average lifts for men

A

Aztech

was always curious to the average lifts...seems there is a study about it somwhere that says 50% of men in their 20's can squat over 185lbs but only 10% can squat over 250lbs.
For bench press, 50% can lift 135lbs and 10% can do over 170lbs.
Deadlift at 50% of men is 210lbs and only 10% can dead over 245lbs.

I was disappointed with what I found. O well, just sharing.

I'd say if you were to go into most gyms the average guy can bench 225-250, THe above average guy can bench 300-315. THe superstars bench 4 plates.

Never seen anyone in a regular gym handle over 4 plates.

Now that is for your mainstream fitness/bb'ing/pretty boy gym. Go inot a powerlifting gym and it's a whole other world. I believe someone said 495 is the new 405. I'd say that is true.

Aczech said:
was always curious to the average lifts...seems there is a study about it somwhere that says 50% of men in their 20's can squat over 185lbs but only 10% can squat over 250lbs.
For bench press, 50% can lift 135lbs and 10% can do over 170lbs.
Deadlift at 50% of men is 210lbs and only 10% can dead over 245lbs.

I was disappointed with what I found. O well, just sharing.

i have guys in my gym that can bench over 500 and cant squat half that..but, they only train for bench...

but as said above...the average joe at the gyn aspires to hang to plates on each side and rep it for 10...you get to 315 and people look at you funny..lol..thats why i switched gyms...now they look at you funny if you dont hang 4 plates on a side and work...

e

roccodart440 said:
I'd say if you were to go into most gyms the average guy can bench 225-250, THe above average guy can bench 300-315. THe superstars bench 4 plates.

I dunno what gym you go to, but at my gym 225 gets decent looks while 315 means your a freak (though I don't think it's crazy and I've seen a small handful of guys benching 4 plates). I go to a mainstream pussy ass gym though, so...my last gym was about he same. I asked a guy to spot me with 265 on the bar and he said he didn't know if he could do it lol!

roccodart440 said:
I believe someone said 495 is the new 405. I'd say that is true.

You poking fun at the saying below my username? :druggie:

outlawtas2 said:
I dunno what gym you go to, but at my gym 225 gets decent looks while 315 means your a freak (though I don't think it's crazy and I've seen a small handful of guys benching 4 plates). I go to a mainstream pussy ass gym though, so...my last gym was about he same. I asked a guy to spot me with 265 on the bar and he said he didn't know if he could do it lol!

This is more of my gym. 225 on bench is getting common...even if people are only repping it a couple times. 315 earns you the respect in my gym. I've only seen two guys lift 405...and only for 2 reps.

As for my original post...i guess it refers to all men, lifting or not. Just kinda shows you how weak man can get in comparison to how strong man can become.

roccodart440 said:

Never seen anyone in a regular gym handle over 4 plates.

Now that is for your mainstream fitness/bb'ing/pretty boy gym. Go inot a powerlifting gym and it's a whole other world. I believe someone said 495 is the new 405. I'd say that is true.
Agreed. Still trying to get to that superstar status...

Aczech said:
As for my original post...i guess it refers to all men, lifting or not. Just kinda shows you how weak man can get in comparison to how strong man can become.
I think that sounds about right what you posted earlier I mean ask anyone at work what they bench they will probably say 185lbs, but you figure they havent benched or workouted so minus 25 to 50lbs since they exxagarate a bit. If you refer to folks who even lift casually yeah most ment do 185lbs, but include folks who dont lift and lift the average goes down. JMO though.

jocktheglide said:
I think that sounds about right what you posted earlier I mean ask anyone at work what they bench they will probably say 185lbs, but you figure they havent benched or workouted so minus 25 to 50lbs since they exxagarate a bit. If you refer to folks who even lift casually yeah most ment do 185lbs, but include folks who dont lift and lift the average goes down. JMO though.

Yeah, I would say that makes sense. If you include everyone (people who don't train at alll) it's probably close to 165-185lbs and 225 amount people who workout consistently.

how can u give averages for lifts for people that weigh different amounts. i'd also have to agree that its gym specific. and yes, certain places 225 is looked at as strong, while other places its looked at like a warmup.

damn i dunno where you guys workout at. I see people squatting 5 plates all the time. Deadlifting over 5 plates all the time. And bench ive seen as much as 5 plates as well. I even saw a pro who works out at my gym squat 7 plates.

Phil9999 said:
damn i dunno where you guys workout at. I see people squatting 5 plates all the time. Deadlifting over 5 plates all the time. And bench ive seen as much as 5 plates as well. I even saw a pro who works out at my gym squat 7 plates.
thats a hardcore gym probably your going too...

Phil9999 said:

I've been to four different gyms and never once say over 405 on a bench or deadlift. As for squats, i've seen 5 plates and 1/2 reps. You workout with the hardcore peeps

The gym I train at, has some dudes that can bench over 315 but they don't squat or deadlift.
Well, maybe they squat once in a while but never seen nothing over 300.
When they see me pulling deads, they think I'm crazy or something.

I'd be much more interested in % of bodyweight lift numbers. I lift in a trendy yuppie gym so 3 plates (or higher) are usually only seen on bar when I'm there. When we got our original tour of the gym my wife said "oh crap honey, their dumbells only go up to 120lbs" the lady doing our tour looked at her like she was an escaped mental patient.

Back