UFC 85 Results - My 2 cents...

josh81

Jiu-Jitsu Blue
1. Herb Dean blew the Marquardt fight. The elbow of his was legal and did not merit a point deduction...Especially after already having one taken off.

2. Bisping's opponent was garbage...My prediction is the UFC will continue hyping this guy up and sending him to his home town to fight a bunch of smears. Where the fuck is Rashad Evans in all of this? He's the one who beat Bisping, yet still remains fighting on "ultimate fight night's" and barely making any appearances in the UFC...

3. Hughes is over. His takedowns aren't what they used to be, he gasses earlier, and overall he just appears to be burnt out. Alves will not get a title fight yet. He can blame himself for this, as he didn't make weight and nothing pisses off Dana more than that. Jon Fitch is next against GSP.

1. Herb Dean blew the Marquardt fight. The elbow of his was legal and did not merit a point deduction...Especially after already having one taken off.

Did you see how f'ed up Leites was when he tried to stand up after the knee to the face?

Yes, it was an elbow to the back of the head, but Marquardt hit him with about 3 to the side of the head, then Leites turned his head into Marquardt and Marquardt ended up catching him in the back of the head with one. It wasn't intentional and pretty hard to avoid when your opponent turns his head when you are throwing elbows.

2. Bisping's opponent was garbage...My prediction is the UFC will continue hyping this guy up and sending him to his home town to fight a bunch of smears. Where the fuck is Rashad Evans in all of this? He's the one who beat Bisping, yet still remains fighting on "ultimate fight night's" and barely making any appearances in the UFC...

Rashad fights at 205 and he is boring to watch. Not too many people look forward to Rashad fights.

The UFC needs to solidify Bisping in the 185 ranks so they put him with guys they know he will beat, but..... he was supposed to fight Leban but Leban had to pull out of the fight. Bisping vs Leban would have been a sick fight actually. I think you will see Bisping get a very tough match up next time he steps into the octagon.

3. Hughes is over. His takedowns aren't what they used to be, he gasses earlier, and overall he just appears to be burnt out. Alves will not get a title fight yet. He can blame himself for this, as he didn't make weight and nothing pisses off Dana more than that. Jon Fitch is next against GSP.

Hughes vs Serra . They both want it and let Hughes go out on his own terms. he is a legend in the sport and knows it is time to check out, but he wants his shot at Serra.

Alves vs Kos ???? Alves lost to Fitch and beat Hughes without making weight. He doesn't deserve GSP.

This card wasn't very entertaining. I was really pulling for Hughes though. I am not a Hughes fan, but the fact that Alves didn't make weight pissed me off.

Alves interview after the fight backstage pissed me off too. He said he knew he was going to knock Hughes out with a flying knee. Shut the fuck up and make weight Gina. Then he begged for a title shot and blamed not making weight on his ankle being severely injured (the same ankle he launch off of th land his flying knee). Heard of a sauna Alves? If Dana gives him a title shot I'll be pissed, he should make him fight 2 more times. Kos would be a good match, but GSP destroyed Kos and if Kos beats Alves, then what? If... I mean whenFitch loses they should have Alves fight him and depending on how close Fitch's fight with GSP is then have winner fight GSP.

Also, I think the Vera fight was stopped a little prematurely. I know Vera wasn't defending himself very well but he wasn't getting hurt either.

Kos would be a good match, but GSP destroyed Kos and if Kos beats Alves, then what?

If Kos beats Alves that means he doesn't deserve a title shot.

He beat a Matt hughes who is on the down slide in his career, but he has also lost to Fitch. How does Alves deserve a title shot? He needs at least 2 more wins against high profile guys.

I pretty much agree with whats already been stated above..
I've gotta agree with Easto on the Leites incident... I think that illegal knee pretty much had Thales in a haze the rest of the fight. Then later a "possible" illegal elbow.. it was a toss up for me because I thought Thales was winning the fight until the knee, so in that respect, I'm glad Thales won.
I felt bad for Hughes but I agree, he's just burnt. I personally think he took the fight as a favor and more to save Dana and the sport once Chuck pulled out.
The Thiago Tavares fight was good.
I don't know if it was me or what but Vera just didn't look as sharp and agressive as he did before..
How about the new comer Kevin burn (just got his BJJ blue belt) submitting a BJJ world champion black belt!! Wow! I've seen him fight though as an amateur/early pro and he's pretty good.
Over all the card turned out better then expected for me... I didn't have hight hopes going into this one.

weimen showed some much improved skills to go with his heart .nice.
ian not the biggest Hughes fan , but you cant think MMA without
thinking Matt Hughes , was a shame to see this happen to him .
seeing gsp pick him apart is great ,but watching a over weight
monkey suck the life out of him is pretty crappy .
imo alves won nothing .

Oh, I forgot all about the Vera fight...

The stoppage was disappointing, and seemed premature. Vera has taken some beatings in the past, and chances are, he could have gotten through that one. Not something Big John or even Herb Dean would have stopped a fight for...This is what happens when you let skinhead wannabe fighters ref matches.

Anyway, I don't think it really matters who gets the next few title shots at welterweight...GSP has come along too far, and I highly doubt anyone who is currently signed to the UFC has what it takes to get by him. And I hope BJ gets to rematch GSP at 170...GSP will ruin him once again and hopefully BJ and his fans can keep quiet just for a bit.

Back