what should i be consuming after cardio???

carljaxx005

Ive recently decided to change up my gym routine and I need a little help......
4 or 5 times a week I would wake up and go do 30-40 min. of cardio at the gym on an empty stomach, a couple hours later go back to the gym to lift. Im on a low carb diet, so training for me on no carbs is very difficult. To save some time, I just started doing morning cardio as usual on an empty stomach, drinking a whey shake with some flax, then weight training immediately after. Its still very difficult, but Im doing a high intensity routine with short rest periods. Is this still an effective way of training, or should I be doing cardio after my workout? Also, is a shake with flax ok to have before training?? Cant think of anything else to eat thats convienient and low carb...please help!!!

Even though you are on a low carb diet, you should refuel properly after you lift. Protein shake and sugar/carbs or something like that.

I wouldn't worry too much about what you eat after cardio though. I like to have protein before....maybe a little fat but not usually.

As for weight training immediately after cardio......I don't think you should weight train on an empty stomach unless you are really trying to lean out, closer to competition. A bit of fuel is preferred. So maybe drink a protein shake after cardio and before the workout if they are back to back.

I also wouldn't suggest back to back or on the same day, but some people have no choice due to time constraints.

As for cardio before or after the workout.....it's really your choice. I think working out first is good, eating protein and then doing cardio. But if you want to do cardio on an empty stomach.........it's really up to you.

In a situation such as yours, different things work for different people.

Back