Your thoughts on addiction?

Jesus...I don't post often nowadays but when I see so much misinformation I have to. People use the term "addiction" as if it is something you now possess, similar to a disease (people think alcoholism is a disease - give me a fucking break). We do things - some things have an effect that leads us to continue doing it, or an effect that stops us from continuing. When something happens that prevents us from accessing the things that make us continue doing things, it sucks. It's not addiction, but losing a good thing is just shitty.

When I diet for example, I feel shitty for the first 2 weeks or so and I have cravings for foods. I'm sure people would call this "withdrawals" or some bullshit or that I have an 'addiction' for a caloric surplus...neither are true. It's a part of life that sometimes you have to experience the contrast between periods of having good things and no longer having those things. Resorting to calling this an "addiction" is a way to put the blame somewhere else than it should be.

People act as if there is a difference between physical and psychological addiction/dependence...as if your body and brain are two separate things. Lord, people in this thread say "your body thinks it needs something".....your body doesn't 'think' anything. Everything we do has an effect on our body - whether it be drugs, food, sex, sleep, breathing, anything. That's called life. We are in control of certain things that happen to us while we are not in control of others. You are in control of your drug use as well as maintaining the relationship that it may cost you...and once you lose this girl, you will be going through far worse "withdrawals" than any drug, I promise.

Quit looking for labels to hide your faults. The concept of addiction is an illusion for the process of getting good things in life and the bad part of losing them. Change the way you think and keep the good things that you can while you can.

Back