Are Deadlifts Necessary for a Wide Thick Back ?

infar250

hey guys i was just wondering could i get away with shaping a nice thick back with just heavy ass sets of T-bar rows and standing rows in replacement to deadlifts...... I hate deadlift and i always have a phobia of getting a hernia when i do it........ also i've seen some pro's routines and they dont have deadlifts on them...... somoene help me out on this.....

Well, Im no weight training guru, but I personally do not do deadlifts consistantly. Ill work them in maybe once every 3rd back workout and even then, I dont go too crazy on them. For thickness, I prefer really heavy rows. Both Barbell and dumbell.

Hope that helps.

I have never done deadlifts. I have always stuck to wide grip rows (bent over and seated), wide grip pull downs and one arm rows.

Deads

Untill recently I never deadlifted & even now I only do them sparingly...this topic has been distputed for ages to deadlift or not to..

Many people feel the lower back receives enough indirect stimulation from heavy leg work (squats & etc.) then add in doing b.o. rows or heavy seated pulley rows & many say the lower back gets plenty of indirect stimulation..

Stroyer

StoneColdNTO said:
Oh trust me you are forgiven and if you ever make it up to Canada....well....................

Maybe you can show me the differance between a "stiff LEG" hee hee and a regular ol' deadlift? hmmm?? Can you big daddy? Show lil Ol' Frisco, how it's done??

back to the subject
i really recomend doing deads, you are only hurting yourself by not doing them. lose the fear

If i had to pick one compound exercise for overall growth between squats and Deadlifts, I would go with deadlifts. They work the total body much more overall. With squats, i can feel it in my quads, hams, abs, and sometimes lower back. Deads, i feel it in my hams, lower back, lats, traps, rear delts, and forearms.

Deadlifts I don't feel are necessary, but a great exercise, especially for the hardgainer types. I don't know if most hardgainers really are hardgainers or just afraid to squat and dead.

Eh guys I might be wrong here but do you not think that really heavy deads would thicken your waist up, obliques.I agree on the fact that they are a really good overall mass builder ...

i do deads everyweek at the end of my back and traps routine. there is no substitute for them

bread and butter - deads, squats,bench p , military press

I do deadlifts every other back workout. I do feel them a necessary exercise for growth. When I do them, I'm usually quite sore for a few days, so that's a good thing for me to feel. I know they're working.:D

this is going to sound really novice, and i guess in retrospect it should. but what exactly do the deads target and why are they such an important muscle builder for the back? to me, i would think your legs would get most of the workout, unless i'm thinking/did them wrong.

amadeus said:
this is going to sound really novice, and i guess in retrospect it should. but what exactly do the deads target and why are they such an important muscle builder for the back? to me, i would think your legs would get most of the workout, unless i'm thinking/did them wrong.

You're not wrong, your legs do come into play for sure with deads. The difference being between the two is that the hips/low back area do most of the work when you are doing a deadlift. With a stiff leg deadlift it's different range of motion, you are allowing your torso to flex forward while maintaining a flat back position, then mainly lifting with your hamstrings on the upward motion. (you don't bend your knees with stiff leg deadlifts) With deadlifts, you squat down to lift the bar off the floor and as the bar is raised you are trying to keep it as close to the shins as possible, making your hips and low back to the lifting. You don't flex the torso forward like you do with stiff deadlifts. Hmmmmm......did that make any sense....hehehe....hope so cuz it's the easier way I could explain it. And if it doesn't make sense....heheheh.....someone else feel free to jump in.:D

Back