Blood Tests!! Depressed!!

cooldude_1981

Hey all as i planned for a cycle i just took the advice and went for blood tests before the cycle. i came to know that my tsh levels are abnormally high and i might be hypothyroid. It is a good advice for any beginner to get tested before using steroids to see how is their body doing. i personally don't feel any hypothyroid symptoms. i can easily lose weight, gain weight and maintain it as i watch my calories. This is hereditary in my family. My parents don't have it but my grand parents, my aunt are hypothyroid. i was planning to use test/T4/EC/sibutramine for cutting. well it seems i will drop the idea temporarily i would have to get some more tests to confirm it. Does anyone know if TSH could be elevated due to some deficiency like iodine. i don't add salt in my diet as i get plenty of sodium from other foods. Can it be raised because of some medications or illness. i had malaria couple of weeks ago and i was on medications and antihistamines. Well here are my blood results.

Lipid profile - 9 hour fast

Total Cholesterol-137mg/dl range-120-230
HDL-54mg/dl Range - 35-55mg/dl
LDL-97mg/dl Range - 0-158mg/dl
Triglycerides-80 Range-36-165mg/dl
VLDL-16.2

Complete metabolic panel - 9 hour fast

Electrolytes
sodium - (128-148) - 132
Potassium - (3.5-5.2) - 4.7
cloride - (90-105) - 105
urea-20-50 mg% -48
uric acid-2-8% -5.2
Lipase-21
proteins - Total 5.5-7.8 g% 8.1
Albumin 3-5% - 4.9
Birbulin- Total(0-0.8 mg%) -0.7
Creatinine - 0.6-1.2 mg% 1.4
SGOT-2-40IU - 36
=SGPT-2-45IU - 26
Glucose - Fasting (70-105 mg%) - 81
PP - inorganic phosphate - 3-5mg%)-4.0
Alkaline Phosphatase - (35-129)- 114
Calcium-9-11 mg% - 9.2
Amylase - 72-160 S.U - 85

C-reactive protein - negative (+/-)

Thyroid panel - 12 hour fast

Total Triiodothyronine(t3) - 102 ng/dl (60-200)
Total Thyroxine(T4) - 6.60Ug/dl (4.5 - 12.0)
Free Triiodothyronine(FT3) - 2.55pg/ml (1.7 - 4.2)
Free Thyroxine(FT4) - 0.81ng/dl (.70 - 1.80)
Thyroid stimulating hormone(TSH) - 18.10UIU/ml (0.30 - 5.5)

Hormones - 12 hour fast

Prolactin (PRL) - 8.28 ng/ml -(2.1 - 17.7)
LH - 3.28 mIU/ml -(1.5-9.3)
FSH-4.52mIU/ml-(1.4-18.1)
cortisol - 14.06 mcg/dl
Estradiol/Oestrogen(E2) - 28.69 PG/ML ( 11.60-41.20)
Testosterone - 325.07 ng/dL (241 - 827)
Free Testosterone - 17.34 pg/ml (8.69 - 54.69)

PSA - 0.32 ng/ml (Normal - less than 4.00 Border line - 4.01 - 10.00)
SHBG - 3.20nmol/L (13-71)
17 OH Progesterone (17OH-PROG) - 1.11 NG/ML (0.61 - 3.34)
Androstenedione(A4) - 0.73 ng/mL (0.57 - 2.65)
DHEA - Sulphate(DHEAS) - 331.00 mcg/dl (80-560)

Just out of interst how much Test Enanthate 250mg per week would raise my test levels from my baseline levels of 325.07 ng/dl?
Also how much arimidex would you recommend for someone with my estrogen levels?

Beautiful cholesterol numbers! Just awesome.

Regarding the thyroid issue... endocrinologists are very good at that stuff. See one and get that taken care of. Shouldn't be a big deal. That's great that you've found out you have this situation.

What is probably happen is that you will supplement your thyroid production with a simple pill that you will take every morning. Not a big deal.

I just noticed that you put 'depressed' in the title of this thread. Believe me, this isn't anything to get upset about. Hypothyroidism and clinical hypothyroidism are very common and I doubt treatment is going to be a big deal.

Thanks bro for the words of motivation!! It is funny that i was planning to use synthroid now i might be using for the rest of my life. :laugh3:

Your TSH numbers are obviously very high, however it doesn't necessarily indicate hypothyroidism. T3 and T4 levels are a better indicator of hypothyroidism and they both seem to be within range. TSH is released from your anterior pituatary gland. But for some reason it's registering that your body doesn't have enough t3 and t4 in your body. However your thyroid is functioning fine as indicated by your t3 and t4 levels. Definitely see an endocrinologist just to make sure.

Sub-clinical Hypothyroidism...To Treat Or Not?
Medical Author: Ruchi Mathur, M.D.
Medical Editor: William C. Shiel, Jr., MD, FACP, FACR

In my office last week, I saw a woman who was referred to me by a colleague. The patient was in good health, 48 years old and had no prior medical history of significance except an uncomplicated pregnancy and gallbladder surgery years ago.

While she was under the care of my colleague, a generalist, she had a routine annual physical. As part of that physical, she had a thyroid panel (this includes a screen for thyroid stimulating hormone [TSH] and for the circulating thyroid hormones T3 and T4). As it turns out, all of her evaluation was completely normal except for her thyroid panel. Her blood work revealed a normal T4 and T3 level, but an increased TSH. She was referred to me for assessment.

Her case is an example of a common condition called "sub-clinical hypothyroidism." Basically, with this condition, the pituitary gland, which is in charge of regulating the thyroid gland, produces extra amounts of TSH to stimulate the thyroid to maintain a normal circulating level of thyroid hormones. While this patient is not hypothyroid (her thyroid hormone levels are normal), her pituitary is working hard at keeping her thyroid hormone levels within the normal range. In a significant number of patients, the TSH levels must climb in order to continue to stimulate the thyroid gland. Eventually, over the course of months to years, the thyroid gland no longer responds. At this point, "sub-clinical hypothyroidism" turns into overt hypothyroidism.

Physicians have various view points as to whether sub-clinical hypothyroidism should be treated. There is no real right or wrong answer, and a lot depends on the patient's preference. One criterion that does help to make a decision as to whether treatment should be started is the cholesterol profile. Patients with a high cholesterol level (particularly LDL, or bad cholesterol) usually benefit from thyroid hormone replacement therapy, since their cholesterol profiles often improve with replacement.

As a patient, if you are diagnosed with "sub-clinical hypothyroidism," you should discuss the pros and cons of starting thyroid replacement therapy with your doctor. Likewise, you should have a fasting cholesterol profile to allow you and your doctor to make an informed decision. Whatever you choose, it is important to remember that you need to have continued follow-ups with your doctor. If you have chosen to start replacement therapy, you will need to check your thyroid hormone levels while on replacement. If you have decided to wait, you will need to have blood tests to follow your thyroid function. Remember that your preference plays a large role in any therapy you choose, so don't be afraid to address your questions or concerns.

your high TSH and low SHBG may be of concern (and does indicate possible hypothyroidism)

did they break down your E levels into E1 and E2?

cooldude_1981: Assuming that your TSH score wasn't just a fluke, I don't think what you have is something that I would characterize as subclinical hypothyroidism.

Your high TSH indicates that, despite the T3 and T4 in the normal range, your T3 and T4 are low for YOU according to your body. Accordingly, I think a diagnosis of primary hypothyroidism is more likely.

But I'm not a medical professional. All that I'm here to do is to say that this isn't something to worry about as long as you get the appropriate therapy.

No macro they did not break my estrogen into E1 and E2. what is the significance of getting E1 and E2 separately? sorry for the noob question.

Mranak yeah i am going to get another blood test sometime next week and decide on therapy as informed by an endocrinologist which seems to be a possibility. :(

high levels of estrone can suppress SHBG and have been linked to hypothyroidism. Hypersinsulemia has also been linked to high TSH and low SHBG.

is your body fat relatively high?
fat distribution? android (central) or gynoid (peripheral and lower body)?

Hmm well i am not that fat 14-15% can see my upper abs when i really flex hard. I can see some definition through out the body. I have love handles which are slightly big. otherwise my bodyfat distribution is fairly even. I don't have any visceral fat as well.

Shall i also get estrone test now?

My fasting glucose and triglycerides were

Glucose - Fasting (70-105 mg%) - 81
Triglycerides-80 Range-36-165mg/dl

after a fairly large amount of carbohydrates the previous night. i had around 160 grams of carbs with proteins and fish oil before going to bed.

Yes i did type the SHBG values correctly.

cooldude_1981 said:
Yes i did type the SHBG values correctly.
Odd. I would expect your free testosterone level to be much higher based on your total testosterone levels with SHBG that low.

cooldude_1981 said:
What could be the reason then mate? Any reasons anyone..??

quite possibly high levels of oestrone (which suppresses SHBG). though such readings might also be indicative of the impact of some exogenous estrogen.

also high oat fiber diet might be a possible reason (since this can suppress SHBG)

Bro, it might not be a good time for you to start??? What does your Doc say about your borderline SGOT & urea levels? I would repeat the blood work. Your negative feedback system seems to be doing its job of keeping T-4 WNL. A trip to the endocrinologist is in order IMHO.
To answer your Q about 250 test, in a few months your serum Test level will ONL, somewhere around 1200-1300 ng/dL I would assume from my experience.

berealjohn thanks for replying.

i will get another blood work sometime this week. I just got the blood work done from a pharma lab. i haven't visited a endocrinologist yet. Would got after the second test. i think my urea levels are raised because i had a lot of protein in one go last night before and after workout and my body did not had much chance to flush it out yet. Hopefully another test should clear this as i will eat less or no protein.

With SGOT i am not sure may be due to all the medication i was having for malaria before a week to ten days of blood test. i was basically using anti histamines and malarial medications.

I think my low test is because of my diet as i am unable to get proper calories and fats because of my busy work schedule. I think it should improve as i start eating more calories and fats.

Back