Shopping list:
Brown Rice
3lbs of boneless/skinless chicken thighs
2 sweet potatos
1 small bunch of cilantro
3 decent sized cloves of garlic
1 red bell pepper
2 15oz cans of black beans
1 can of whole kernel corn (8oz is fine)
1 jar of salsa, preferably hot if you can handle it, 16oz is about right
1 quart container of chicken broth (go with low sodium)
1 tablespoon of cumin
1 teaspoon of allspice
1 lime

What to do:
Season the chicken with salt and pepper, then put a little olive oil in your biggest pan and brown the chicken for 3-5 minutes per side, then toss it in the bottom of your slow cooker.

Chop up the sweet potatos into small/medium chunks and layer them on top of the chicken, then chop the red pepper up and do the same. Throw both cans of black beans and the can of corn into a strainer and rinse them, then pour all of that on top of the red pepper and sweet potatoes.

Finally, get a large bowl and combine chopped cilantro (discard stems), diced garlic, about half of the chicken stock, the whole jar of salsa, the cumin and the allspice and mix it up. Pour this over everything that's in the slow cooker already. If the liquid isn't covering the sweet potatoes and some of the beans/corn/etc, then you can add more chicken stock until it's more wet.

Cover this up, then let it cook on Low for 4-4.5 hours. Trust me when I say that this recipe is a hit. Your family will love it. Serve it over the brown rice I mentioned in the ingredients and garnish it with a lime wedge. I'm not sure the nutrition information, but everything in there is pretty darn healthy, and you're getting your veggies for sure.

Let me know how this one turns out for ya!:frogjump:

Last edited:
Sounds good essays, do the canned beans hold up to the 4 hr cooking ? I know the canned ones are pretty soft..

I'm gonna give this a try soon, I love slow cooker recipes :)

man, this sounds good bro! One question though, do you keep the chicken breast whole or do chop them up first?

Sounds good essays, do the canned beans hold up to the 4 hr cooking ? I know the canned ones are pretty soft..

I'm gonna give this a try soon, I love slow cooker recipes :)

The beans do get a little soft, but they dont turn into a mushy mess or anything. You could add them a little later, as I do when I cook chili.

man, this sounds good bro! One question though, do you keep the chicken breast whole or do chop them up first?

It's actually chicken thigh! Keep them whole, once you've cooked them this thoroughly, they become super tender and you can cut through them with a fork.

On a side note, I made this recipe again tonight, and I would say my original recipe might contain a bit too much chicken stock. I'd forgotten how much water comes out of the ingredients when you cook them. I would try to get away with a cup to 1.5 cups of chicken stock to start with. In addition, I used a little more chicken than the recipe I wrote, and because there was such a full slow cooker, I had to cook it on high for 4 hours.

The way to check for "done-ness" is that the sweet potatoes are tender.

Really is a great recipe that is still very healthy, and a bit of a change from the usual "rice and chicken and veggies" bit. It really fills your whole kitchen with a delicious aroma, if you're a foody, you'll love it.

Hey Spongy glad to hear you liked it :) I'll try to post a recipe every so often, we eat pretty well at work and it's not hard for me to get new ideas.

Back