weight training vs cardio

for straight up fat loss cardio is going to be your best bet. Depends on what your goals are. If your only talking 5-10lbs then diet and weights should get that, but if your talking just losing weight and lots of it, cardio is really the only way

Cardio = not needed to lose fat. I like cardio 2-3 time per week it keeps my heart healthy and my BP down.

Again, I agree with the diet + crossfit thing. One thing I want to point out is that with some lifts (squats in particular, but also the olympic lifts), you're getting a whole body workout in. You're working a lot of muscles. Do this, and keep it up for a while. Don't necessarily go heavy, but keep your heart rate up for a while (this may be 20 minutes, it may be 60 minutes, it depends on your capacity). This has a dual effect: you burn fat in the aerobic range, and your body will build muscle if your diet is on point. This results in burning more calories at rest.

Personally, I run once a week, but not very far. I lift every single day (I do take rest days, but I do real light lifting those days to keep my joints and muscles feeling fresh).

And I sneak in the occasional crossfit workout. It's fun, in that gasping on the floor kind of way.

But really the question here is what do you mean by "cardio"? Because the term is misleading. I hear "cardio" and think "140-150bpm for 20+ minutes". You may actually mean "running" or "elliptical" (ugh). Any exercise can be fat-burning, including deadlifts. It's really just how you do it.

If you want to burn fat, it starts with diet.

i agree with poster you can get some cardio by less rest in between reps, and how hard u push or how many reps etc..

Here are really nice and most informative article is written by you. I am totally agree with you. I think that cardio is better than other workouts. It is most effective to burn extra calories.

Cardio exercise help you to increase your heart health, stamina and burn some extra calories
Weight training help you to get stronger,
tone your muscles,
improve your appearance,
increase your metabolism to burn calories more efficiently all day long, and fight age-related muscle and bone loss.

So choose weight training

excellent review. I do both 3 days weight training, 2 days high interval cardio ( 30 sec on 30 sec off at high speed treadmill ) I lost fat like a fast race car. Weight training is very important, so compound movements, it keeps you looking fit, and helps you lose fat

agree with all, i think excessive cardio flattens you out, and can take away from your muscle gains. If you are very disciplined with your diet and know your body, than you can lose alot of weight without cardio....however, i do think a bit of cardio can help speed up the process and help get rid of the most stubborn fat.

I have to say i find it funny watching all the people in the gym on the treadmill or elliptical working tirelessly for over an hour. Although i admire the dedication, I'd be willing to bet that the majority of them have awful diets and no understanding of discipline in the kitchen, which is a shame because diet is much more efficient in acheiving weight loss than cardio imo.

Once again though, it also must be stated that doing cardio occassionaly is important no matter what, especially if you are on cycle. you want to keep your heart and cardiovascular system healthy.

I agree cardio helpful for reducing fat. Make your diet plan proper and than according to it plan your workouts. Doing cardio occasionally will also have added advantage.

Befor I started weight training .. I only did cardio and cleaned my eating habits up a bit and I noticed great results.. And now I still do about 30min sessions daily..
It keeps me thick not huge but thick..

Last edited:
Back