Why NOLVA alone is BEST for PCT

stretch1

The following is what is believed by MOST bro's. This is actually a quote from well known post cycle therapy (pct) Dr. Michael Scally

Clomid acts as an estrogen, rather than an antiestrogen, by sensitizing pituitary cells to the action of GnRH. Although tamoxifen is almost as effective as Clomid in binding to pituitary estrogen receptors, tamoxifen has little or no estrogenic activity in terms of its ability to enhance the GnRH-stimulated release of LH. The estrogenic action of Clomid at the pituitary represents a unique feature of this compound and that tamoxifen may be devoid of estrogenic activity at the pituitary level.

What is described above is also known as "estrogen priming," the concept that estrogen makes the pituitary more sensitive to GnRH from the hyp[othalamus, so that more LH is released for a given GnRH stimulus. This is well known to occur in females leading up to ovulation. Unlike females, however, men don't have a preovulatory period or spikes in LH. The research is fairly clear that estrogen priming does not occur in males. For starters, take a look at an authoritative reference work like Grossman's Clinical Endocrinology, which states (pg. 99):
Progesterone, acting synergistically with oestrogens, exerts negative feedback on the hypothalamus during the luteal phase, thus limiting GnRH pulsatility and slowing LH pulse frequency. The mechanism of positive oestrogen feedback at the time of the LH surge has been much debated. There is now evidence that enhancement of both hypothalamic GnRH pulse generator activity and pituitary responsiveness to GnRH are involved. All species so far studied have shown an increased 'self-priming' effect of GnRH on the pituitary during the preovulatory period... In males, the situation is more straightforward. Since LH surges do not occur, only negative feedback effects are relevant. Testosterone (and its active metabolite dihydrotestosterone, DHT) exerts major suppressive effects on both LH and FSH secretion, largely by inhibiting the GnRH pulse frequency generator, but possibly also by direct pituitary actions. Oestrogens in the male reduce pituitary responsiveness to GnRH

That states pretty clearly that there is no priming in males, only negative feedback. The last emboldened sentence in this quote directly contradicts the statement made at the beginning of this post. If clomid were to produce estrogenic action in the pituitary, it would only serve to inhibit LH secretion.

Grossman's statement is corroborated by the most recent research on the specific effects of androgens and estrogen on the pituitary and hypothalamus of healthy men. Here, it was shown that estrogenic action at the pituitary has an inhibitory effect on LH output. In other words, estrogen decreases pituitary sensitivity to GnRH. Estrogen does not produce positive feedback as seen in estrogen priming in females. The paper stated in its conclusion that "These data confirm previous work from our group which ... showed [estrogen] has both hypothalamic and pituitary sites of negative feedback in the male." In fact, "negative feedback at the pituitary requires aromatization," as testosterone itself doesn't produce negative feedback at the pituitary.

This older paper had a very interesting finding:In other words, estrogen levels during brain development are responsible for the sex-specific differences in gonadotrophin secretion and estrogen feedback at the pituitary. The important point of this research is that males (with the exception of homosexuals) were not found to have any positive feedback from estrogen. Those results that were "strongly confirmed."

Finally, there's this research, which couldn't have been any more relevant. It directly examined the effects of nolva and clomid on the pituitary of human males. They infused the men with 100 mcg of GnRH and then measured LH output from the pituitary. The men taking nolvadex at 20mg/day had a significantly increased LH response to GnRH. In contrast, the men taking clomid had reduced LH output, a decreased sensitivity to GnRH. The researchers stated that "a role of the intrinsic estrogenic activity of Clomid which is practically absent in Tamoxifen seems the most probable explanation."

All in all, I don't understand the "BRO LORE" position for using clomid during post cycle therapy (pct). It assumes estrogen priming in males, yet both research and experts in endocrinology seem to squarely contradict the notion. Clomid appears to produce an estrogenic effect at the pituitary, yes, but the evidence shows that in males this serves to inhibit LH output in contrast to nolva. All else being equal, that would make the use of clomid inferior to nolva for purposes of post cycle therapy (pct).

dont be startin no shit over here son! hehehe-welcome skinny

as scally said-most studies with nolva were not performed on hypogonadal males-clomid studies were.

so basically its easy to speed something up-but to get it moving from a stand still is different-so at this point with the data we have-this argument is inconclusive

Last edited:
dont be startin no shit over here son! hehehe-welcome skinny

as scally said-most studies with nolva were not performed on hypogonadal males-clomid studies were.

so basically its easy to speed something up-but to get it moving from a stand still is different-so at this point with the data we have-this argument is inconclusive

Ya, ur right. But understanding that nolva alone does a really good job at post cycle therapy (pct), and understanding that there is a very real probability that the addition of Clomid could hurt rather than help, I'm persuaded to use Nolva alone.

Just wanted to add that all the info I provided in this thread was originally compiled by:

Conciliator @ MesoRx

Welcome strech
This can be debated and points made on both sides but lowering 1-igf durring post cycle therapy (pct) is not something I want to do during post cycle therapy (pct) when trying to keep gains.

i agree drew

and stretch i too find myself getting lost in some great disussions by some very educated individuals, who back their argument up well.

the problem is at the end of the day logic and reason can only take you so far, then practical experience supercedes............its impossible for me to believe that clomid could inhibit your HPTA recovery process in any way-becuase i know many people including myself who have used it alone without HCG and recovered 100%

i agree drew

and stretch i too find myself getting lost in some great disussions by some very educated individuals, who back their argument up well.

the problem is at the end of the day logic and reason can only take you so far, then practical experience supercedes............its impossible for me to believe that clomid could inhibit your HPTA recovery process in any way-becuase i know many people including myself who have used it alone without HCG and recovered 100%

Agreed. A perplexing topic that is for sure. Please don't misunderstand my original post to be anything more than a post designed to provoke intelligent thought and discussion.

i agree drew

Here's the results of another medical study which someone has put into the form of an image for clarification. This way we stay away from logic and reason and stick with real world results.

sermshpta.jpg

I disagree.....

Clomid is superior to Nolvadex at restoring one's HPTA after a steroid cycle.

Right on. Reading and doing are two different things. The issue with clomid is that guys run too high a dose. Clomid is far superior.

Remember what they are used for medically as well....

Right on. Reading and doing are two different things. The issue with clomid is that guys run too high a dose. Clomid is far superior.

Remember what they are used for medically as well....

And Rocco to make an educated statement regarding this discussion (unless you're providing medical studies as the basis for your opinion, in which case PLEASE provide the studies) you must have ran NUMEROUS cycles. And followed the aforementioned cycles with a rigorous battery of blood work to ensure full recovery of the HPTA.

In order to make a statement like "clomid is better"

You should have ran PCT's which consisted of:

Nolva Alone
Clomid Alone
Nolva/Clomid combo.

Have you done so sir?

If not, your opinion is one which is based on "bro-lore" and information which you've heard, rather than a combination of; logic, experience, human physiology, as well as pharmocology.

Here's the results of another medical study which someone has put into the form of an image for clarification. This way we stay away from logic and reason and stick with real world results.

no matter which way you slice-its still just analizing results of a controlled study-that have tons of unknown variables. its all interpretation.

lol

Did you wanna provide some facts/medical studies which support your...theory?

Why.....it doesn't matter what I post, you are just trying to stir the pot, and honestly if you don't show a little respect, your stay here will be a very short one.

I will be beginning post cycle therapy (pct) soon.

I don't want emotional side effects, or any more acne.

You think Nolvadex would be best for me then?

And Rocco to make an educated statement regarding this discussion (unless you're providing medical studies as the basis for your opinion, in which case PLEASE provide the studies) you must have ran NUMEROUS cycles. Correct, some of them years long. And followed the aforementioned cycles with a rigorous battery of blood work to ensure full recovery of the HPTA. correct. I get my test levels checked after a cycle and sometimes while on.

In order to make a statement like "clomid is better"

You should have ran PCT's which consisted of:

Nolva Alone yes, did it
Clomid Alone yes, did it
Nolva/Clomid combo. yes, did it

Have you done so sir? yes

If not, your opinion is one which is based on "bro-lore" and information which you've heard, rather than a combination of; logic, experience, human physiology, as well as pharmocology.

I really have to say I don't like you rude know it all attitude. I have done MANY cycles. I had a LOW test level before I ran any cycles. When I come off now I have normal levels. I have run all of the above and found clomid alone to be best. No bro lore. Bro lore is saying clomid has side effects like emotions and vision issues and acne etc. In reasonable doses it doesn't and the acne and emotions are from hormonal fluctuation.

Back