Ufc 99: June 13, 2009

Eze

UFC 99: JUNE 13, 2009
venue: Lanxess Arena in Cologne, Germany

Main Card Bouts:
-Wanderlei Silva (32-9-1; #8 Light Heavyweight in the World)* vs. Rich Franklin (24-4)
-Cain Velasquez (5-0) vs. Heath Herring (28-14)
-Spencer Fisher (22-4) vs. Caol Uno (25-11-4)
-Mike Swick (13-3) vs. Ben Saunders (8-1-2)
-Marcus Davis (16-5) vs. Dan Hardy (21-6)

Preliminary Card Bouts:
-Terry Etim (12-2) vs. Justin Buchholz (8-2)
-Dale Hartt (6-1) vs. Dennis Siver (13-6)
-Stefan Struve (16-3) vs. Denis Stojnic (5-2)
-Todd Duffee (4-0) vs. Mustapha Al-Turk (6-4)
-Peter Sobotta (8-1) vs. Paul Taylor (9-5-1)
-Paul Kelly (8-1) vs. Roli Delgado (6-5-1)

Last edited:
I like the Wandy Franklin match-up. If Franklin was smart he will take that Gremlin down and break or choke something, but I think he has too much pride in his stand-up. Hard to call this one. Both fighters have been hit or miss lately. 5 years ago Wandy. Now...?

This is the weakest of the cards they've put out in recent memory. Some good matchups though. Davis. vs. Hardy should be a barn burner. No one is going to be able to call the Franklin/Wandy fight. I'd probably give the nod to Franklin based on fight IQ. Also looking forward to seeing Caol Uno back in the UFC.

I agree that this card is pretty weak. I think the UFC puts out some crap cards every other month, whenever they try to do 1 a couple months in a row.

This is the weakest of the cards they've put out in recent memory. Some good matchups though. Davis. vs. Hardy should be a barn burner. No one is going to be able to call the Franklin/Wandy fight. I'd probably give the nod to Franklin based on fight IQ. Also looking forward to seeing Caol Uno back in the UFC.

Ya, I wasn't real stoked about this card either when they announced.. but getting excited to see Swich Vs Killa B, Davis/Hardy and even Fisher/Uno.

If Wandy is on, I bet he gets inside with wild hooks and a lethal clinch/knee's. I don't think Franklin will be able to stop that.. If Wandy isn't on/agressive the it will mostly be a boring decision for Ace.

I like both Wandy and Franklin and neither can really afford a loss. Not a fight I am looking forward too only because I would hate to see either one lose.

Velasquez was much better than I though. He seems to have a weak chin though. Fight didnt went as I wanted since I was rooting for Kongo on this one.

Crocop showed us a little bit of his old self and I think he is ready to rumble with the heavyweights better now.

Imho I think Wanderlei won that fight. He was more dominant and was pushing forward. Got some nice punches and was really aggressive. Awesome performance.

Who wants to see Velasquez vs Crocop now? Or do you guys think he should fight the winner between Brock & Mir 2? I think the loser should fight Crocop or Kongo.

Fight of the night was definetely Franklin vs Wanderlei.

Velasquez was much better than I though. He seems to have a weak chin though. Fight didnt went as I wanted since I was rooting for Kongo on this one.

Crocop showed us a little bit of his old self and I think he is ready to rumble with the heavyweights better now.

Imho I think Wanderlei won that fight. He was more dominant and was pushing forward. Got some nice punches and was really aggressive. Awesome performance.

Who wants to see Velasquez vs Crocop now? Or do you guys think he should fight the winner between Brock & Mir 2? I think the loser should fight Crocop or Kongo.

Fight of the night was definetely Franklin vs Wanderlei.

Personally, I was completely disappointed in Valezquez.. I mean, we already know he's an elite wrestler, so now we know he's an elite wrestler who can lay on someone (a non-wrestler/striker) for 3 rounds and give little rabbit punches while on the back. He had about 100 chances to throw or even attempt a submission and didnt... he showed ZERO Jiu jitsu. He's very one dimensional. Hopefully next time, he'll mix it up and show thats he's a little more well rounded.
Ya, the Silva/Frankling was damn good but I personally think fight of the night was Davis/Hardy!!

Actually it ended up being one of the better cards so far. I was not excited about it AT ALL and it turned out great!!

Back