what goes in your head

AngryMuscles

i dunno where to post this but i'm quite curious and want to know your side of the story/experience.

on the 3 lifts,
squat
deadlift
bench

when you're about to lift, regardless it being heavy weight or not..

what goes into your mind?? do you feel hyped up??? are u scared?? what are u thinking?

thanks!

Before I complete a heavy set, I've already pictured myself doing it in my mind. I focus on slow and perfect form with perfect tempo. I tell myself, "i've done this weight before, this is nothing," regardless of whether or not it's a PR. Then it's go-time!

Aczech said:
Before I complete a heavy set, I've already pictured myself doing it in my mind. I focus on slow and perfect form with perfect tempo. I tell myself, "i've done this weight before, this is nothing," regardless of whether or not it's a PR. Then it's go-time!

yea pretty much sums it up for me. i clear my mind after i picture myself lilfting the weight, breath deep a few times and then lift. sometimes i picture mulligan in his thong just before lift off.

Depends on the weight. If I'm doing a heavier "warm-up" set, then I just focus on form. If I'm going for a PR, I try to go psycho in my mind (without showing it on the outside like a crazy man). Obviously I still try to keep perfect form, but allow my body to do it by itself through working memory. I'll drop the weight if I don't think form will be/is good.

JT190 said:
Nothing like some disturbed blaring in the headphones before a heavy set.

Disturbed just isn't enough anymore....I'll let a random dude hit me in the face, that usually get's me going

Aczech said:
Disturbed just isn't enough anymore....I'll let a random dude hit me in the face, that usually get's me going

you got a mother in law? if not think about mine. it will do the job.

I picture my wife cheating on me and the guy coming up to me and laughing in my face, while my wife stands behind him

a 1RM sq scares the shit out of me, I dont need much psyching, more focus.

a 1RM bench again, I try to focus on the technique (shirt groove, leg drive etc) that'll let me complete the lift.

a DL 1RM I go fucking batshit. So much less to worry about technique wise I slap and shout and all the rest of it.

Back