are steroids right for me? heres a review of me...

penguin

I've been religiously dieting/working out/running/swimming for the past 6 months. I've hit a barrier and think it's time to do whats necessary to pass it. I'm currently taking in about 300 grams of protein a day from mostly chicken, but also 1 red meat meal (post workout meal), and I take vp2 whey protein. I also consume about 3500 cals a day. My carb consumption is mostly starchy carbs since theyre cheap, but before and after workouts I stick to mostly glucose carbs for quick absorbtion/use. I take a multi-vitamin and a joint medicine (over the counter, not prescription, helps reduce joint pains from when I had tendinitis in my right elbow from overtraining). I take the vitamins when I wake up and before I go to bed (as instructed by manufacturer) and I take creatine 30 minutes before and immediately after workout, with 10mg of glutamine. Despite 8 hours of rest, and EXTREMELY strict diet that has been reviewed by my doctor, and MANY bodybuilders to be a damn good plan, and absolutely religious workout plan; I've only gained 19lbs of muscle in the last 6 months. This is supposed to be my newbie gains too since I never lifted or anything before this. At this point I'm looking to put on some serious mass by any means possible. I'd like to just add the gear on top of my current plan. My one thing is... I'm 19 years old, and I've been told (by non steroid users, so who knows how good their word is) that its not a good idea to start using gear until your 21.
I leave for SEAL training (BUD/S) in about 6-7 months and I don't feel I'm physically ready. I can pass the Physical Screening Test with no problem (a large sum of people fail) but don't feel I'm where I should be. Are steroids a good choice for me? If so, I've gotten the idea of using Clomid and Proviron together during the cycle and then a larger sum of Clomid for 3 weeks after the cycle is over after the down period from my last injection. So I'm learning, but I've been searching the forums and havent found anything on my age, and that issue. Any help?

Please read this, it should help you make the right decision............

What appears below was developed by a number of our good friends at www.anabolicfitness.com, the link is http://www.anabolicfitness.net/library/age.htm.

Veteran Consensus Statement on the age of initiation of Anabolic use.

Anabolic steroids promote strength gain, muscle synthesis, and increased metabolic capacity. Their responsible, moderate use improves athletic performance, cosmetic appearance, and perceived social opportunity and self-esteem. However, anabolics achieve their effects by perturbing the human endocrine system, a complex feedback mechanism of glands and organs that are, in healthy and youthful persons, in an exquisite state of natural balance. Compounds like anabolic steroids that alter this balance are appropriate for use only by mature, well-trained athletes who understand these drugs, their risks and their benefits. Except in the case of prospective users of clear promise for national or international ranking in a sport, realistically hopeful for the kinds of benefits such ranking confers, the following should be characteristic of anyone, of any age, prior to the addition of anabolic steroids to a training regime:

1. PHYSICAL MATURITY. Anabolics can, through either direct or indirect effects, cause premature closure of the epiphyseal plates (“growth plates”) at the end of bone, an irreversible effect that may result in permanently shorter stature than the athlete would otherwise achieve. Therefore, the athlete should have reached full physical stature and maturity of the skeleton before contemplating anabolic use. In most cases, full stature is not reached until the very late teens and, in many cases, development of both long skeletal bones and joint assemblies (hips and shoulders) continues into the early 20's, development of the larynx (“voicebox”) into the mid-20’s.

2. SIGNIFICANT MATURE MUSCULARITY. Anabolics have poor effect, or transitory effect, on athletes in mediocre condition; in addition, their tendency to boost muscle strength ahead of the strength of supporting tendons and ligaments can lead to debilitating injury in athletes without substantial prior training. Therefore, the athlete should have accumulated a significant amount of mature muscle mass and tendon strength through a dedicated program of resistance training prior to beginning anabolic use. Recognizing that there is substantial individual variability in training efficiency and effects, a minimum of 3 years, perhaps as many as 7, of dedicated weight training is required to achieve this necessary physical foundation, on which anabolics can be used safely and to best effect.

3. THOROUGH KNOWLEDGE. Anabolics are not a substitute for proper technique or applied knowledge of the basics of exercise physiology. Therefore, the athlete considering the use of anabolics should have a very thorough and detailed knowledge of lifting technique, dietary practice, recuperative processes, and hormonal and nonhormonal supplementation, and should if possible prepare for the use of anabolics under the guidance of a trusted mentor who has mastered these issues. In particular, the athlete should have an excellent understanding of the uses, effects, and risk profiles of anabolics, and should be thoroughly conversant with the kinds of ancillary agents that minimize side-effects and speed post-cycle recovery. Recognizing that there is substantial individual variability in the pace at which this knowledge is acquired, at least a year of arduous study and reading is necessary to understand anabolics and post-cycle recovery, and at least 4 years of practice is required to establish the requisite knowledge base of lifting technique, recuperation, and diet.

4. PSYCHOLOGICAL MATURITY. Anabolic steroids can have marked effect on mood and disposition, either during the cycle of active use, or its aftermath. Therefore, the athlete considering the use of anabolics should have the psychological health and maturity that will enable him or her to use anabolics with minimal social, psychological, and legal risk to both him/herself and his/her network of partners and collaborators. In addition, the athlete should be firm enough in purpose and balanced enough in approach to understand not only how and when to initiate use of anabolics, but how and when to curtail or abandon use safely should that need arise.

The use of anabolic steroids is unwise for persons who have not satisfied these prerequisites, though exceptions may be made in cases of very unusual athletic promise. While not a function of mere calendar age per se, it is unarguable that, on average, the likelihood that these conditions will have been met increases as the age of the prospective anabolic user increases.

For the reasons adduced above, the following statement of consensus opinion is made:

Allowing for substantial individual variability, and with the exception of cases of truly outstanding athletic promise, the athlete considering the use of anabolics should be socially and physically mature, psychologically healthy, and should have completed 4 to 7 years of dedicated, mentored training in strength/endurance athletics and study in lifting technique, dietary practices, recuperation skills and supplementation. In most cases, the athlete will have reached the age of 21 before these prerequisites are in place, recognizing that many athletes will not have achieved the necessary experience, physical maturity, and psychic balance until their mid-20's or even later

I don't think so bro. You really could go a lot further before juicing. Add in more fats and calories to your diet for starters. Good luck at BUDS

Oatmeal is cheap too dude, $3.50 lasts me over a week. For my fats I primarily use extra virgin olive oil, big metal canister for around $17.

i eat oatmeal, oatmeal counts as a starchy carb. ;)
I'm advancing very slowly despite dedicated practice. Most people get intimidated by my dedication. I carry a stop watch around with me (when Im at work, or away from my house I have prefixed/measured meals) to tell me EXACTLY when to eat. I eat different types of foods depending on the time of day and when I work out. I spend a certain amount of time (to the second) between max sets. I spend a certain amount of time stretching, etc. I get alot of mental help and advice from a navy SEAL right now (I'm fortunate enough to have a friend whos older brother was on the teams, he just got back from getting his MBA at Oxford, and is helping me ALOT). Overall, I see people with those 4+ years of lifting experience who don't know a 10th as much as me, but still are stacked and not even using proper form. I agree with everything in that prerequisite reply, except the time periods. It just doesn't work, making time periods like that. Theres people with 2 years experiecne that have things down pat, and they're kicking ass despite being at their plateau, etc. And then theres people who have been lifting for over 15+ years who don't know a god damn thing, but were born with good genes, so they strut around thinking theyre the shit cuz they use their sorry ass bowflex at home and see awesome results with no dieting/preparation. Well, I'm taking everyones opinions and advice to heart, and will consider everything over the next 3-4 months of studying. I studied dieting/lifting for 6 months before even starting that, so I went in with a good head on my shoulders. I hope to do the same with this. Oh yeah, I'm currently 6'1" by the way, so I'm happy with my bone structure, so theres no problem there with me being under early 20s. Thanks for everyones help and I'm going to keep browsing these boards for more info. If it comes down to it, and I make the decision to not take steroids, I'll probably still take insulin after my workouts just for an edge. Any opinions on this?

penguin said:
Any opinions on this?

Until the age of 24, your body is overflowing with testosterone and growth
hormone. If you can't make progress without drugs when you're still young, you
need to re-evaluate a few things -- mainly your training and your
supplementation. There's no reason why you shouldn't be able to progress on a
consistent basis without drugs. And if you can't, chances are you won't do much
better with drugs. Steroids will also shut down your hormonal system at a time when it's reaching maturity. Don't mess with your reproductive system at this point. You're going to need it.

welcome to ology, and 19 pounds of muscle in 6 months training natural is nothing to sneeze at , remember as your weight increases you have to up your calories to compensate for the added mass

DADAWG said:
welcome to ology, and 19 pounds of muscle in 6 months training natural is nothing to sneeze at , remember as your weight increases you have to up your calories to compensate for the added mass

Not bad so far! Two thoughts:1. If your still rather lean...and it sounds like it...up cals by 500 every week or two. 3500 is not that much...fair but try more over about 6 meals a day.

2. My second thought is I wish everone would have there sh*t as straight as you seem before asking "is it time yet"!

And wish you luck in the Seals. DJ

I was 140lbs when i started (at 6'1" too) and now I'm 159lbs. So I've gained 19lbs. My body fat level has gone down (so technically I've gained MORE than 19lbs of actual muscle I guess) since my waste size is smaller and my muscles are more apparent. I want to be about 190-210lbs though. I was gaining 1-2lbs a week on average during bulking, but recently its gone to shit. I went 3-4 weeks without gaining a single pound, and my numbers on the weights arent raising anymore. So I'm pretty sure I've hit a plateau. I don't think I'll take steroids since my body isn't fully matured according to most people (because I'm only 19) but I'd still like to take insulin. To my understanding from the info on this site, it isnt a steroid. It's more of a suppliment, just happens to be anabolic too, since it helps build muscle. But it technically shouldn't cause any negative growth defects since it doesn't up my testosterone level at all. I'd like opinions on insulin if anyone has some feedback to share. Also, I have been eating 6 meals up until about a month ago when I said 'fuck it, i need a break' when I went 2-3 weeks without gaining a pound, since I figured it was overtraining. I'm eating 3-4 solid meals now, with good protein/carb sources. I don't drink any coffee, eat any sweets (my whole family is eating the left over halloween candy as we speak, which sucks since i cant eat it), or drink soda, I'm still pretty strict about what I take in to my body.

I think it's a big mistake to put on size before your SEAL training. More size is going to be more taxing on you physically. If you were to add another 30 pounds of muscle (where you think you want to be), then you would certainly not be in as good of cardiovascular shape as you are now. In addition, you will have greater rest and recovery requirements, neither of which is appropriate for someone going into a tough physical course.

penguin said:
(because I'm only 19) but I'd still like to take insulin. To my understanding from the info on this site, it isnt a steroid. It's more of a suppliment, just happens to be anabolic too, since it helps build muscle. But it technically shouldn't cause any negative growth defects since it doesn't up my testosterone level at all. I'd like opinions on insulin if anyone has some feedback to share.

Inless you REALLY know what your doing Fat and/or death are negative growth defects. You seem intelligent but slin should only be done carefully by someone experianced. Wish you the best of luck. DJ

penguin said:
I was 140lbs when i started (at 6'1" too) and now I'm 159lbs. So I've gained 19lbs. My body fat level has gone down (so technically I've gained MORE than 19lbs of actual muscle I guess) since my waste size is smaller and my muscles are more apparent. I want to be about 190-210lbs though. I was gaining 1-2lbs a week on average during bulking, but recently its gone to shit. I went 3-4 weeks without gaining a single pound, and my numbers on the weights arent raising anymore. So I'm pretty sure I've hit a plateau. I don't think I'll take steroids since my body isn't fully matured according to most people (because I'm only 19) but I'd still like to take insulin. To my understanding from the info on this site, it isnt a steroid. It's more of a suppliment, just happens to be anabolic too, since it helps build muscle. But it technically shouldn't cause any negative growth defects since it doesn't up my testosterone level at all. I'd like opinions on insulin if anyone has some feedback to share. Also, I have been eating 6 meals up until about a month ago when I said 'fuck it, i need a break' when I went 2-3 weeks without gaining a pound, since I figured it was overtraining. I'm eating 3-4 solid meals now, with good protein/carb sources. I don't drink any coffee, eat any sweets (my whole family is eating the left over halloween candy as we speak, which sucks since i cant eat it), or drink soda, I'm still pretty strict about what I take in to my body.

Slin is dangerous bro,in the hands of a beginner who doesn't know what the dangers are is like giving a loaded gun to a kid,it is not for everybody bro,you can get killed if you don't know what you are doing.

You need to do some serious research bro because I don't think you are ready for anything,juice or slin.

Eat,Learn,Train,Grow
IntensityX

IntensityX said:
Slin is dangerous bro,in the hands of a beginner who doesn't know what the dangers are is like giving a loaded gun to a kid,it is not for everybody bro,you can get killed if you don't know what you are doing.

You need to do some serious research bro because I don't think you are ready for anything,juice or slin.

Eat,Learn,Train,Grow
IntensityX

I agree! And welcome to the board! :)

PS: WUZ UP IX!!!!!!!! SHOOT ME A PM :)

can someone direct me to some articles on slin. like, the dangers of it, how to to take it, etc. I didn't know you could kill yourself by taking insulin.

hey intensityx, you wouldn't happen to be AndreA from discussfitness.com, would you? Cuz you look an awful lot like him in your avatar, and alot of people over there are suspicious of him being on gear because of his awesome gains. No offense met either, just curious.

Steriods in general while not whole heartedly recommended at your age is many times safer and likely more effective than slin. Slin is for vets only.

Back