chronic knee pain issue please helpp

parham

I am banned!
so over the past year or so i was stupid and did leg days twice a week heavy with decent squat form. now leg days hurt my knees and i went to my doctor and i have flat feet and im assuming overuse of the knee with flat feet caused this. i got the custom food insoles about a week ago but really no change yet. doctor also told me its most likely a tracking problem within my knee. any help please? i do my leg days once a week now and even though the inflammation does calm down but it starts again when i do legs

i know your doctor has said this to you...

- stop doing things that hurt your knee

let your body heal, if its a week or a month

- 100% lay off of all the things that are causing you pain ( injuring you )

i know your doctor has said this to you...

- stop doing things that hurt your knee

let your body heal, if its a week or a month

- 100% lay off of all the things that are causing you pain ( injuring you )

if its a tracking issue i dont think it will ever heal by itself?

Definitely skip leg is my suggestion. Stretching could help, quad and hip flexibility, with tracking issues. When you feel you can do legs again, don't push through knee pain though.

OK... you need to give your knee time to heal, that's a given...

But I have another suggestion that you could think over in the meantime...

Do you have a tight lower back, glutes and hip flexors? If so, all of this tightness will be paying out in the knee region.

Quite often, the fact that your midsection has limited flexibility, results in your knees taking unnecessary load.

If you ARE tight in these areas, I sincerely suggest you watch this following link through - a good few times - and during the time you allow yourself for your knee pain to go - work on this short 20 minute routine regularly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSSDLDhbacc

It worked for me, I can now do legs twice a week pain free and my squat is deeper and cleaner than ever.

You can thank me later! ;)

I also suggest on top of the great advice above, is to see a chiropractor. You'd be amazed at how many issues in the hips can translate into knee problems with heavy resistance training.

I'd also revisit your form. If you're having tracking issues, your feet may be facing too far out/in, causing your knees to follow an unnatural path of motion.

My .02c :)

I agree with all of the above without a doubt. Also, make sure you arent going too deep on squats. No ass to grass, doing that opens your knees up and put tremendous pressure on them. And dont go too heavy on leg extensions as that will do the same thing.

I agree with all of the above without a doubt. Also, make sure you arent going too deep on squats. No ass to grass, doing that opens your knees up and put tremendous pressure on them. And dont go too heavy on leg extensions as that will do the same thing.

I'm going to respectfully disagree on the deep squat thing... I have seen lots of studies that show that the load on the knee joint is not highest at bottom and that deep squats are not more dangerous for the knees.

Here's one:

Analysis of the load on the knee joint and vertebral column with changes in squatting depth and weight load. - PubMed - NCBI

Guys i started foam rolling my quads and it band i am getting severe pain especially at the insertion of the quad to the knee

Schredder I have been adding weight to the leg ext.... and its been in my head as the weight gets heavier that I may soon be biting off more than I can chew....what exactly is too heavy? Im getting over 10 reps. Maybe once you cant reach 10?

Schredder I have been adding weight to the leg ext.... and its been in my head as the weight gets heavier that I may soon be biting off more than I can chew....what exactly is too heavy? Im getting over 10 reps. Maybe once you cant reach 10?

Well, thats a hard questin to answer as everyone is different in terms of what their body can handle. A certain amount of reps isnt a good gauge to use. I would just listen to your body and if you find that your knees begin to take ove, then the weight is too heavy. This exercise doesnt need to be performed very heavy to have it stimulate the quads. And lets say you do it first, next time you could do it second and not even up the weight to have it have a greater effect as you would have pre exhausted your quads. You know what I mean?! You could also incorperate rest pause sets, slower reps and even shorter rest periods bewteen set to have the exact same weight leep working without having to up it :)

Guys i started foam rolling my quads and it band i am getting severe pain especially at the insertion of the quad to the knee

First off if you are in this much pain you need to NOT train your legs for a bit.

How heavy do you go? How low do you go? And where are your knees positioned in realtion to your toes? Do your knees buckle in when you push up? Do you lean forward when you squat? There are soooo many things that could have injured your knee so lets see what your doing wrong. And thats not to sound negative but most people I see squat incorrectly.

First off if you are in this much pain you need to NOT train your legs for a bit.

How heavy do you go? How low do you go? And where are your knees positioned in realtion to your toes? Do your knees buckle in when you push up? Do you lean forward when you squat? There are soooo many things that could have injured your knee so lets see what your doing wrong. And thats not to sound negative but most people I see squat incorrectly.

My knees dont buckle i do heavy but i can handle it. I go 3/4 on squats. First my right knee hurt after a set of leg press like it hurt it when i bend. Then in feb of this year right knee only startes hurting chronic and 3 weeks ago left knee started it

I'm going to respectfully disagree on the deep squat thing... I have seen lots of studies that show that the load on the knee joint is not highest at bottom and that deep squats are not more dangerous for the knees.

Here's one:

Analysis of the load on the knee joint and vertebral column with changes in squatting depth and weight load. - PubMed - NCBI

I would agree with a study of this nature if everyones knee joint was the same and everyone was the same height, weight, had the same squatting stance, squatted the same weight etc etc. Then the study would be accurate, based on who was tested. But with everyone being SO different physically its hard to rely on something like this. I am sure some people dont have an issue with squatting ATG but it CAN out a ton of pressure on the joint. Will it forsure? No but the chances are there so inorder to minimize tisk of injury I recommend NEVER going ATG.

I can get in proper squat position with no weight on my back, just my bodyweight and go down till my hams touch my calfs and my knees feel like theyre goin explode.

Of course i respect you, and I know you bring knowledge to this forum but I cant agree.

My knees dont buckle i do heavy but i can handle it. I go 3/4 on squats. First my right knee hurt after a set of leg press like it hurt it when i bend. Then in feb of this year right knee only startes hurting chronic and 3 weeks ago left knee started it

So it sounds like you injured your one knee and have been overcompensating and know your other knee is effected. Its hard to make a diagnosis online as no one here has equipment to do so lol. If its becoming that much of an issue go to your doc and get an MRI/Xray done to see if youve torn or pulled anything.

So it sounds like you injured your one knee and have been overcompensating and know your other knee is effected. Its hard to make a diagnosis online as no one here has equipment to do so lol. If its becoming that much of an issue go to your doc and get an MRI/Xray done to see if youve torn or pulled anything.

Doctor told me its most likely a tracking issue and prescriped me custom insoles for my flat fleet i hope it fixes it its been a week so far

Doctor told me its most likely a tracking issue and prescriped me custom insoles for my flat fleet i hope it fixes it its been a week so far

Ok well thats a start. And that a tually could very well be the issue. Give it a few week with the custom insoles then re evaluate!

You see the part in bold - your knee is telling you that you CANNOT handle it.

IMO it would be very, very stupid to keep doing the thing that caused the problem in the first place.
You also need to keep in mind that most doctors are clueless when it comes to biomechanics, injuries from resistance training, etc.

In terms of what actually caused the issue, it could literally be anything but without a video of you squatting no one can help.

Back