Weight loss frustrations from an old guy

Old Duffer

Check out new guy intro for some stats but summary:

50-something yo. Fighting weight. Lift and cardiovascular mostly 3 days per week for last 7 years. One of the reasons I pursued trt. Weight gain and few gym gains. All other bw a-ok except my T=170ish

I can drop 25 lbs in 45 days at 700 cals per day. Done it numerous times ( I know, I know. I was dumb) but of course couldn't keep it off.

Started trt 3 weeks ago. Downloaded a cal/macro tracker exactly 1 month ago. App says "2#/week loss = 1770 call per day". Without exercise.

I'm still in the gym mostly (skipped a week with a cold), and in that month of tracking I have gone over the 1770 3 times. Thanksgiving, travel day before and last Saturday Xmas party. Otherwise I've been under 1770 every day. Anywhere from 50cals under to the day after the Xmas party splurge was 500cals under. And I've lost....... zero pounds!

Started at 235, was up a couple and now back down to 235. Kinda frustrating. Should have trt bw by end of the year. Man boobs are shrinking as measured by tape. Trying to do 40/30/30 protein fat carb for starters but carbs n fat still too high. I gotta try harder there!

Thanx for listening to an old guy ramble on ;-)

Well, here's how things are shaping up today. I work nites so breakfast/lunch/dinner don't mean much. I pretty much eat constantly...

Yesterday ended at 1485 cals. Got home to wife made breakfast. Egg white omelet with onions, green peppers and 1/2 oz cheese. 3 slices bacon. I tend to wake up mid day so 5hrs of sleep, 1 cup 2% milk, 1/4 cup almonds, can of tuna in water drained w/some horseradish n spicy mustard. Ate the tuna with celery sticks. Whole dill pickle, 6 cashews as a treat. Watch some news and back to bed for a few more hours. I drink coffee or tea almost nonstop. Tea plain, coffee with a splash of 2%. All logged. No sugar added to anything. Milk is a hard one for me to break.

Pre-gym: coffee, 1 scoop whey isolate in 1 cup 2%, scoop NOS Blast. Today was some core, some legs, 30mins elliptical. Good sweat. Biceps really sore from yesterday. 4000iu D, 2 glucosamine for my toasted knees.

At work, coffee in hand. 210 cals home made bear burger spaghetti (killing some leftovers).

That puts me at 1233cals with lunchbox still containing boiled egg, sardines in tin, mandarin orange and half dozen party leftover Lil smokies. Man I have trouble throwing away leftovers!

Pretty easy to see how I need to clean this up. Working on myself and my wife's cooking habits for me both. Understand tho, I'm not a body builder. Never will be. I'm just an old guy fighting father time. Trying to look better, feel better, get stronger :) I let my meat supply dwindle (been super busy lately) so am thawing bear burger, bear backstraps, deer sausage and hamburger. I need to pick up more chicken breast. Fire up the Traeger this weekend maybe.

Oh yeah. I weigh in same time, same place, same gym clothes and today....... up half a pound!!! Doh

Thanx again all :)

have you ever considered hiring a professional to do your nutrition for you?

Wait a few more weeks to start feeling the effects of TRT. What dose are you on?

You could see significant fat loss (especially androgen sensitive abdominal fat) irrespective of caloric intake. Especially at our age and starting from a low T baseline.

My advice is eat healthy but don't starve yourself and give the hormones a chance to work.

T was in the 170s when I started this journey. I just did my 4th pin of 200mg.

Doc wants me doing once a week test pins. Once he's happy with my BWs, I'll change to twice weekly
Also 50units HCG twice week (which if I understand correctly is 500iu/wk?) Seems unnecessarily high but following orders until stabilized
& 1 tab Anastrazole /week

I figured out where on this app to find trends. Does 7 day running average.
Daily Ave cals =1634
Ave macros : 35% carbs, 36% fat, 30% protein
Trying to do better on macros

Couple things of note. The increasing T is definitely taming my appetite. Not constantly driven to troll for snacks :) I've started measurements too. Down almost an inch belly, an inch waste, over an inch chest (moobs). Definitely starting to notice the drop off that happens a couple days before next injection. Mood & motivation both. I'll fix that soon enough! Gaining some strength as I get over this horrid stubborn cold

Headed into holidays. Not worried about diet, but will do much less gym time this next week. Keep on keeping on :)

Thanx again all. Merry Christmas!

Oops..... forgot to add.... weight? Frigging still 235 LOL!

Last edited:
Happy New Year all!

Update time: just did 6th TRT pin. Was on 'holiday' the last couple weeks but was a good boy. Mostly.
BW will be scheduled in a week or two. Excited to see the numbers!
Still running calorie deficit. Been under 1770 target almost every day.
Back in the gym today. 1st of 2016. Down 4 pounds! :naughty: not bad for the holidays. 231#s

Last couple weeks were really cold, rainy n crappy. I slept a lot! BWs may show a need for a bit of a tweak. Some acne battles now too.

It's all good tho! Big plans for 2016!

dude, you need a simple fat loss plan. see these 9 plans for various options to lose fast based around your lifestyle so you can stick to it

The scale can and will lie. Inches where there's no muscle to speak of ...that's what you want. Eat healthier and work out hard- good things will happen it just takes a little time

I appreciate everyone's input. The weight is starting to move. Just did my 7th trt injection. Weight now 230. BW coming soon. I'm starting a 3 day split 5x5 at the gym. Time to change things up! Still holding daily cals under 1770. Some days 1600. Some days 1450. Macros really close to 33/33/33.

Once I get this weight off and the trt Dr is happy, then, well, I'm gonna up my game

Quick update. Still kickin! 14 weeks of serious calorie/macro tracking. Average just over 1600 cals per day. Scale hit 222 today :elephant:

Still hitting the gym 3-4 days a week. Trying a new 5x5 with HIT. Just mixing it up. Some days are pretty tough with the calorie deficiency but still making gains. BW for my TRT tweaks coming in March. Then another attempt at donating. Packages are arriving. Getting antsy but going to do it right!

Good times!

I have been struggling with this stuff a lot in past, not anymore tho. What I can tell you is, It want a quite strong will, determination and vision of future yourself. What I found ou tis you have to find what works best for you.
For me it was one fitness system - Subconcious diet, that I found. It worked like charm for me and I lost 30 pound thanks to it. There is one review I found. :)

*************/article/subconcious-diet

Last edited by a moderator:
so hows it all going?

Quick update. Still kickin! 14 weeks of serious calorie/macro tracking. Average just over 1600 cals per day. Scale hit 222 today :elephant:

Still hitting the gym 3-4 days a week. Trying a new 5x5 with HIT. Just mixing it up. Some days are pretty tough with the calorie deficiency but still making gains. BW for my TRT tweaks coming in March. Then another attempt at donating. Packages are arriving. Getting antsy but going to do it right!

Good times!

So hows it all going? Hows the body weight now? Hows the TRT working out for you?

Very condensed thread merge. Hold on to your hats!

On April 26th, I touched 208#s. My goal was under 210 and then do a cycle.

Spent a week holding 210#, and against better advice jumped into cycle #1. I'm old, I'm stubborn, Yada Yada yada...

TRT stable enough for my liking. Dumped trt doc. DIY now. 100mg/wk = 1058 test. 1mg/wk Anastrazole not enough, 2mg/wk too much. That's all the data I needed for the next step.

Time jump: http://www.steroidology.com/forum/my-steroid-cycle-forum/685626-time-old-dude-step-up.html

All is well. Thanx for following

Back