What would happen if a skinny person trained only arms?

goingtowin

So I've never seen anyone who was tiny with big arms..

What exactly do you think would happen if a tiny guy (like really skinny) went and and trained only arms for 5 years. Would he walk away with guns and no other muscle haha?

Do you think heavy compounds such as bench and rows and stuff like that are critical for arm growth or could someone get away with just isolation??

I'm just curious because I know people who train just arms (just a dumbell set at home I think it goes up to 50 pounds) and they never see any progress.. what's your thoughts?

If a this guy is training arms only and not getting huge I would say something is wrong with diet and training routine.

For the ultimate fullness you will have to utilize and incorporate some other movements to stimulate the full spectrum and movement. Inside / Outside, center peak and also the full length movement to elongate what that particular body can reach.

At some point you need shoulders and other points to add to the load to enable you to handle the upper weight.

Feed the muscle, train, rest and it will do the process, to a degree and diminishing returns due to other parts not adequate.

My .02 .
OMM

There is a natural Human growth hormone involved in growing muscle past the point of natural. For example a person that only trains chest and back, they will only grow so big then they will hit a limit, vs the person that trains legs as well.
What’s interesting about heavy compound movements using legs is it produces the most natural growth hormone, thus if someone wanted to grow their arms bigger Incorperating a heavy leg day would absolutely be beneficial.
So the old myth of “if you want big arms do leg press or squats” does pass the test of scientific reasoning.
More over, if a person just trained arms they actually would NOT grow as much as a person that would train full body.

I've heard that before... Train a big muscle together with a small muscle and you'll get increased growth.
I've never noticed a difference and I've never had a PT recommend it as beneficial.

But i'm curious about the truth :p

I'd like to see it happen but it just won't. When your arms get stronger so do other muscles used to support the movement. Particularly in the example used being dumbells. A man with tiny shoulders and back is not gonna pick up heavy dumbbells very often without growing in more than the desired location. Would love to see it but we dont because it's just not possible. Entertaining thought though:)

There is a natural Human growth hormone involved in growing muscle past the point of natural. For example a person that only trains chest and back, they will only grow so big then they will hit a limit, vs the person that trains legs as well.
What***8217;s interesting about heavy compound movements using legs is it produces the most natural growth hormone, thus if someone wanted to grow their arms bigger Incorperating a heavy leg day would absolutely be beneficial.
So the old myth of ***8220;if you want big arms do leg press or squats***8221; does pass the test of scientific reasoning.
More over, if a person just trained arms they actually would NOT grow as much as a person that would train full body.

Ah haaa.... :dance2: I'm so glad that this point has been brought up. I never hear much about this anymore but yes I have know this to be true by my experience and training others.

I remember talking to Frank Zane of all people long ago. He was a smaller type guy and I always wanted to copy his build ( if you know what I mean). Myself being a skinny Ecto I wanted to put on more mass OVERALL. Ya know just thicken up through out.

I asked him what was best to strengthen my whole body, to thicken up... to just grow in all areas .. His answer was to do squats. Yep free squats. This exercise will stimulate your whole body to utilize and synthesize the foods and exercises even into some areas that are not being TARGETED during other exercises. :dunno:

I met Tom Platz in G'ville one year in 83' ish. As he was showing off his legs and promoting his different routines for legs ( and some supplement he was using)he also advised some of us Ectomorphs to be sure to have a good leg routine , specifically squats :laugh2: because it would help "thicken and grow you" lol

More .02 .....
OMM

Last edited:
based on height and weight, let's say a skinny 6' feet tall guy only trains biceps and he weighs 140 pounds no matter if he trains heavy or light weights, high or low reps with a concentration on all reps, he will only obtain a 12'' guns, unless he has some genes or synthol for a cheat gain he won't obtain a 20 inch biceps, even with genes at 140 pounds he won't gain no more than 12-13 inch biceps,

it takes 10 to 15 pounds Increment per body weight to add 1 inch on the biceps.

10 to 15 pounds Increment per body weight to add 1 inch on the biceps like mr.P said and you would end up looking like mr. Incredible.

Very, very few people can build / grow more then 1" per year. Lean, show to show and that from what was just agreed upon goes to support what I say...... A man can only build between 15-20 lbs a year. Again this is can I say solid hard dry to dry at state.
Note there are some variables of course.

OMM

As long as you have strong core training to support the added muscles youll be allright. I wonder what 3J would suggest here...

Back