What the hell do dips really do?!

• Thread starter The Ejackulator
  • Start date
T

The Ejackulator

Sometimes people say dips workout your chest, some say back, some say shoulders, some say traps, sometimes it's just rediculous. I always thought that dips do tris, thats why on trisep day I do 5 sets of dips.

What do dips really work out?

They work your chest and your tri's and to an extent your front delts.

The position of your body will determin what muscle take the most stress from the exercise.

Body Verticle: Tri's

Body Leaning Forward: Chest

For example, if you lean forward you will feel the dips alot more in your chest opposed to doing them verticle. But in the end, dips works all 3 muscles mentioned. If you want to put more of a focus on one muscle..change your body position.

Dips give me much better results than benching, they work your triceps as well as pecs.

i do both pressing and dips. of course since u have to change shit up all the time so ur body doesnt get used to things, i havent done them lately but will resume them after my break.

You don't actually have to change stuff up all the time. All you need to do is avoid repeated bout effect and there are several ways to do that besides changing your workout regularly.

Anyway, dips are awesome. I do them leaning forward in the AM, then do benching in the PM. I feel more tightness after the dips than I do after the bench. I hang a ton of weight from my waist when I do dips though.

Ever since I started incorporating dips in my workout, I have noticed way better tris and my chest has also improved. I also do weighted dips and I find dips are a perfect exercise to superset with any chest or tri exercise.

Thanks guys, this helps a lot. I'll start doing dips on chest&tri day, along with dumbell suicides, trisep benching, and iso lat chest/tri machines.

When I do dips I do 5 sets of 20, but I always feel it in my tris and sometimes upper back. I'll try them leaning forward. Thanks again.

Back