what 'whey' is the best one?! (I've never been so confussed)

Future Prodigy

I was looking into buygin some protein from trueprotein.com but there is so many different 'kinds' of whey.

what is the difference between:

concentrate, isolate cold-filtration, isolate ion-exchange, isolate microfiltrated

whey ion-exchanged is the best. It tastes the best and does the job best.

two kinds of whey that you need to be concerned with primarily.

cold filtration isolate and cassein. the isolate i think is the best quality for the price, and the cassein is for before you go to bed due to its slow dissolving nature.

the different version just go through different filtering processes. concentrate is going to have the highest amount of (generally negligible) fat, carbs, lactose, etc. the other wheys are filtered more, and each goes through its own unique process.

is one going to give you bigger gunz than the others? no, just pick something from a quality company like TP and go with it. I think MPI is the best bang for the buck. Its 20/80 whey/casein and priced well. anybody that says "X protein is the best" is a lying sack of shit. theres no best, and the differences between them are negligible in the real world.

I like the Isolate Cold-Filtration

Tastes the Best
Mixes very well
No bloat or gas for me.

ive never used trueprotein before, do you make your mix 100% whey isolate cold-filtration or is it good to add a couple %'s of something else? What do you guys normally do

and where do you add the discount, it says its already taken off the discount for it being over 16 lbs but it wont let me add the one given on this site

I use MPI - milk protein isolate. Its naturally 80/20 casein/whey, and is a great all around protein. With new data showing that a whey/casein mix is better PWO than whey alone, and casein being superior at other times anyway, it makes MPI a great all-around powder.

You add the discount code during the checkout process. You may not be able to apply it with 16+ pounds, but you should be able to AFAIK. Ive never ordered that much.

Aczech said:
whey ion-exchanged is the best. It tastes the best and does the job best.

tastes the best, yes, but i disagree with does the job best. its AA profile is no different than concentrate.

OP: concentrate is the cheapest and as effective as ion-exchange isolate. It tastes worse though, doesn't mix as well as isolate, and can cause gas and bloating in SOME people. try concentrate first and if you dont bloat, keep with it because it is alot cheaper than isolate.

suareezay - where is this data? I only ask because i have never hard any board members advocate for a 80/20 (casein/whey) ratio in the past. This is news to me. I always thought whey was the best because it entered your system the quickest?

Future Prodigy said:
suareezay - where is this data? I only ask because i have never hard any board members advocate for a 80/20 (casein/whey) ratio in the past. This is news to me. I always thought whey was the best because it entered your system the quickest?

i dont have the time to find it now, and theres nothing conclusively showing whey+casein is superior pwo, but the research brings up interesting points. (off the top of my head, less protein being oxidized due to the longer digestion of the casein and therefore an overall better nitrogen balance sticks out in my head). people have long been recommending milk PWO as a good combination of whey+casein+carbs.

edit: there are no references for this, so take it for what you will, but this is noteworthy.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do;jsessionid=70955B6EB403AEAAF9618D3A8A980635.hydra?id=702016

Now here's a surprising study: Forty-four resistance training men received either 48g of carbs alone, 40g of whey and 8g of casein, or 40g whey + 5g glutamine + 3g BCAA. At the end of ten weeks, the group getting the whey with the 8g of casein gained more LBM than the other groups. So should we add a little slow-digesting casein to our fast-acting post-workout drinks like Surge? Hmmm…

and yes, whey is digested the quickest, but this becomes a moot point considering most people eat pre-workout, and will undoubtedly still have aminos in their blood from that meal.

Last edited:
40g/8g is a lot different then that milk protein mix of 80/20 (%) though... its like compairing apples and oranges. Do you use that 80/20 mix after your pwo drinks yourself?

Easto said:
I like the Isolate Cold-Filtration

Tastes the Best
Mixes very well
No bloat or gas for me.

I agree for the same reasons. The cold filtration isolate is my choice for during and post workout. I love the orange juice indulgence flavor.

Future Prodigy said:
40g/8g is a lot different then that milk protein mix of 80/20 (%) though... its like compairing apples and oranges. Do you use that 80/20 mix after your pwo drinks yourself?

while its not quite an 80/20 ratio, the phrase "apples to oranges" hardly applies. this 8g of casein is still relevant. the take home message, at least in this case, is that whey+casein was superior to whey alone.

I dont use a lot of powder, i prefer to eat my calories, even pwo. But when i do use powder it is MPI.

I have tried MPI. It is good, but I like the CF ioslate the best. Mix it in water and it isn't a thick shake. It is almost like juice, no grit or bloating of the stomach for me.

1)So i'd be ok using that MPI as a PWO drink?

2) would it be better as a PWO if i made the mix 85 (MPI)/15 Whey concentrate?

3) That mix would also be good before bed wouldnt it?

4) have you added any flavour to your batch in the past? The product description for MPI makes it seem like itd have a funny taste, i was thinking of maybe adding chocolate? (producing a quasi chocolate milk?)

5) I like the idea of MPI as it seems to be more versatile than straight whey... if im wrong let me know... what is the typical expirary date on MPI is buyin 10 lbs too much?

Last edited:
Back