upright rows

Vennom96

I want to start doing upright rows to get some more trap development. The only problem is now that my back day is on Monday and my Shoulder day is on Tuesday. Would it be better to do these on my back day or shoulder day or should I not do them w/ this split? I don't want to overwork my traps by doing them Tues and I don't want to over work my delts by doing them Mon.

do your shoulders on chest/tri day. upright rows targets the whole shoulder so they would work i nicely on chest/shoulder/tri day.

with yuor routine you are hitting rear delts on back to back days. also if you pullin deads on back day you prolly dont need anymore trap work.

needsize is the only guy i know that does shoulders the day after bench. he has success with it but i dont know of anyone else. I dont do any shoulder movments other than them getting hit on the compound movments.

Last edited:
I do my upright rows om my chest/tri day and that seems to work fine for me.

Like pullinbig said, if you do deadlift on backday and shoulders the day after it would be to mutch for most lifters.

/Bruce

I do them on shoulder/traps day.

1) back
2) chest/calves
3) delts/trap/neck
4) arms
5) legs

be very careful with upright rows, the rotator cuff is in a very disadvantaged position in that exercise which makes it extremely easy to get an injury from it

even if performed with an ez-bar are upright rows still dangerous. If I use a normal straight barbell then my shoulders hurt a lot but with the ez they don't.

Do upright rows primarily focus on traps or side delts? what would you pick: side laterals or upright rows?

thanks

rows hit the entire head and a lot of upper back as well. very nice compound movment.

and as needsize mentioned be careful and use good form on any exercise. a little common sense is in order when training.

I grab narrow on the ez-bar. Hands a little bit more than 3 fists apart. Right on the downwards bent part of the bar. Sorry for the bad explaination ;)
Don't feel any pain in my rotator cuffs that way.

narrow... my shoulder sometimes gets stuck when i do wide :( one of them pops a little bit :( and plus with narrow i tend to feel it in my rear delts a lot more

I use a medium grip, i put my hands where the claws start on the olympic bar. Too narrow and i feel it too much in my traps and i don't need bigger traps. Too wide and it just f'ing hurts. I want to hit the upper back and shoulders both a good amount and the medium grip seems to get that done better than a wide or narrow grip.

whats the best way to do upright rows but not hurt u shoulders for me i do upright rows for power cleans thats were im the most weak at is bringing the weight up

I go about 1-1.5" outside of the grips on each side. Wider is supposedly better for delts, inside more for traps, I do delts and traps on the same day anyway, medium grip works ok for me.

i do mon-chest/tri/calves, tues-back, wed-bis+cardio, thursday delts/traps, saturday-legs. sometimes ill do bi's on tuesday.

Back