Back pain from squats

Sandman

For the past month or so I have been trying to increase my squat by 5 pounds every week. I do full squats and aren't really new to them since ive been doing squats for about a year and a half regularly. Well my past two squat workouts i did 5 sets of 3 reps and my back was in pain...not like a piercing pain but like a muscle stiffness pain for about 10-15 minutes after my workout. The day after I had no pain or soreness in my back. Im probably going to lower the weight but was wondering if this could be because of a weak back or poor form. I actually deadlift a little more than i can squat right now but am not sure if that constitutes a stronger back to hold the weight up. Sorry I don't have any videos of me squatting

Sandman said:
For the past month or so I have been trying to increase my squat by 5 pounds every week. I do full squats and aren't really new to them since ive been doing squats for about a year and a half regularly. Well my past two squat workouts i did 5 sets of 3 reps and my back was in pain...not like a piercing pain but like a muscle stiffness pain for about 10-15 minutes after my workout. The day after I had no pain or soreness in my back. Im probably going to lower the weight but was wondering if this could be because of a weak back or poor form. I actually deadlift a little more than i can squat right now but am not sure if that constitutes a stronger back to hold the weight up. Sorry I don't have any videos of me squatting
Most likely your form.

huskyguy said:
Also you may have weak abs, strong abs are important when you are doing heavy squats.
true
but sometimes people just arent even "using" their abs when they squat..
many just dont know how to use them..

blackbeard said:
true
but sometimes people just arent even "using" their abs when they squat..
many just dont know how to use them..
I would be thinking more along this line sandman.

I feel the pain in my lower back and I set the bar basically around the middle of my traps...it rests pretty comfortably there. I realize a strong core is essential for squatting and i do do weighted ab work but like blackbeard said, i'm not sure if im really using my abs...am i supposed to flex them while squatting? I'm not sure what i should be feeling in my abs as i squat

Sandman said:
I feel the pain in my lower back and I set the bar basically around the middle of my traps...it rests pretty comfortably there. I realize a strong core is essential for squatting and i do do weighted ab work but like blackbeard said, i'm not sure if im really using my abs...am i supposed to flex them while squatting? I'm not sure what i should be feeling in my abs as i squat

you should be taking a breath at the top and if you are using a belt you should be pushing your abs out against it (if not you will still need to push yor abs out when you begin ur ascent) when you are ready to begin your ascent if you dont your basically putting more pressure onto your low back..

ever try dealiftng with NO ab pressure? i dont recco you do that lol.same thing for the squat..when doing multiple reps itll take some practice to get your breathing down right where it becomes automatic..dont worry about trying to blast out reps take your time at the top and set it right after each rep

Well i did squats again today keeping in mind to focus on using my abs and such. I brought the weight down to 135 which is basically a warm up weight that i dont usually have trouble with and tried to focus on form. But by the third set my lower back was starting to hurt once again and by my fifth set, my back was hurting with the same intensity as if i were using a working weight. Im concerned now and am thinking about taking a break from squatting for two weeks or so. I do deads on friday and squats on tuesday which has always worked for me before but maybe i'm just overtraining my back for some reason. Hopefully after two weeks i wont feel any more pain and in the mean time i'll just use a leg press machine...I really dont want to stop deadlifting because i'm making good progress there but i have a feeling people are going to say i should drop the deads instead and keep squatting....or maybe not

get some video like PB said

im going to assume that you can deadlift more then 135????
yet you dont have any lower back pain from deads only when squatting???
without seeing it seems kinda odd because if your pulling say 315 you definitely should be able to do goodmornings with 135..in fact they should be extremely easy at that weight..so my point is even if your squat form is totally fucked up and you have ecessive lean you shouldnt be experience back pain with that weight..so i cant figure out what your problem is lol

i think i figured it out. I just started doing weighted dips for my chest work out. I do dips on monday and squats on tues. The weights from the dips are making my lower back weaker the next day and my abs are a tiny bit sore the following day as well. Guess i have to change up my schedule.

actually not necessarily that my back is weaker but that it hasnt recovered yet. How does this split look?

M - Back
T - Shoulders & Tris
W - Off
Th - Legs
F - Chest & Bis

Back