Calories On A Bulking Cycle

The Real Hulk

Hey everyone,
I'm going through a bulking cycle right now.
500mg of Test E EW for 10 weeks, and 50mg Tbol for 4 weeks.
I weigh 183 LBS, with 14% BF and my height is 5"9.
My calories intake right now stands on 3000 (175g of protein) calories which is approximately 500 cal above maintenance.
I'm already 2 and a half weeks into my cycle, and I'm still now sure whether to increase my cal intake or not.
I'm a little afraid of fat gains and stretch mark, that's mainly why I'm abstaining the cal increase.

With my current cal intake I do see gains, but maybe not as I could see if I would have taken in more calories.
What do you recommend me to do? and how much more calories should I add to my daily intake?

How old are you and what is your training like? I would think your maintenance cals are closer to 3000 at your weight and %bf but your metabolism is dependent on age and activity level as well. If you're seeing gains then you can keep your calories right where they are but as you grow more you will need additional calories to maintain your weight and therefore need more cals to grow.

I would think when the test-e kicks in (week 4 or 5) that would be a good time to kick your cals up another 250-500...If you think you can grow more and want to add cals then do so slowly, add 250cals now and additional 250cals in week 4. You will know wether or not its enough cals depending on if you stop growing or if you start putting on additional fat. just make small increases, listen to your body, and readjust from there.

How old are you and what is your training like? I would think your maintenance cals are closer to 3000 at your weight and %bf but your metabolism is dependent on age and activity level as well. If you're seeing gains then you can keep your calories right where they are but as you grow more you will need additional calories to maintain your weight and therefore need more cals to grow.

I would think when the test-e kicks in (week 4 or 5) that would be a good time to kick your cals up another 250-500...If you think you can grow more and want to add cals then do so slowly, add 250cals now and additional 250cals in week 4. You will know wether or not its enough cals depending on if you stop growing or if you start putting on additional fat. just make small increases, listen to your body, and readjust from there.

I'm 22 years old, and my training routine is AB 4 days a week.
Well, I do see gains as I already said, but I've heard from a lot of people that it's not enough to add only 500 cals on a cycle, and that you need somewhat like 1000 cals above maintenance, and 1.5g of protein per lb.
Is that true?

post up your diet

meal1 meal2 etc...

Meal 1:
Cornflakes
4 cups of oatmeal
1 glass of milk

meal 2:
100gr of cooked rice
200gr of cooked potatoes
150gr of chicken
160gr of corn kernels

meal 3:
4 slices of bread
1 tuna can (120gr)
5 spoons of Tahini

meal 4:
a bowl of salad
1 full cottage cheese
walnuts
2 spoons of olive oil
4 slices of bread
1 boiled egg

to sum it up:
3000 cals
175gr of protein
330gr of carbo

Last edited:
I'm of the mindset that 1.5g of protein for a bulking cycle is a fantastic place to start.

Why the corn? It's the undigestable veggie. Also, you only have 4 meals. I'd spread all my marcos out over 6, but that's just me. I'm not a huge fan of canned tuna because of the sodium intake. That combined with the sodium in cottage cheese may have you holding quite a bit of water and feel bloated.

Also, I'd switch out the bread for different carbs such as brown rice, quinoa, sweet potatoes, or real oats.

I'm of the mindset that 1.5g of protein for a bulking cycle is a fantastic place to start.

Why the corn? It's the undigestable veggie. Also, you only have 4 meals. I'd spread all my marcos out over 6, but that's just me. I'm not a huge fan of canned tuna because of the sodium intake. That combined with the sodium in cottage cheese may have you holding quite a bit of water and feel bloated.

Also, I'd switch out the bread for different carbs such as brown rice, quinoa, sweet potatoes, or real oats.
what about the calories? do you think I should increase them?
My maintenance is approximately 2500, so I eat 500 cals above it.

That diet is only going to make you fat. Its not very good at all. Heres an example of my diet and the foods you should be consuming.

I think you should hire 3j's. He can make it specific to your goals. Diet is that important.

6:00am- 6 eggs whites + 1 whole eggs
1 cup oatmeal (sometimes a banana)

9:00am- 7oz of chicken
4oz of brown rice or sweet potato
veggies

11:30am- handful of almonds and 2 scoops of whey protein (50g)

2:30pm- 7oz of chicken
4oz of brown rice (or bismati rice)
mixed veggies

4:00pm- workout

5:00pm- 2 scoops of whey protein (50g), mixed with 10-12oz Concord grape juice + 5g creatine

6:00pm- 7oz fish (or lean beef 2 x a week), green veggies

8:00pm- Cottage cheese

6 fish oil tabs throughout the day
1 gallon of water

This would have been a good diet section question but if yiur TDEE is 2500. 3000 is fine for now. But with 500 over u should see about a pound a week weight increase

This would have been a good diet section question but if yiur TDEE is 2500. 3000 is fine for now. But with 500 over u should see about a pound a week weight increase
Should I increase my protein intake? I only have 175, and it's said that on cycle you need 1.5gr per lb.

Last edited:
That diet is only going to make you fat. Its not very good at all. Heres an example of my diet and the foods you should be consuming.

I think you should hire 3j's. He can make it specific to your goals. Diet is that important.

veggies

mixed veggies

5:00pm- 2 scoops of whey protein (50g), mixed with 10-12oz Concord grape juice + 5g creatine

1 gallon of water
What are your stats? and are you on cycle or not?

I'm 22 years old, and my training routine is AB 4 days a week.
Well, I do see gains as I already said, but I've heard from a lot of people that it's not enough to add only 500 cals on a cycle, and that you need somewhat like 1000 cals above maintenance, and 1.5g of protein per lb.
Is that true?

2g of protien per pound wont hurt you at all.

Great nutrition vid explaining in depth below

Nutrition Tips - YouTube

veggies

mixed veggies

1 gallon of water

good diet

what about the calories? do you think I should increase them?
My maintenance is approximately 2500, so I eat 500 cals above it.

Just bang the calories into you. Your going to get some fat when bulking, worry about getting some muscle size on then lose the excess fat when the muscles there

I built my diet on the 40/40/20 macros. So my bulk at 3500 cal is apx 320grams protien 320 grams carbs and like 70 grams fat. My diets not in front of me so that was a guess number. But I know it's 300+. So yes bring up protien

And 22 cal per pound is mad excessive. I'm 184 that put me to 4000k cals and my TDEE is 2800. That's 1200 over.

Unless yiur talking LBM ( lean body mass) then that be more on track. At 15% body fat it bring my cals to 3500 and that's almost where I bulk

Last edited:
22 calories per pound will be fine on training days, i eat more then that on training days.

then lower your calories by 500-750 on non training days

dont worry about fat if you want to bulk your going to add a little fat if your adding too much then lower your calories, remember as you add weight add more calories.

did you even watch the video i put in here?

Back