UFC star lands fight of the year? could be better

fog

futile amnesiac
in an article on yahoo sports, they are proclaiming (along with Dana White) that the Silva-Griffin fight is the fight of the year. while i agree it might be a good fight, i think that the only way a silva fight could be the fight of the year is if it was silva vs. GSP or silva vs. Evans. griffin is primarily a wrestler, silva primarily a striker. who's to say we won't see the same bullshit we saw in the Lietes fight? i know griffin won't be a bitch and just fall down any time silva comes at him striking, but i still think it's a bad match up. if White wants to get the respect back for Silva (who he proclaimed is the best pound for pound fighter in the world), then why not silva vs. GSP or silva vs. Evans. silva said he would fight anyone at any weight so i don't understand this matchup. it may be a good one, but i'm not payin for it. now, silva GSP or silva Evans, that i would pay for and call the fight of the year. thoughts?

Last edited:
Forest doesn't have a wrestling backround. He's pretty much a banger. I wold call him a boxer with a solid jitz backround. Rashad has an elite wrestling backround. He was a JUCO National champ and wrestled for Michigan State for 3 years. I would personally rather see Silva fight GSP or Alves after thier upcoming fight but I think this could be exciting. This fight is what your average MMA fan wants to see. 2 dudes standing up the entire fight and trading punches. I think it will be 2 rounds of Forest throwing medium power haymakers and Silva throwing laserlike precision jabs and nasty Muay Tai. I got Silva by TKO in round 2 if Forest comes to bang, which he always does.

I dont see how there could be any fight of the year without Lesnar. He is a warrior

Who do you think will win between GSP and Sliva? Silva i think is stronger and better at his weight sofor GSP to have to go up in a weight class may be tough for him

Who do you think will win between GSP and Sliva? Silva i think is stronger and better at his weight sofor GSP to have to go up in a weight class may be tough for him

I'd much rather see GSP win that one but, I think Silva's size and height (at any weight they choose to fight) will be too much for GSP to handle. If you match them up on paper and even equal out most things, you've still got Silva's reach/height and near perfect timing and speed. but it will be a great fight to watch and GSP definetly has a chance.
I just think the only way Silva will lose in the next say 2 years will be first, by someone with a world class ground game, tough chin, and aggressive style. If Leites was an aggressive fighter, he would have had the tools to beat him... or maybe second, someone with insane speed and footwork that can out point him and take him the distance for a decision.

i think evans could take silva, and i think GSP could hang real well, silva said he would drop to welerweight to fight GSP, thus no strain on GSP for weight. silva walks around at 215 so makiing weight for evans would not be an issue. all i'm sayin is forrest was a wrestler in college, and i love the guy, but evans put him out with striking, silva should do the same if it does not go to the ground. i would honestly pay several hundred to see silva vs. evans

I almost positive Forrest didn't wrestle in college bro. He's a sprawler and brawler but I don't think he wrestled in college. I do agree with you about Evans vs Silva as being more interesting. Evans has great head movement and powerful striking. I think Silva would take it, but I think Evans power is tough for anyone to handle. He has evolved so much since TUF. I loved watching him wrestle in college and I was disappointed watching him on TUF. I think he acted like a bitch and didn't look that great (mainly because he's not a HW) but he has come a long way.

You are right. Griffin is has NO wrestling background. He does have a hell of a chin, but as we have seen before can be knocked out. And as we have also seen before if it is possible to be knocked out Anderson Silva will eventually find a way to to it. He loves fighting those brawlers like Griffin. He picks them apart. Fast, accurate, and powerful. The best match up would be GSP but I still take Silva with that reach.

that was my mistake. i went to purdue university and there is an mma fighter that went to purdue and was the all state wrestling champ and his last name is griffin. i love mma and feel like an idiot. my bad.

Back