White VS Wheat

Jsanti

Ok, im looking to get the maximum energy out of my foods for training without eating a bunch of crap and putting on fat. Im not really dieting but just watching what I eat so...

Regular pasta VS Whole weate pasta- Would regular pasta give me more energy vs weate? I'm currently eating weate and don't have crazy energy like I did when I just eat what ever I wanted. Or should I stick with weate and suck it up a bit to reduce fat consumption?

Jsanti said:
Ok, im looking to get the maximum energy out of my foods for training without eating a bunch of crap and putting on fat. Im not really dieting but just watching what I eat so...

Regular pasta VS Whole weate pasta- Would regular pasta give me more energy vs weate? I'm currently eating weate and don't have crazy energy like I did when I just eat what ever I wanted. Or should I stick with weate and suck it up a bit to reduce fat consumption?

Here's the kicker.. if you want the max benefit out of all your carbs, you want WHOLE GRAIN. That's the key. Just because it says "wheat" does not mean it's whole grain. There are just as many processed wheat products out there as there are white ones. Whole grain products are better for you, more nutritious, and are broken down easier by the body which equals max energy and less conversion to fat for storage.

Oh ok, I didn't know there was a difference in whole grain/whole wheat. Thanks! Should I stay away from reg pasta all together? Also, with potatoes- regular or yams/sweet potatoe?

Jsanti said:
Oh ok, I didn't know there was a difference in whole grain/whole wheat. Thanks! Should I stay away from reg pasta all together? Also, with potatoes- regular or yams/sweet potatoe?

Your welcome! A sweet better is a better choice over the regular potatoe. Wheat's fine, just look for the 100% whole grain wheat. Here's a section of an article that might help explain the concept...

Whole Grain Vs. Whole Wheat - What s the best for you? Part I We have all seen it, 100% whole wheat bread that sits next to the white bread. It looks like white bread, but it says enriched. Enriched with what? Well, let me back up a little. When wheat is harvested the whole grain is taken to the refinery. REFINERY, did you see that! The wheat is heated to a point when the germ and the bran fall off. What is left is the starch, the white part, the not good for you part. The part that has a long shelf life and is bug resistant. Do you know why it is bug resistant? Bugs CANNOT sustain life in it. They will die if they only eat this refined grain.
What is whole grain? It is the WHOLE grain used in the process of making bread, cereal and the building blocks of many other foods. For it to be truly healthy whole grain needs to be listed on your bread, cereal or other food in the number 1 or number 2 position on the ingredients list. No, whole wheat flour which is followed by (enriched white flour, niacin, and iron) is not healthy, it is a way of making people believe that they are getting a whole grain bread. They are not lying, it is whole wheat flour, but not whole grain. It did come from the wheat plant and it is all wheat, but not all grain.

Whole grain products are better for you, more nutritious, and are broken down easier by the body which equals max energy and less conversion to fat for storage.

It was my understanding that a whole grain is more difficult for your body to breakdown - therefore expending more calories in the break down process - and releasing a slower and steady stream of sugar keeping your energy and glucose levels balanced, therefore there being no spike in insulin this would prevent fat storage as opposed to simple carbs which are released quickly and spike insulin levels. Is this correct?

strictaddict said:
take white bread/ buns/pasta out of your diet, does nothing for you.

Thats absolutely ridiculous. Theres nothing wrong with real pasta, even on a cutting diet in moderation. Doesnt even need to be wheat either unless you prefer the taste. Im not talking mac and cheese here, but real Semolina. Nothing enriched in it and very low in GI. Should be a staple in a bodybuilders diet IMO.

Back