5x5 overtraining? Losing out on gains? Need some input

Hey guys, dont really post much but I thought I'd get an idea of what others think of my current "regime."

I'm 5'8 187lbs.

I'm currently doing 5x5 but pushing it a little.

I do 5x5 Mon-Wednesday-Friday

Which looks like:

5x1 deadlift (at about 85% of my max) then I do two more 1RM sets.
5x5 Squat
5x5 Bench Press
5x5 Barbell Row

I will also do dips and pullups.

However, I also will incorporate arms (full bi and tri) on those days or chest...shoulders etc. Depending.

On my non-5x5 days I will hit shoulders, or arms, back etc.

I do this 5-6 days a week. 1 day rest.

I'm seeing incredible strength results and noticing development all around. But definitely not as fast as I'd like to due to not eating enough. Working this much I feel I need to really add more calories as I'm hovering around the 184lb-191lb mark consistently.

However, on that note, the 5x5 is designed not to be buggered around with.

Despite seeing results in both strength and appearance, I dont know if I'm losing out on substantial gains by doing something like this.

I have no DOMS like I use to get that would leave me out of commission for days.

I dont seem to be plateauing really. If I do, I take an extra rest day or two and go back at her.

Getting no real negative sides to going this route but people are telling me im probably losing out on a lot of gains without rest.

Looking for some input.

I'm seeing incredible strength results and noticing development all around.

if your still seeing strength and appearance gains and have not hit a plateau , then wants the problem ?

if your strength starts going down and you start losing motivation , then it may be time for a de-load and then a program modification. but if the gains are still coming , then keep doing what is working

what are your goals ? appearance , or strength for powerlifting ? how long have you been training?

Milton - I'm 28

Roush - My goals are for a hybrid of both at the moment. Moreso appearance. Only thing is my appearance at the moment is mostly lower body. Haha.

Been training less intense for the last year and half but within the last 3 months have been going hard every day.

Basically I do something like this:

Monday:

5X5
Tri's (3 exercises, 4-6 sets of 12-20)
Bi's (Same as above)

Tuesday:

Shoulders + Traps

Wednesday:

5x5
Chest (3 exercises, 4-6 sets 12-20 reps)

Thursday:

Back

Friday:

5x5
Arms again

Then Saturday is whatever I feel like hitting that day or ill take 2 days off.

The appearance results im noticing are subtle and not explosive like I thought theyd be (im on Sust only) but I blame that on my lack of caloric intake.

I'm hovering around the 2,900-3,500 mark

About 200g protein

Havent calculated carbs yet.

I figure its the diet but I have people telling me the overworking could be hampering gains as well.

look into DC training I do something like this but a bit more repts each set and workouts are atleast 40-60min, 2 parts per workout. i would rec you workout 3-4 days a week. not 6 days a week. but go heay on the days you do, you grow when resting and eating, not lifting.

I blame that on my lack of caloric intake.

I'm hovering around the 2,900-3,500 mark

About 200g protein

Havent calculated carbs yet.

I figure its the diet but I have people telling me the overworking could be hampering gains as well.

if your consuming 200g of protein , (1 gram of protein = 4 calories) then your getting 800 calories from protein . the rest of the 3500 cals are coming from fats and carbs. so only 25% of your calories are proteins. thats pretty low.

other people are telling you that you are "overworking" , but do those other people know that your on cycle ? your MRV (maximum recoverable volume) increases while your on gear.

you've been training for a year and a half or so . its highly unlikely that you are developed enough and have enough muscle mass that you would overload and create enough homeostatic stress on your body that you would be "over worked" . I'm sure for your training age , your volume is fairly low and again you just probably don't possess enough strength and power yet to really worry about being over trained at this point.
just eat enough and sleep enough

Homeostatic stress is a big topic nowadays! Roush pointed this out in another thread and I looked it up. Very interesting and highly plausible! You should research it cause It explains alot on how our bodies work.

Back