Ways to grow chest ? bench press question

JoeKkerr

Hello guys , im training since 5 years now

Small but ripped 5'8 60kgs

The bench press i think is most ovverated , sure some people feel the pump but im one of the unlucky rares who dont

My previous routine

Pushups 15-30x3

Flat Bench 15x3
Decline Bench 10x3
Incline Bench 10x3

Decline dumbell chest press 10x3
Flat dumbell chest press 10x3

Flys - 15-20x3

Reverse bench press 10x3

The problem is i feel chest working out only in Flat bench & Flat dumbell chest press & pushups, reverse bench press....other all affect my shoulder
I understand its an compound movement but the focus on chest just isnt what im able to get, i feel like i trained shoulders on chest day

The previous routine was given to me by my trainer who is been in this for 22 years, he trains everybody for free & does this for helping people , man is old very old

What are other things you guys can recommend , isolation excercises are welcome
My gym is kinda fitness thingy so it isnt a complete gym , many equipments are missing that a real gym has like dips bar, squat rack,etc

PS:- anybody who says i need to eat more is welcome to sponsor me the bodybuilding food expenses, i hope you guys know how expensive clean food in India is

Stick to what works for you. I use dumbbells. Incline and flat bench, reverse grip presses, and dips. You don't have to do what works for everyone else. You aren't everyone else. Lighten up the weight and work on form...

Incline dumbells and incline smith machine is the shit.... you can really isolate the pecs that way. Also hammer strength machines

Incline dumbells and incline smith machine is the shit.... you can really isolate the pecs that way. Also hammer strength machines

agree on incline smith machine.

I usually cycle between
flat bench
incline smith
decline bench
seated incline press
flat bench using shoulder shrug machine
cable flys
db flys
fly machine
wide dips

some work better than others, but I find they all work when mixed in properly

Reverse grip presses take the shoulders out of the equation, as do guillotine presses. I also LOVE crossovers (mid/high/scoops) as they really force you to squeeze your pecs at the end of the range of motion.

I recommend you try closing your eyes next time, so you can focus on feeling everything. Building that mind-muscle connection is far more important to hypertrophy than how many plates you can stack on the bar imo.

My .02c :)

When I get my bench up above 450 in years past with a very full relaxed looking chest, I think dumbell pullovers change the shape of ribcage widening your entire chest muscle itself.

I have always done only 3 sets flat bench, going 30,12,10.
go to incline Dumbells for 4 sets of 10-12 and one of maybe 6 reps.
I do 3 sets flat flys mocking the way arnold did them with a far far strech, I go right to dips at 4 sets to failure( sometimes just body weight and sometimes with a 90lb DB between legs)/ superseting with machine or dumbell pull overs getting as much stretch of my ribcage as possible. Arnold always said that widened his entire ribcage. anyway, then
I go to light incline flys focusing on stretching and begin supersetting in skull crunches or machine tri extension. I WILL end with decline cable flys one arm at a time completely stretching and trying to kill my tits and will do 4 sets of that with underhanded tricept pushdowns in case i didnt go hard enough already.

Anyway, short answer I think is the dumbell pull overs and make your butt touch the ground while you have the dumbell almost touching the ground on the otherside focusing on stretching the ribcage..

Last edited:
The chest is tricky as in if exercises are performed a certain way the delts come into play in a big way. What i would do is for the movements you find more delt coming into play is use machines, lower the weight and get a feel for using the pecs. Really focus on stretching and contracting them. Work on the best positioning on your elbows and humerus and shoulders then once you figured out whats best go back to the free weights and mimik that. Remember, no matter what exercise your doing for chest your shoulders must remain back and down at all times, chest out, and push through your elbows NOT your hands.

Last edited:
When I get my bench up above 450 in years past with a very full relaxed looking chest, I think dumbell pullovers change the shape of ribcage widening your entire chest muscle itself.

I have always done only 3 sets flat bench, going 30,12,10.
go to incline Dumbells for 4 sets of 10-12 and one of maybe 6 reps.
I do 3 sets flat flys mocking the way arnold did them with a far far strech, I go right to dips at 4 sets to failure( sometimes just body weight and sometimes with a 90lb DB between legs)/ superseting with machine or dumbell pull overs getting as much stretch of my ribcage as possible. Arnold always said that widened his entire ribcage. anyway, then
I go to light incline flys focusing on stretching and begin supersetting in skull crunches or machine tri extension. I WILL end with decline cable flys one arm at a time completely stretching and trying to kill my tits and will do 4 sets of that with underhanded tricept pushdowns in case i didnt go hard enough already.

Anyway, short answer I think is the dumbell pull overs and make your butt touch the ground while you have the dumbell almost touching the ground on the otherside focusing on stretching the ribcage..

I always try to think about what I am working. I think bench for mass is still the basic letting you lift heavy but moderate with a methodical movement. As said close your eyes and think what you are working. A wide grip with a squeezing to the top. Pushing your chest up and out.

As was said and I have said it before (from Arnold's book) pull overs with your but down. A big filling of your longs to expanding your chest an pulling the weight over. Listen it's typically a latt pull over but this exercise can and will EXPAND your ribcage. Thus you will have a much fuller and bigger chest look. lying down over a bench.

Back