Code of Conduct

Eze

Do you think that these MMA organizations should hold their fighters responsible for their actions outside of the cage/ring?

In the TUF season when there was a backyard NHB fight Dana came into the house and booted three of the guys involved. He believed that this type of thing give the wrong impression about MMA that they are just a bunch of thug Neanderthals beating the shit out of each other.

Then you get these fighters out on the street getting arrested for stupid meat head shit. Leonard Garcia just got arrested in a cocaine smuggling ring.

If Dana White, the UFC, and other organizations want this sports and their athletes to be taken seriously do you think some type of code of conduct needs to be put in place?

Other professional sports have it.

Of course. They (publically) represent an organization and their basiclly an employee of that company. Its no different then the rest of us that have jobs for companies that have guide lines and codes of conduct for work. Do I think it should be extremely strict and exaggerated, no. But some set guide lines is important.

At the heart of "mixed martial arts," is MARTIAL ARTS. I wish more fighters showed the class and the respect one learns from traditional martial arts. That is the heart and soul of this game IMO. I think that is one of the big paradoxes in this sport...they can maul another person like a beast would, but they can be extremely humble, soft spoken, genuinely nice people. I love the way the guys show class, and that is at the heart of this sport.

With the new crop of fighters who don't have the traditional background, it seems this is something that needs to be enforced, or we will just end up with a bunch of damn thugs on tv...like every other sport out there.

I don't have a great concern what they do outside the ring. There will always be stand up guys who conduct themselves with intelligence and class and there will always be retards.

At the heart of "mixed martial arts," is MARTIAL ARTS. I wish more fighters showed the class and the respect one learns from traditional martial arts. That is the heart and soul of this game IMO. I think that is one of the big paradoxes in this sport...they can maul another person like a beast would, but they can be extremely humble, soft spoken, genuinely nice people. I love the way the guys show class, and that is at the heart of this sport.

With the new crop of fighters who don't have the traditional background, it seems this is something that needs to be enforced, or we will just end up with a bunch of damn thugs on tv...like every other sport out there.

well put and i totally agree, but the orgnizations dont have the right to tell you what you can or cant do outside the ring. If you get convicted of a felony they might be able to cancel your contract but thats about it

well put and i totally agree, but the orgnizations dont have the right to tell you what you can or cant do outside the ring. If you get convicted of a felony they might be able to cancel your contract but thats about it

That's the point bro.. We don't need criminals, mental midgets, and fucking idiots representing this sport..IMO They don't need to tell you how to live your life but I think they DO have the right to set some kind of standard or code of conduct for how you rep the sport, in and out of the ring. If you don't like it, you don't have to sign the contract or fight w/that organization.. that simple.

Very good post!! Guys like GSP and Silva are great examples. I was thiking about this the other day.. I also think it's just one more reason why collegiate wrestlers do so well in the sport and representing. If you've ever been part of a wrestling program (or even a good martial arts school) you learn alot about respect, dedication, hard work, patience, and building character. They are fundamentals to any great program.

dedication, and hard work ill agree with, but respect and character thats a joke right. I talking about wrestling not martial arts.
examples Hughes and Sherk= assholes
GSP and Silva= great ambassadors for the sport

dedication, and hard work ill agree with, but respect and character thats a joke right. I talking about wrestling not martial arts.
examples Hughes and Sherk= assholes
GSP and Silva= great ambassadors for the sport

eh, no one's perfect..lol

If Dana would really pay these guys like he should then maybe that would give them the motivation to keep out of trouble. If I was busting my ass risking my life fighting and not really making jack I might start a drug ring too.

i think that the ufc should act in the best interests of the ufc. if its an image thing then the ufc needs to be careful because they want to get big time sponsors not just xience and some shirt company. in show business image is very important so i dont think its a matter of doing whats right so much as doing whats good for business.

whats worse, ufc fighters fighting in a backyard or a ufc fighter has a gay sex video leaked out?

this is perfect:)

Back