Barry Bonds denies steroid use today!

DUANABOL

SAN FRANCISCO - Baseball's Barry Bonds, who holds a record six Most Valuable Player awards, testified on Thursday before a federal grand jury investigating a doping scandal around some of the biggest names in sport.

Behind closed doors, the grand jury is investigating BALCO, a San Francisco area firm and its owner, Victor Conte. The U.S. Anti-Doping Agency has pointed to BALCO, which specializes in nutrition supplements and has many top athletes among its clients, as the source of the new designer steroid tetrahydrogestrinone, or THG.

Bonds, a San Francisco Giants outfielder, looked somber and serious and did not speak to reporters as he arrived at the courthouse with his attorney, Mike Rains.

New York Yankees slugger, Jason Giambi, who previously played for the Oakland Athletics, was also expected to testify on Thursday. Several other athletes who play or have played in the San Francisco area have also testified in recent weeks.

Bonds has denied taking any steroids, but Rains told Reuters last month that he could not rule out the possibility that his client might have unknowingly taken steroids hidden in nutritional shake supplements made by BALCO.

"Theoretically, one might take stuff orally and I guess it could be done that way," Rains said. "I guess anything is possible but we don't have any information or evidence to indicate that that was the case at this point."

THG use could not be detected until the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency developed a test for it.

Bonds was BALCO's most famous client and received free nutritional supplements and analysis from the firm based in Burlingame, California, for three years.

"I visit BALCO every three to six months," Bonds told 'Muscle and Fitness' magazine last year. "They check my blood to make sure my levels are what they should be.... I'm just shocked by what they have been able to do for me."

Although Bonds has not been named as a target, the grand jury probe has renewed questions about the holder of the Major League Baseball record for the most home runs in a season.

He was asked repeatedly about the subject at a news conference after he won his sixth MVP award last month. Police have searched the home of his personal trainer, Greg Anderson, and the San Francisco Chronicle has reported they found illegal steroids there.

In recent years, the 39-year-old slugger has continued to defy age as he reaches toward baseball's most cherished mark -- Hank Aaron's all-time homer record.

Several leading track athletes and baseball stars, among them triple Olympic sprint champion Marion Jones and her partner, Tim Montgomery, the 100 meters world record holder, have already testified before a grand jury.

Five athletes, including European 100 meters champion Dwain Chambers of Britain, had previously tested positive for THG.

Many sports agencies have vowed to step up efforts to catch drug cheats, and the International Olympic Committee said on Thursday that it will test for all banned substances in a more aggressive program at next summer's Athens Olympics.

Last edited:
i love it......he won't get convicted....but watch....the MLB will start cracking down on steroid use for a few years....and the 40 and over homerun hitters will go down, the big names will stop doing as much.....and then they will loosen up

hisswoleness said:
i love it......he won't get convicted....but watch....the MLB will start cracking down on steroid use for a few years....and the 40 and over homerun hitters will go down, the big names will stop doing as much.....and then they will loosen up
No they won't, instead of using the regular old gear, they will now be using desighner drugs, like track athletes have been using for years. And as Barry goes, i am not going to say he doesn't use gear, because obvioulsy i don't know him, but who the fuck cares. If he says he is clean, so be it, i have known much bigger guys than him that were natural and didn't have the money for every supp and trainer under the sun. But like i said, who the fuck cares.

Bonds doesn't fool me, come on the guy is doubling his stats in a year than he did when he was 28 and should of been in his peak. From 30HRs a year at age 25 to 73 at age 38. What the hell? Yeah, I guess its just everyone gets better at 40, and its creatine, and working out in the off season. Its all BS.

LMAO I still remember when this dude asked me if I think Ronnie Coleman used steroids... it was real damn funny at the time.

A person can do all the juice they want and wouldn't be able to hit the ball any better, they may add distance to the balls they hit. You have to have talent to hit 50+ home runs, juice or no juice. Remember with age come wisdom and patients(to most anyway) part of what could be helping him is wait for his pitch, instead of trying to go for it all every swing(I don't remember to much about him) if that was his problem.

I hope more people began to realize that Anabolic Androgenic Steroids (AAS) is not bad for you if they're not abused, any drug that is abused can kill you sooner or later or cause health issues.

If Bonds juices so what he still has talent. If he breaks Hank record so be it, thier'll be people that won't recognize him if he does juice, but then there are people that don't recognize Hank, they say the Babe has the record, because Hank's black they won't recognize him. People can be ignorant.

JohnnyB

Everyone talks about steroids and the home run, but never mentioned is that thing called weights that baseball players seem to have stumbled on. Also, check the dimensions of new parks to those fifty years ago.

JohnnyB said:
A person can do all the juice they want and wouldn't be able to hit the ball any better, they may add distance to the balls they hit. You have to have talent to hit 50+ home runs, juice or no juice. Remember with age come wisdom and patients(to most anyway) part of what could be helping him is wait for his pitch, instead of trying to go for it all every swing(I don't remember to much about him) if that was his problem.

I hope more people began to realize that Anabolic Androgenic Steroids (AAS) is not bad for you if they're not abused, any drug that is abused can kill you sooner or later or cause health issues.

If Bonds juices so what he still has talent. If he breaks Hank record so be it, thier'll be people that won't recognize him if he does juice, but then there are people that don't recognize Hank, they say the Babe has the record, because Hank's black they won't recognize him. People can be ignorant.

JohnnyB

i agree. bonds imo is the best ever. and im a ted williams fan.

Did Bonds juice? Who knows? He could've been on insulin, igf or some other non juice supplement. Besides that, you cannot doubt that Bonds' hitting skills have increased dramatically since his late 20s. It's nearly impossible to put a pitch remotely close to the strike zone without his taking you yard. He's simply a phenomenal hitter.

JohnnyB, you dont' need that much talent. Its possible to hit 50HRs and not be that talented. All a guy needs to do is swing for the fences everytime. He will hit 50HRs but bat .240avg. For example look at Adam Dunn. He was on pace but got hurt and he batted like .240avg. Bonds probably hits more because he is a talented hitter being as how he has a high average. But also consider this. At one point a .330avg would lead the league back in the Boggs,Gwynn era. Now every team has a guy batting that or 50 points higher. Its a hitters era and the AS is just inflating the HR statistics.

Bonds has denied taking any steroids, but Rains told Reuters last month that he could not rule out the possibility that his client might have unknowingly taken steroids hidden in nutritional shake supplements made by BALCO.

Come on does anyone really believe that....

This thread sounds like a witch hunt to discredit Bond's accomplishments if he did use AAS. Come on guys, THIS IS AN Anabolic Androgenic Steroids (AAS) CHAT BOARD. Some of the posts here sound no different than the classic line, "if I took that much gear, I would be that big!". Sure he denies it, and I don't know if that's the truth, but either way hes one hell of a hitter. Give the guy a break, would you admit that you took steroids at a grand jury press conference that was attempting to take down your source? Now who's got the hook on this THG so I can start hitting like that, LOL.

he didnt deny use when he was just in court. nobdy knows what he will say because it wen before a grand jury. the only things he commented on was that it went "fine" and he was "relieved" that it was over. he might of admitted in that couthouse, but we cant know.

Back