Acne, what methods work to keep it under control?

TheseGains

so i just finished my course of accutane and acne came back again.

what do ifbb pro, wbff pros do? a lot of people say its just genetics, but i doubt every competitor has the 'genetics", can something be done to keep it under control? how effective is tanning and does laser treatment work?

ive tried the b5 and zinc combo still on it right now but it doesnt seem to be that effective.

Proper skin care, keeping your AI and hormone levels in check/stable.

I personally have 0 acne problems on a cycle. Only seems to come up if I let my levels swing too much. I also never had acne issues as a kid.

Proper skin care, keeping your AI and hormone levels in check/stable.

I personally have 0 acne problems on a cycle. Only seems to come up if I let my levels swing too much. I also never had acne issues as a kid.

before cycling i never had any acne on my body, even as a teen i was crystal clear.

what do you do for proper skin care?

Can running AI to high cause problems, im currently running adex a 1mg/ed.

Get the proactiv solution kit,, use it twice a day .. It has three different solutions , antibacterial scrubbing solution, wash and dry off, then apply the toner solution with cotton ball over the entire area, then use the cream to treat only the most effected areas.
Think u can get the kit on amazon

before cycling i never had any acne on my body, even as a teen i was crystal clear.

what do you do for proper skin care?

Can running AI to high cause problems, im currently running adex a 1mg/ed.

It can if your playing around with your dosages. E2 doesn't really have much bearing on acne, as we once thought. It's more to do with increasing and fluctuating TT (which is a side effect of fluctuating your e2.)

I've found great results with the following:

1. High dose zinc, 100mg daily (50mg morning, 50mg night.) You'll need a multivitamin or a copper supplement with this as well, as high zinc can deplete copper stores.

2. Once your AI dose is dialed in, keep it there. Changing your AI up and down will cause e2 to go up and down, therefore TT to go up and down.

3. Pin more frequently if you can handle it. The less fluctuations in TT the better.

4. Don't play yoyo with your test doses either - get dialed in at a certain dose and stay there. You can likely get acne to recede if it's not too bad, but it'll come back when TT changes again (dropping to TRT, or PCT, or increasing dose etc.)

5. Tanning doesn't really help, more just covers it up. It can really hide the redness etc.

Side note on the zinc + b5 supplementing, it will take approx 2-3 weeks to see any difference. After then it should steadily get better week by week. Also, what dose b5 are you on? You really need large doses to get any benefits (10g daily, 5g morning 5g night.)

It can if your playing around with your dosages. E2 doesn't really have much bearing on acne, as we once thought. It's more to do with increasing and fluctuating TT (which is a side effect of fluctuating your e2.)

1. High dose zinc, 100mg daily (50mg morning, 50mg night.) You'll need a multivitamin or a copper supplement with this as well, as high zinc can deplete copper stores.

2. Once your AI dose is dialed in, keep it there. Changing your AI up and down will cause e2 to go up and down, therefore TT to go up and down.

3. Pin more frequently if you can handle it. The less fluctuations in TT the better.

4. Don't play yoyo with your test doses either - get dialed in at a certain dose and stay there. You can likely get acne to recede if it's not too bad, but it'll come back when TT changes again (dropping to TRT, or PCT, or increasing dose etc.)

5. Tanning doesn't really help, more just covers it up. It can really hide the redness etc.

Side note on the zinc + b5 supplementing, it will take approx 2-3 weeks to see any difference. After then it should steadily get better week by week. Also, what dose b5 are you on? You really need large doses to get any benefits (10g daily, 5g morning 5g night.)

currently on 100mg zinc split morning and night, and 14g (7 morning & 7 night),

the acne came up on cycle, (700 tren & 700 prop) was running that during accutane, as soon as i stopped the tane 2 weeks later acne popped up my like crazy, there just red spots there not cycistic acne.

i was pinning ed, the only thing is i take my ai and i pin at a random time, so its not very consistent.

the acne just kept getting worse so i decided to start cruising, im currently doing 250mg teste/wk

Get the proactiv solution kit,, use it twice a day .. It has three different solutions , antibacterial scrubbing solution, wash and dry off, then apply the toner solution with cotton ball over the entire area, then use the cream to treat only the most effected areas.
Think u can get the kit on amazon

ill look into this, but if im going to use the cream ill most likly use Retina-a cream....my doc gave me plenty of refills

the only problem with this is that i have to avoid sunlight which i dont like.

also, i was talking with this pro bodybuilder that i met at a club and i asked him how he kept his skin clear, he told me he uses HCG on cycle to keep the hormones leveled. can this actually work?

also, i was talking with this pro bodybuilder that i met at a club and i asked him how he kept his skin clear, he told me he uses HCG on cycle to keep the hormones leveled. can this actually work?

No, he has no idea what he's talking about. hCG doesn't keep any other acne related hormones 'level,' if anything it will slightly increase TT (another fluctuation = greater chance of acne.)

You should be using hCG on cycle anyway though if you plan on ever coming off.

This got my old ass tickled as fuck. What some dudes say about shit. HCG doesn't clear acne, hell I was broke out bad as fuck on HCG while running TRT at 200 mg test pw. Zinc, b5, and occasionally minocycline works for me

acnes are the second worse thing that could happen when using steroids (what ever you use) ..some one on the net told me that when ur body gives out acenes that means that it is rejecting the exceed of hormones in ur body which means that steroids is not 4 you .. I really donot know if this is right but steroids are so good and much much bad when comes to its adverse

I really want to believe what you stated buddy, do you have a source for this (bolded) info? I've always read that it is estradiol which causes sebaceous acne to flare up. I suppose a fluctuating TT would cause spikes in estradiol - but the question becomes, which is it?

Another cheap alternative OP is to try benadryl at bedtime and see if that helps. As some acne is a histamine reaction, antihistamine use may quell it. So crazy how dirt, hormones, bacteria, viruses, and the body's own immune system can all trigger acne.

There are too many factors that go into the development of acne that with all the scientific advancements available we still have no firm grasp on it. The clogging of sebaceous glands with sebum, dirt, and bacteria is what causes it, but the catalyst for these things to exist is not well known. Hormone fluctuations play a role, but not everyone with a high estraidol readings suffers from acne, this has been well documented. The bacteria that lives in the skin which causes acne does not thrive well in some individuals, but in others it flourishes. This is the reason that antibiotics are at times used to combat acne, but this can create issues like more severe acne or gram negative acne bacteria upon cessation. Acne is also hereditary, and if your parents had acne then you will likely suffer a similar fate.

I am pointing all of this out because no matter what people tell you there is not true solution for acne. Accutane is the closest that medicine has come. I tell you this because I don't want people on this thread to bash your diet, or criticize your estrogen control and blame the acne on you. I do not suffer from it, but my father works as a dermatologist and has described acne as a benign condition, but one of the most difficult to treat.

I really want to believe what you stated buddy, do you have a source for this (bolded) info? I've always read that it is estradiol which causes sebaceous acne to flare up. I suppose a fluctuating TT would cause spikes in estradiol - but the question becomes, which is it?

Another cheap alternative OP is to try benadryl at bedtime and see if that helps. As some acne is a histamine reaction, antihistamine use may quell it. So crazy how dirt, hormones, bacteria, viruses, and the body's own immune system can all trigger acne.

I do have a source, you should know I don't just pull stuff out of my ass :p Unfortunately it isn't a study, but perhaps the next best thing... It's Rip's opinion based on his research. Here is what he had to say on the subject: http://www.steroidology.com/forum/anabolic-steroid-forum/676177-has-greater-chance-acne.html

I know it's no proof of anything, but in my experience this seems to ring absolutely true.. I only flare up when fluctuating TT (dropping or raising the doses) even when controlling e2. However, this cycle so far ZERO acne :D And all I've done differently so far is pin more often (reducing fluctuations) and not change doses of either test or AI. But I'm only in week 2... so we shall see by the end of week 4. Normally around week 2-3 I get hit when using enth, and another flare during PCT, but I'm using prop this time around so I would have expected to see it sooner.

Edit: Actually I did change one other thing, I went into this cycle already supplementing with high dose zinc (~100mg daily) as it's now part of my permanent supplement protocol. Last cycle I only added it once the acne showed up. So potentially that may have some bearing if it does a better job of preventing acne than treating it. Who knows? Food for thought anyways...

Double edit: I've also heard of some guys saying that as they've gotten older and done more cycles the acne seems to flare up less and less (sebaceous glands getting used to it?) and my last cycle was over a year ago... so that could be yet another factor lol. Acne does my head in man :wallbash: Can't wait for Rip's article on it.

Like yourself and tury mentioned above though, there are so many factors that come into acne it's ridiculous. It wouldn't surprise me if e2 does have a bearing on it, I just personally think it plays a much much lesser role than other factors :)

Last edited:

sup halfwit, your input is always appreciated, can you please explain how benadryl may help? im just curious.

I've already explained my findings in the thread Prince linked but for the sake of emphasis:

Elevated test, not estrogen, causes acne. The increase in test levels leads to hypertrophy of the sebaceous glands, increased sebum production, and increased density for bacteria to grow - all leading to acne production.

By contrast, estrogen is actually a natural way, through the feedback axis, of inhibiting production of androgens and thus of sebum.
Locally, it reduces sebum secretion by directly affecting subunits of estrogen receptors which are located in sebaceous glands of your hair follicles.

So again, it doesn't cause acne - test does by influencing the androgen receptors present on the surface of sebaceous gland cells.

I have chest acne it's just a side effect I deal with
Some people get it while others don't
Just how u react I guess like some people react great to tren and others don't same.deal
What does bother me the most is when the gf starts to pop them they hurt there like not normal pimples haha

OP - I know you said you tried it, but the only thing I've found honestly is that 20mg accutane eod, as long as I'm not running orals works really well

Though I only start/use it if I'm having issues; usually from hormonal fluctuations, it seems...last time it was when I dropped injectables a week before my contest - upper arms started to break out right before, luckily the spray tan covered it

sup halfwit, your input is always appreciated, can you please explain how benadryl may help? im just curious.
Some folks have sensitive skin, and an allergic reaction to contaminants has been shown as a possible cause for some acne. There have been a few studies, and while the results often include comparisons between an isoretinoid and antihistamine - there is strong evidence suggesting that it may be sufficient for some.

I've already explained my findings in the thread Prince linked but for the sake of emphasis:

Elevated test, not estrogen, causes acne. The increase in test levels leads to hypertrophy of the sebaceous glands, increased sebum production, and increased density for bacteria to grow - all leading to acne production.

By contrast, estrogen is actually a natural way, through the feedback axis, of inhibiting production of androgens and thus of sebum.
Locally, it reduces sebum secretion by directly affecting subunits of estrogen receptors which are located in sebaceous glands of your hair follicles.

So again, it doesn't cause acne - test does by influencing the androgen receptors present on the surface of sebaceous gland cells.

Princedbol, I never thought you were making anything up buddy, I just like to see sources so when I'm wrong, I can understand WHY I'm wrong haha. :)

Rippppppped! I did some digging while sitting here in the waiting room at the docs office, and I keep finding studies indicating that estradiol is a TREATMENT for sebaceous acne (ethinyl estradiol to be precise) . I really don't remember where I had read it was E2 that did this, but it made sense as acne tends to flare up in men during PCT when testosterone is low and estradiol tends to be higher.

I wrote it off and really hadn't investigated since. What do you suppose would be the cause in the scenario above? I've read some, and it's possible that progesterone increases slightly as the T:E ratio falters, but that seems like a stretch.

Anyhoo, this is another reason why I enjoy the community here. People have different opinions and viewpoints - yet a civil discussion is possible, backed by science. :)

Thesegains: if you want some studies, I'll see if I can't pull them up when I get home regarding antihistamine use.

Back