would you squat 3x a week?

anzel

37 yr old
6'
184-6 lb
I started a 5x5 routine back in January `10. Its called Stronglifts 5x5. Its similar to the Madcow 5x5. Basically its a beginner routine but its not for pussies!! (read on) Its for beginners in that it has you start with just an empty bar and stresses good form. (Assuming you have never worked out before.) But you quickly start reaching your max on all your lifts and thats when it gets tough. Heres how it looks.

Mon.(workout A)
Squats 5x5
Bench press 5x5
Rows 3x15
Push ups 3x15
Abs

Tues. off

Wed. (workout B)
Squats 5x5
Standing shoulder press 5x5
Dead lifts 1x5 (warm up with 4 lighter sets)
Pull ups/chins 3x15
Abs

Thurs off\

Friday repeat Mondays work out A

Sat & sun off then on the following monday you pick up where you left off and do workout B.

I have been doing this natural and its been pretty good. I plan on doing my 1st cycle come this sept and I am concerned if this work out will continue to be good for me. I could add in some secondary excercizes to bump up the intesity of course.
Its oriented around the squat, the all time all body muscle builder. Some people say doing squats 3x wk is crazy but I have been doing ok so far and like I said, I`m not on any gear. I will admit that although I have modestly increased my strength, I havent increased my size too much except my back did get bigger.

So should I stay with this and run my cycle or move on to a 4 day split?
The 4 day split I am considering is by Frank Sepe from his book The Truth.

any thoughts?

I don't think I could squat 3X per week...
Not the way I train legs. I hit them once a week like every other body part. I don't think I could eat enough to recover that quickly (even on a cycle)
Have you thought about doing a regular 5 day split?
Can't speak to Frank's book as I have not
read it. good luck

I don't think I could squat 3X per week...
Not the way I train legs. I hit them once a week like every other body part. I don't think I could eat enough to recover that quickly (even on a cycle)
Have you thought about doing a regular 5 day split?
Can't speak to Frank's book as I have not
read it. good luck

The progression is slower. You add 2.5 - 5lb per workout but when you start maxing out you may only be able to add 2.5 - 5 /wk. Then when it really starts getting tough you can change it to a 3x5 and then a 5x3.

In a 4 day split , hitting legs once a wk I guess you can do more weight considerering your recovery is longer. But I wonder if one routine vs. the other can help you keep more of your gains after your cycle?

4 day or 5 day split

I was thinking of doing a 4 day split for the next 30 days and then when I start my cycle just ramp up the intesity by throwing in some extra excersises. Then when the T cyp starts kicking in around week 4-6, I could expand it to a 5 day split. Then as I come off my cycle during post cycle therapy (pct) I can drop it back to the ramped up 4 day split version. From there I will feel it out If I start to feel overtrained I can reduce it back to the less intense version of the 4 day split or go back to the 5x5 3 days/wk.

Just speaking for myself, I could never do legs 3x a week. I'm so sore the day after legs I sometimes miss my cardio.

Try this. I do legs twice a week. I do quads/hamstrings one day & calves on a totally seperate day. I have read and done my research and this seems to be one of the best routines for legs. I also, have taken it a step further and talked with some competing BB's and a few do this routine as well. I personally have noticed greater hypertrophy as well.

Back