Very odd blood test results

BigStu81

Hey guys,

I know that the likely response will be that this is just one of the issues of using topical gels, but bear with me.

I've been on TRT for exactly a year now (since last June) and have been having three-monthly blood tests.

The starting dose of Tostran (Fortesta) put me at around 2300ng/dl so my dose was halved. In retrospect, I realised that I had experimented with applying the gel to my biceps the previous day, so it may have been too close to the blood drawing site.

However, my hemocrit was right at the top of the range too and I was putting on muscle at a phenomenal rate in the gym, so I do think it could've genuinely been high.

Second result (on half original dose) put me at around 600ng/dl with everything else in range.

Next test showed my level at around 1100ng/dl.

My latest test has really surprised me with a total test level of around 190ng/dl. As the test was first thing in the morning, I took the advice I found online and didn't apply the gel till after as I read it would likely spike the result - I thought this could be why my previous result was almost double the one before, despite being on the same dose.

I'm a bit confused now!

I thought the gel built up in the system, so it shouldn't have dropped to so low a level from lunchtime to the next morning. I'm now wondering whether my previous high readings were false positives and I shouldn't have had my dose halved originally. Alternatively, I'm wondering whether this last test was somehow skewed? I find it a lot harder to believe that it could read lower than higher, as the latter is usually due to blood drawn from near the application site.

Any thoughts?

I'm thinking this is good cause to move to injections.

Last edited:
Gels can have different absorption rates based on whats in your blood, so even food can affect it. I would chalk it up to a random value and worry more about how you feel.

Too many guys have an obsession with shooting for a specific number when on TRT and thats not what you should be doing, shoot for a program that alleviates your symptoms and use the lab work simply to make sure that program isn't causing issues with any other processes in your body.

If your values are good, you feel good, and one time your lab says 400 and another it says 900 what difference does it make?

Back