Bottom end of deadlift

I

Insane_Man

Is there currently a good method for working breaking the floor other than deep leg presses?

I was brainstorming today, trying to think if there's any way to use bands or shit to increase tension at the bottom of the lift. I came up with a device that would work like a wheelbarrow basically, a weight that would slide down the lever arm as you raise the bar higher, and return to the original position as you lower it. Think this would have any merit, even though it is somewhat opposite (but not entirely so, as the deadlift is essentially two big movements) to one's natural strength curve?

BTW, thanks for the suggestions guys.

Insane_Man said:
I was brainstorming today, trying to think if there's any way to use bands or shit to increase tension at the bottom of the lift. I came up with a device that would work like a wheelbarrow basically, a weight that would slide down the lever arm as you raise the bar higher, and return to the original position as you lower it. Think this would have any merit, even though it is somewhat opposite (but not entirely so, as the deadlift is essentially two big movements) to one's natural strength curve?

I'd like to see your schematics for that, the idea sounds like a good one. I'd be interested in seeing what you come up with.

Insane_Man said:

i dont think its possible
bands only tighten as you raise or help out in the bottom of the lift

bascially block pulls are what you should do..pulling off block will lengthen your pull and allow you to hit the bottom harder since you are increasing the distancefrom the floor to your knees..

and i would hit either low close stance box squats or pause squats much better than leg presses IMHO

you could also try barbell hack squats. basically a deadlift where the bar is behind you instead of in front of you. it allows you to use weights comparable to your deadlift, but there is a greatly increased emphasis on the quads. if you can build up your strength in this lift, you should get good carryover back to regular deads.

Back