont stop the hrt. You might have anxaity or some form of it. Sleep is for the dead and whom. Just take a sleeping pill. Ive been hrt for 10 plus years now. I sleep good some times bad the others. I have a lot of musce tissue around my shoulders and presses on my nerves so my arms feel dead when I sleep wrong. I dont know what eles to say. Dont blame the hrt for sleep. Everyone goes thru it every once in a while

A lot of guys get started out on too high a dosage, then they get HCT issues and don't spend the necessary time adjusting their dosage and quit. Start on low dose and work your way upwards.

Back