Best Excerise For Rear Delts

A couple that work for me are different variations on supported rear dumbell flies.

(1) Take an upright bench, like the one you'd use for seated dumbell shoulder presses, stand behind it, place a rolled up towel on the top, and bend forward at the waist until your forehead is resting on the top of the bench. Then do rear dumbell flies keeping your forearms parallel to each other, bending at the elbow. Go heavy.

-or-

(2) Grab a decline bench, or a chest-supported t-bar row station, and lean against it with your head at the high end. Do straight-arm rear dumbell flies with as little elbow bending as possible. Go light, high reps.

Some back work hits the rear delts too -- barbell rows, t-bar rows in particular.

Rope face pulls are good too. Put the rope on a cable pull-down station, lean back, and pull the rope to your face. You can also do face pulls on the seated cable row.

sex. especially the (rather boring) missionary position. do this for 2 sets of 40 minutes twice per day, you'll have a good time.

Bent over lateral raises (or rows but they involve more back) are great if you don't already have lower back issues. They help strengthen the lower back isometrically. Also, if you lie flat on your stomach and keep the abs drawn in, take a dumbell in each hand (keep it light) and with your arms straight down by your side, palms facing upward, lift the weight using the arms (not the shoulders) to raise up a few inches, hold for 3-5 seconds and lower back down, VERY small movement but very effective in tightening up the "rear delt" area.

Also you can take a barbell behind your back (in standing position), then lean forward until your upper body is almost paralell to the floor, with the bar near your knees, keep the arms straight and raise the bar until it is also paralell to the floor.

Both of these exercises are similar, just one is with dumbells and the other is with a barbell and your standing... the dumbbell one is easier to start with.

I like High and Low rowes. I really think that they work, considering that after 3 months my shirts didn't fit when combined with some flyes and presses.

Bent Laterals...and its aberrations

Barbell Rows...more specifically rows modified so that the bar is rowed to middle-upper chest...instead of the middle-lower abdominal wall

Rowing movements in general...with preference to those with a wider-grip execution

Barbell behind-the-neck-press... Execution: elbows rotated slightly foward so that the wrists/elbows/shoudlers are alligned tru-out the exercise. I find this execution (due to the path the bar travels places more emphasis on the rear delts than the military press does)

~Nark

Anyone here barbell or dumbell row? What is going to provide more overload, a 50 lb bent over lateral dumbell raise or a 300 lb bent row??

Iron Addict

iron addict said:
Anyone here barbell or dumbell row? What is going to provide more overload, a 50 lb bent over lateral dumbell raise or a 300 lb bent row??

Iron Addict

That's all i do for rear delts now Addict...Barbell/Db rows and presses

The movements i proposed above are some that i've done in the past

iron addict said:

Iron Addict

The problem I usually see people with bent over rows is that they put on as much weight as possible and do some type of herky/jerky movement... when I do them I have never gone over 225...

thefantom1 said:
The problem I usually see people with bent over rows is that they put on as much weight as possible and do some type of herky/jerky movement... when I do them I have never gone over 225...

Or they barely bend over, and it ends up as a sort of half-row half-shrug.

iron addict said:

Iron Addict

Yes, I do them both bb and db row.

thefantom1 said:

i thought you liked herky jerky movements. =0l

thats what tex said anyway.

Back