A Better Bench?

evansss

GET BIG
Somebody post a good chest routine to improve my bench. I've been inconsistent in the gym the past few months, yet most of my numbers have stayed fairly consistent with the exception of my bench which has dropped dramatically. Also, I have chains at my new gym which im thinking of possibly incorporating if it'd be a good idea.

Howabout trying the DC routine for just you're chest and see how it goes.

If you do it for chest only you won't leave yourself too exhausted, and you can see how things develop...

improve the bench by benching twice a week, westside style. on day heavy and one day for speed. heavy days...work up to 3x3 on the flat or decline then do some cgbp on the flat or incline.
Speed days...try 50-60% 1rm and start with 8-10 sets of triples...as fast as you can do them with 30-60 rest periods. Then try some db pressing within the 8-12 rep range.

You can incorporate a 5X5 chest day. Use the 5X5 example posted here, and apply it to your bench day. Remeber to trian your back, lats ans tris for big bench also...Chains are good to teach you control with the bar and to help you slightly with the top of your bench....You can incporporate boards and bands also for your training, but for overall strength to increase your bench, go with a 5X5 or 4X5 or even 3X5 as long as you increase the weight your lifting. You can do incline or declines to help shape your chest overall, but if you are going for plain bench strength, then make sure you work in some deads also..and make sure you grip the bar correctly..there is a big difference in benching correctly, and incorrectly...

E

keep the elbows tucked in
I agree with tucking the elbows....but that basically puts more effort on the tris, which I agree definately helps with your bench..but you also need to use a good wide grip..to work the chest....I trained with a closer grip and elbows tucked in, but once i started doing bench comps, and had to use a different grip, then i found out my chest was lacking and all the strength was from my tris...

E

I agree with tucking the elbows....but that basically puts more effort on the tris, which I agree definately helps with your bench..but you also need to use a good wide grip..to work the chest....I trained with a closer grip and elbows tucked in, but once i started doing bench comps, and had to use a different grip, then i found out my chest was lacking and all the strength was from my tris...

E

many people dont realize that at some point going up with the bar that they would benefit from rotateing the elbows out to a less tucked position . it takes some experimenting/practice since EVERY body is different.ive seen people go ful lockout without flareing the elbows , i couldnt do it lol.

i guess when i meant tucked i meant about 45 degrees. It helps keep you injury free.

i guess when i meant tucked i meant about 45 degrees. It helps keep you injury free.

oh hell i definately keep mine tucked HARD untill im well into the press. IF you have big lats you can drag your elbows down your side on the way down to slow the descent and control it on a MAXX attempt , every bit of energy saved on the descent can be used on the press .

I lose energy on my descent cause I come down slow and controlled. I need to work on this.

dadawg...i'd be curious to know your lifts and stats, raw/suited

I lose energy on my descent cause I come down slow and controlled. I need to work on this.

dadawg...i'd be curious to know your lifts and stats, raw/suited

im a crippled old man now but even when i was healthy i never post numbers on the net because every one the internet benches 500 for reps:hahano:

ps i use reverse grip on bench , thats a real curveball for you.

many people dont realize that at some point going up with the bar that they would benefit from rotateing the elbows out to a less tucked position . it takes some experimenting/practice since EVERY body is different.ive seen people go ful lockout without flareing the elbows , i couldnt do it lol.

I've always done this naturally. Probably because my arms are so long.

improve the bench by benching twice a week, westside style. on day heavy and one day for speed. heavy days...work up to 3x3 on the flat or decline then do some cgbp on the flat or incline.
Speed days...try 50-60% 1rm and start with 8-10 sets of triples...as fast as you can do them with 30-60 rest periods. Then try some db pressing within the 8-12 rep range.

that's not westside style

Since I'm training @ Westside, you work up to a 1 rm. Basically you will try and get 3 lifts @ or over 90% Rotate each lift each week and keep track of your PRs..ah fuck it, go read the westside articles if you want an idea of what they do at westside

thanks guys... im not really feeling dc anymore. i tried it for all of my lifts and got some pretty solid results but i never felt like i was doing the program in its entirety. currently i was just doing the 5x5 to try n get the numbers back up which i may just stick to.

but i still need to know how to incorporate the chains into the workout. or if its even worth doing...?

Back