Best time for cardio, am or post workout??

Mikeybltd

Hey guys I've got two options for cardio played around with it a bit over the last couple years but just wanted to know what everyone does, I'm either a 45 min brisk walk in the morning or hiit right after training 3x a week for 15 mins, what you guys reckon is best? Currently cutting at the moment so looking for fat loss.

Cardio is best exercise and i think morning time is good for doing cardio. I do running,swimming and cycling and after doing these exercises i drink protein shake for getting energy.

Im no expert on cardio but i see a lot of people do it in the morning and strength train later.

for me evening or morning doesn't matter BUT what matters is , that it has to be after WORKOUT only....unparallelled for cutting

For fat loss - first thing in the morning low intesity is best because your taking full advantage of very low insulin levels to increase access to fat stores, especially if your taking yohimbe/ec/clen preworkout.

However, this is only really useful for guys dipping down to single digit bf%. For the rest of the population cardio timing is irrelevant as long as it isn't preworkout (lowering your energy levels before lifting is a terrible idea if you plan on maintaining muscle on a cut).

HIIT SUCKS for fat loss, its literally complete overblown garbage constantly pushed by muscle&fitness and other media outlets.
Your only depleting glycogen during hiit, zero fat loss, and the "afterburn" is greatly exaggerated. Compared to low intesity 40 min session, a 20min hiit is only equal to the caloric burn - except you will need longer to recover from it.
So why would you choose a cardio method that requires a longer recovery time when your in a caloric deficit & recovery is already being pushed?
There's a good reason no successful bodybuilder does hiit for contest prep :)

Do it when ever you consistently will do it. Thats the key with cardio so if either time is better for you do it then as constancy is the key. If both are the same, try both yourself and see which you like better.

Ripped...I typically work out in the AM

It's too close to my show to change things greatly, but I would like your input...my final four weeks have looked like this:

Wakeup ~ 6:30am, oats + eggwhites
Warmup+weights ~ 7:30-8:45
Cardio ~ 8:45-9:35am

~~work...play...etc~~~

Evening cardio: 9:30-10:15pm

Repeat...this would be four or five days per week, the other two or three days are similar schedule with only one cardio session (after weights) due to work/time/life constraints

Ripped...I typically work out in the AM

It's too close to my show to change things greatly, but I would like your input...my final four weeks have looked like this:

Wakeup ~ 6:30am, oats + eggwhites
Warmup+weights ~ 7:30-8:45
Cardio ~ 8:45-9:35am

~~work...play...etc~~~

Evening cardio: 9:30-10:15pm

Repeat...this would be four or five days per week, the other two or three days are similar schedule with only one cardio session (after weights) due to work/time/life constraints

I'm going to assume your in single digits with 4 weeks left & your not doing hiit.

If you absolutely must workout in the am, then I suggest changing your evening cardio session to a modified fasted version.
This basically means not eating anything 3-4 hrs prior to your evening cardio session - it wont be the exact same as fasted morning but close enough. Also, when I say fasted I'm saying no food, no amino acids, no protein shakes, nothing.
This can be done anytime your free during the day, as long as you follow the 3-4hr fast protocol.

I should add that to get the most out of these sessions, ec/clen/yohimbe-caffeine-tyrosine stacks pre-cardio would be very useful in targeting the stubborn fat stores.

I'm going to assume your in single digits with 4 weeks left & your not doing hiit.

If you absolutely must workout in the am, then I suggest changing your evening cardio session to a modified fasted version.
This basically means not eating anything 3-4 hrs prior to your evening cardio session - it wont be the exact same as fasted morning but close enough. Also, when I say fasted I'm saying no food, no amino acids, no protein shakes, nothing.
This can be done anytime your free during the day, as long as you follow the 3-4hr fast protocol.

I should add that to get the most out of these sessions, ec/clen/yohimbe-caffeine-tyrosine stacks pre-cardio would be very useful in targeting the stubborn fat stores.
awesome advice here..

I do mine now in the evening pm, as I have found that it gets rid of alot of excess stress from the days problems and activities. My big questions is do I eat before or after?

I do mine now in the evening pm, as I have found that it gets rid of alot of excess stress from the days problems and activities. My big questions is do I eat before or after?

I'll let rip give a better answer, but from what I understand you'd fast first and eat after cardio if you are primarily seeking fat loss...you'd eat before if you are doing it for cardio/stress release/fun reasons.

It depends on why your doing the cardio.

If its for the overall health benefits, reduce stress, etc then you can eat before and after or whenever suits your schedule.
I only recommend fasted cardio, and eating after, to guys who are already relatively lean & are looking to drop those last few stubborn pounds - basically guys below 10%bf.
Other people can do cardio fasted too, I'm just not convinced that there's any added benefit for them using this method.

Good question, I know for me it goes like this I can do a better cardio workout in the afternoon/evening, I can gain stamina more quickly in the afternoon/evening. but I lose weight much easier doing cardio in the morning. I think it just boils down to why your doing cardio, if you wanna lose weight, empty stomach first thing in the morning, you want to get in better shape increase your stamina etc.. you benefit more when your wide awake and have a full tank of fuel in you.

I've read several articles, including the newest one in fitness rx magazine..
Doing cardio AFTER weight training is a bad idea if your goal is to build muscle. Several studies have been done that show that doing cardio after weight training reduces muscle hypertrophy by 30-50%..
So you get done lifting weights to build muscle,, you don't wanna then go and reduce muscle hypertrophy, and do cardio where your body then starts using precious muscle to fuel that cardio session.
Of the articles I've read the best suggestion for muscle building was to do intense weight training with no cardio and just adjust diet for cutting, or to do cardio on a different day or at diff times of the day then the weight training.

I do my cardio after weight training as a way to calm my body down before going home. I do low intensity (135ish bpm), for 20 minutes. Afterwards I feel used up, but in a nice way.

From all the literature I've read in my day, a.m. cardio workouts are best. Try to do it in the morning before a meal. Do the swim, run, bike or whatever followed by a high protein meal With low carbs if possible. Helps to wake up the body and mind as well and you'll I've more energy throughout the day. Good luck!

Sometimes its tough to have the motivation to do it in the AM, but HIIT in the morning. When you do HIIT in the morning, you get whats called "afterburn". Your metabolism is higher after and you burn calories at a faster rate throughout the day.
Do it with a small snack before though. Sooner you eat when waking up, the better the jump on your metabolism. if you wait too long before eating, i.e. waiting til after a workout, it takes a hit on your metabolism. Low metabolism= low fat burn & more likely to store fat.
And when you're cutting, you are already going to be sluggish from low carb, reduced calories. No reason to feel even more sluggish by not eating when you get up.

Back