arnold's workout?

Buy his book, the encyclopedia of modern bodybuilding. I do not remember if he says what he did but there are plenty of splits that he reccommends.

I'm not a fan of ANY of Arnolds routines. I find it hard to beleive he trained the way he did. If he actually did those marathon workouts then he is more of a genetic freak then I thought. Such routines would cripple most people whether they were clean or juiced to the gills.

Look at his book, it is motivational, great pics....but IMO the training advice is total BS.

I'm not knocking Arnold...I just find most of the old time lifters lie about how they trained. 2 workouts per day, 6 days per week, 2-3 hours per session.....?????

I have to agree with u Littlewilly, The books is great for motivation and shit, but i hardly think that he trained like forever as it seems, the thing is that everybody thinks so also. I talked to this other BB in my gym, he has some idea that Arnold trained for 8 hours/day sometimes :). Shure i admire the guy and he had the build im going for (+ i want somewhat better legs).
If someone wants tro try his splits go ahead, i was going to before and still might, but im not thinking ill gain better, more fore the experiance.

Yeah the Encyclopedia is a good book! I tried one of the workouts for a little while. It was one of the beginner/intermediate workouts. It was a powerlifting type workout that Arnold said was good to build a good base.

Littlewilly said:
I'm not a fan of ANY of Arnolds routines. I find it hard to beleive he trained the way he did. If he actually did those marathon workouts then he is more of a genetic freak then I thought. Such routines would cripple most people whether they were clean or juiced to the gills.

Look at his book, it is motivational, great pics....but IMO the training advice is total BS.

I'm not knocking Arnold...I just find most of the old time lifters lie about how they trained. 2 workouts per day, 6 days per week, 2-3 hours per session.....?????

but you know what though... that is what most of them did train and train most of them did not have jobs they got paid to train and to look thier best. While i do agree some the routines are a bit much and dont really apply today(if at all) doesnt mean they didnt do them. Technically speaking for some of them thier jobs were to train, eat, sleep and grow that is it. So i dont doubt they did at the very least some of those routines but to say the training advice is nonsense i think is complete bs because i think that most people who read his advice took for it what it was and experimented with his routines. Arnold at the very least gave us the "IDEAS"(not too mention other old time lifters) of how to work out and what excersises were best imo

2-3 hour sessions isn't hard to believe, My work out each day lasts at least 2 hours to get it all set and done.

I wouldn't doubt he did all of it, I mean, look at him.. Even when he was really young like 16-18 years old he was built like a mother fucker

my workouts take an hour, at most 1 hour.... i do chest and stoumach on day 1, shoulders and back on day 2, arms on day 3 and legs on day 4 and repeat that so i work out every day... if i had people to talk to or bullshit with at the gym i could probably drag that lifting out to about 2 hours... but im time pressed so i get in and out... about a minute in between sets and about 3-5 in between exersizes... longer towards the end of course... i aim for about 12 sets on each muscle group... either 3 exersizes of 4 sets, or a 4, 3, 3, 2, or whatever... usually its enough to get my pump and get out...

i dont doubt these guys were IN THE GYM 6-8 hours a day, checking themselves outa nd bullshitting, but actually 'humping and pumping' for 6-8 hours a day? cmon.. talk about over training... my guess is that since they were sponsored, and when your pro like that basically you have no time for a real job, so your working out and getting paid from sponsors and contests so you spend the majority of your time in the gym....

no but seriously, i used to spend 8 hours a day in a gym and i didnt get a dam bit bigger i used to work at a gym... you know, cleaning up after sweaty fat chicks and old men...:D

Paladin said:
2-3 hour sessions isn't hard to believe, My work out each day lasts at least 2 hours to get it all set and done.

Bro trust me when I say 2 hours is anti-productive. After an hour you body gets in a catabolic state (burns muscle) and trust me you don't want your hard work to go to waste.

your muscles catabolize themselves because over 50% of your bodys total creatine supply is burned during the workout. Taking creatine in the correct dosage, whether the loading phase of after, slowly releases needed creatine to the muscles as you work out and afterwards. This dramatically slows the muscles from catabolizing themselves.

Glutamine, taken post-workout- increases the rate of protein synthesis and virtually stops the muscle from catabolizing itself as it hydrates the muscles.

I think i'm doin just fine for now until I uncover some more info on how to more effectively use creatine and glutamine supplements.

Paladin said:
your muscles catabolize themselves because over 50% of your bodys total creatine supply is burned during the workout. Taking creatine in the correct dosage, whether the loading phase of after, slowly releases needed creatine to the muscles as you work out and afterwards. This dramatically slows the muscles from catabolizing themselves.

Glutamine, taken post-workout- increases the rate of protein synthesis and virtually stops the muscle from catabolizing itself as it hydrates the muscles.

I think i'm doin just fine for now until I uncover some more info on how to more effectively use creatine and glutamine supplements.
Bro were did you get this info from an ad? I am a fan of creatine don't get me wrong but it's not a wonder drug.
There is no need for a Loading phase for creatine(Do a search).
But hell if it works for you don't change it.

I prefer 2-3 hour workouts...It feels great....and then cardio take a little while on top of that...I could see how long workouts could benefit those bodybuilders....and when you have some healing juice to help things Im sure you can workout like that

17"Guns said:
Yeah the Encyclopedia is a good book! I tried one of the workouts for a little while. It was one of the beginner/intermediate workouts. It was a powerlifting type workout that Arnold said was good to build a good base.
i'm curious, what did you gain from it?

I have read at least 9 sites in the past 2-3 weeks about creatine and glutamine.

The loading phase isn't required but you obtain noticable gains up to a month quicker.

and that has to be the most innacurately written source on creatine I have read. At least places such as bodybuilding.com draw from multiple resources and numerous experiments on the subject. And provide their sources they have researched.

:molepoke:

Last edited:
Wow some of you guys on this site like marathon workouts. Hey if it works great. But I highly doubt you guys need 2-3 hours in the gym.

I'm not a Mentzer one set kinda guy but I certainly dont spen more then 1 hour at the gym. When in heavy powerlifting mode I may go 1.5 hrs but that is due to very long rest periods between max singles.

I'm definatly with 'nabiller' on this one. Dont BS, dont take 5 mins between sets. Train heavy, train hard, then get home eat and grow!

blackcatfever said:
I prefer 2-3 hour workouts...It feels great....and then cardio take a little while on top of that...I could see how long workouts could benefit those bodybuilders....and when you have some healing juice to help things Im sure you can workout like that

2-3 hours of lifting then cardio?!?!?!?!?!?:rolleyes:

fuck that noise... last week i tried doing cardio then lifting... FUCK THAT NOISE I SAY .. FUCK IT!!! and FUCK IT HARD!!!.. totally fucked up my workout... ill never do cardio and lifting in the same session again, now i wake up an hour early and do cardio instead (my lifting is around lunch time)

Back