Whats the 'secret' to lifting in the morning?

Future Prodigy

I know numerous people here have given studies that show you get optimal lifts in the evening but due to martial arts and work schedules I have decided to workout in the mornings. I know my lifts will initially suffer (and I will not lift as much as I would in the evening) but I figure that lifting lighter weights in the morning is better than none at all.

My question is, what’s the secret to doing these God forsaken morning routines!? I seem to have no energy at all and can barely ever finish a workout. Another huge factor is the 1 hour+ rule of doing activity after eating. This is crazy, because one needs to be up at 5, to eat, in order to do a 6am workout and leave for work at 7:20.

So, all you morning junkies out there... fill me in on the inside secrets to being successful with morning routines.

Stop thinking about it too much, and just go train...

I train AM every day, and the odd time I have trained PM I felt like It was shit compared to my AM sessions.

So, did you guys eat in the morning? What was your morning routine like - wake at 5, eat at 5:10, workout at 6:30, etc?

I need some serious tips, cause it definitely is not working in my favor right now.

the eating that happens during early morning workouts are mostly light ones...like oatmeals and fruits and eggs....throw in protein shake and that's it.

for the energy part during early mornings, start with cardio..till you're awake and all warmed up. that usually works.

Eat breakfast, drink some coffee, warm up with some light cardio and light weights... then get to it. There really isn't that much more to it.

For me AM is the 'Pinnacle moment' to train. Not all days are like that, but not only do I have great workouts in the morning, it also energizes me for the rest of the day.

For me AM is the 'Pinnacle moment' to train. Not all days are like that, but not only do I have great workouts in the morning, it also energizes me for the rest of the day.

I agree, plus there is never that many people in the gym and you don't have to wait for stuff like at night when it's crazy busy.

I love training in the morning i seem to have more energy in the morning depends on my work but i usually train 2 or 3 times a week real early before i start work get up around 3am in the gym and training around 3.30am as for food i dont eat much at that hour proiten shake or a piece of fruit off i go if you had a good dinner you dont need much food that hour of the morning IMO

CHEERS GT

The first two weeks will be an adjustment for you but then your body will adjust and you will find yourself wide awake and ready to go for you lifting session. I get up at 4 am each morning to lift. I have been doing this for a few years now and find that I do not even need to set the alarm clock anymore. I just wake up at the same time each morning. I have a protein shake before my workout on weight training days and go fasted on am cardio days.

On my morning training sessions I drink a protein shake and have a slice of whole wheat bread.

I start out with a light cardio session and then for 10-15 minutes, warming me up, then I do core work. Pushups, abs, planks..etc. to get that blood following and then I hit the weights for 45-60 minutes.

I prefer morning training sessions however the child care area isn't open as early as I would like to train. So I stick with Evening training sessions.

The first two weeks will be an adjustment for you but then your body will adjust and you will find yourself wide awake and ready to go for you lifting session. I get up at 4 am each morning to lift. I have been doing this for a few years now and find that I do not even need to set the alarm clock anymore. I just wake up at the same time each morning. I have a protein shake before my workout on weight training days and go fasted on am cardio days.

Agreed. My gf hates it. Even on off days I just shoot out of bed and get to it. Love AM training.

you just have to get in routine with it. for many years I lifted after work but being that my gym is an absolute zoo at night i mostly go in the mornings now. it took some getting used to but after about 2 weeks its not so bad. i get up at 5:45, make myself some eggs and oatmeal, and im usually on my way to the gym by 6:45. I finish up around 8 and Im at work by 8:30. I then have my entire night free.

you just have to get in routine with it. for many years I lifted after work but being that my gym is an absolute zoo at night i mostly go in the mornings now. it took some getting used to but after about 2 weeks its not so bad. i get up at 5:45, make myself some eggs and oatmeal, and im usually on my way to the gym by 6:45. I finish up around 8 and Im at work by 8:30. I then have my entire night free.

Sounds exactly like me.

Here's the secret:

1.Wake up
2. Get dressed and have a protein shake and coffee
3. Get to the gym
4. FUCK SHIT UP

If you have something to do you're better off just getting it done instead of talking about it. That's how I work out in the AM.

here's the secret:

1.wake up
2. Get dressed and have a protein shake and coffee
3. Get to the gym
4. Fuck shit up

if you have something to do you're better off just getting it done instead of talking about it. That's how i work out in the am.

^^word!

Stop thinking about it too much, and just go train...

I train AM every day, and the odd time I have trained PM I felt like It was shit compared to my AM sessions.

^^^^ this a 100%...i dont know why..but morning i always feel like i have more energy and every session is good.

Back