Constant Shoulder pain, mostly while in bed sleeping.

Moose!

So I laid off any lifting for three weeks now loosing a lot of weight:(( I have been in pain the whole damn summer while on Cycle (Tren,Test, Dbol[Kicker]) and went to the orthopedic surgeon last week. I was kinda expecting him to tell me he thought I needed to get an MRI since the pain had lasted for the entire summer. I'm cruising now 250mg/week Test C. Anyhow I got a double MRI two days ago, surgeon calls me today and says no tears and no holes...OMG what a relief, BUT he said I have major tendonitis in both shoulders and a cortisone shot would be a good idea, and may permanently fix the problem. I have been rehabbing but not in the past three to four weeks.

Any of you guys with experience with cortisone? I'm getting mixed reviews b/c they say it can weaken your tendons. And if I go back into heavy lifting I really don't want to go back to that pain sleeping every night. Fortunately I don't have a tear and would just like to get back in the gym do another cycle on November 10th (Deca, Test, & Dbol) 12 wks. This will be a 12 week cruise then back on cycle if shoulder is okay. I read some guys steering away from Military presses. Well it's my favorite exercise. Was doing 275 military free weights easily 5reps 3 sets. Went more but its the Tren I am sure. Hearing people saying stick with the dumbbells, which is no problem.

Thanks for reading fellas,

Moose!

Well Moose I have some bad and some good news. I have been dealing with a bad shoulder from Bicep tendinitis at the shoulder attachment for years. First off if its going take "TIME" for it to heal. Lay off direct shoulder work for a while. I cant give you time becuase it might heal up in 3 weeks or 3 months ya tendons SUCK! I don't care for cortisone myself look into some active techniques like ART, peptides, and google shoulder repair from Defranco and the Renegade guy. It will better in the long run.

I actually have been doing peptides for six months now. I know of TB500 but haven't tried it. I even have some, but I here it's just temp and I am looking for something long term. I'm wondering if any one has had any bad experiences with cortisone? The surgeon explained to be that my shoulders are swelling on the inside and that cortisone will help reduce hence less pain. I've always had broad shoulders just never thought it would come down to this. It sucks!

I had horrible elbow tendonitis going into my meet to the point where my hands would shake and tears would run down my face from pain. Naproxen and ice really helps. You just really need some time off. That is what your body is trying to tell you.

I like marijuana, but, i don't think I can say anything about that...

I had horrible elbow tendonitis going into my meet to the point where my hands would shake and tears would run down my face from pain. Naproxen and ice really helps. You just really need some time off. That is what your body is trying to tell you.

I like marijuana, but, i don't think I can say anything about that...

Yeah Bob Marley is awesome when I am cycling and when I can't drink. Right now I am taking Meloxicam which is like Naproxen. To reduce the swelling. Have you tried Cortisone?

I just want to heal from this tendonitis in my shoulders and train them in a way that this does not happen again. I'm wondering now if I should stay away from Military presses and stick to Dumbbells?

Thankfully I won't need to go under the knife this time. Not that I have before, but crossing my fingers that I never do.

"The problem with athletes is that they look for quick relief. The problem with cortisone is that the athlete may get pain relief, but it may be at the expense of permanent inability to participate in athletics. Athletes often receive cortisone shots in order to play. They go onto the playing field with an injury of such significant magnitude that they received a cortisone shot to relieve the pain. Unfortunately, they cannot feel the pain anymore so they play as if there was no injury. We know that the injury could not possibly be healed because of the tremendous anti-healing properties of cortisone. Thus the athlete is further injured from the cortisone, as well as playing with an injury, thereby worsening the already bad injury."

I would not take a cortisone shot. You need to take some time off brother. Equipose helps with tendons to some extent. Even if the pain is lessened, you are still injured.

Everyone who lifts has bad shoulder issues. I theorize it's due to a large emphasize on pushing movements, and not emphasizing pulling movements equally resulting in rotator cuff injuries.

Everyone likes benching 315+, but no one does their damn rotator isolation.

"The problem with athletes is that they look for quick relief. The problem with cortisone is that the athlete may get pain relief, but it may be at the expense of permanent inability to participate in athletics. Athletes often receive cortisone shots in order to play. They go onto the playing field with an injury of such significant magnitude that they received a cortisone shot to relieve the pain. Unfortunately, they cannot feel the pain anymore so they play as if there was no injury. We know that the injury could not possibly be healed because of the tremendous anti-healing properties of cortisone. Thus the athlete is further injured from the cortisone, as well as playing with an injury, thereby worsening the already bad injury."

I would not take a cortisone shot. You need to take some time off brother. Equipose helps with tendons to some extent. Even if the pain is lessened, you are still injured.

Thanks 308power time wil tell and certainly heal. I'll just have to get back to rehabbing and hope for the best. I'll hit rehabbing for all of October while cruising and hit other body parts, mostly legs as I can also feel the pain from benching too. Hopefully by the time i possibly start my next cycle I will feel better and if not I'll keep cruising while maintaining my healing process. Have you ever tried cortisone? Any reason being against the cortisone shot?

Look into Dr. Kelly Starrett (spelling?) he's got great info about this type of stuff. Also TPT (trigger point therapy), stretching, shoulder dislocations, etc can help too

I've also been having shoulder issues and do notice it worst on some days when I sleep on it. I'm on my 6th week of tb500. I feel like I'm seeing improvements some days are really good and some days could be better but I think it's slowly improving have had some good days in the gym lately since last week. I hope it continues. I'm going to stick with the tb500 for 4 more weeks.

Everyone who lifts has bad shoulder issues. I theorize it's due to a large emphasize on pushing movements, and not emphasizing pulling movements equally resulting in rotator cuff injuries.

Everyone likes benching 315+, but no one does their damn rotator isolation.

I do. :p But I also had shoulder problems BEFORE I discovered them. :worried: Definitely agree though, rotator isolation exercises help ENORMOUSLY. :agreed:

Cortisone will help. The tendinitis pain will go away. But if you keep doing what you are currently doing, the pain will be back when the cortisone wears off. And it will probably be even worse. If you take the cortisone you have to commit to rehabbing the injury. More on that later.

You asked about weakening the tendons. If you keep getting the cortisone shots it can weaken the tendons over time. Eventually to the point where they tear. Most docs will not give you more than three cortisone shots in a year's time. Some stop at two.

You didn't say what part of your shoulder has tendonitis. I am going to assume it is your rotator cuff. As a former pitcher, I can tell you that by far the best exercise you can do to rehab/strengthen your rotator is mixing mashed potatoes with a wooden spoon. Clockwise and counterclockwise. Just keep mixing.

Ice is your friend. Lots and lots of icing. All the time. And then ice some more. Why aren't you icing right now? Ice!!!

Watch the naproxen/ibuprofen. It helps but if you keep taking too much of it your kidneys will not be happy.

Are you icing yet? :)

They've phased out cortisone in the NFL. They now favor a very powerful NSAID called Toradol, generic name ketorolac. It also just masks the pain temporarily, but is not damaging to the tendons and ligaments like cortisone is.

I've gotten Toradol shots before. It's very very powerful, even surpassing some narcotic pain meds. Works better than my Vicodin. But being as powerful as it is, the NSAID side effects, mainly the gastric upset are pretty quick and harsh. The ulcers that take months to develop from daily ibuprofen use can form 2-3 days on Toradol. In fact it's clinical indication has a max therapy of 5 days.

Edit. Watch the stomach. I gave myself an ulcer taking ibuprofen for my herniated disc. If you feel any discomfort such as heartburn or a constant hungry feeling, get yourself some Prilosec and take one every morning before breakfast for two weeks. Its not instant relief, but will work for a few weeks after you finish therapy.

Last edited:
as someone who has had numerous cortisone shots, please don't. you need to heal bro, and cortisone will not do that for you. like halfwit and many others i had shoulder problems (not due to weightlifting) but was determined not to stop lifting. more pulling movements and lots of rotator isolation has helped. surprised nobody's mentioned hgh or deca. i haven't used hgh but i'm currently testing the deca waters now and let me tell ya feeling like you have the joints of twelve year old is pretty sweet.

In the same boat, even though I do equal if not more posterior work; my shoulders have been pulled forward and my bicep has been heavily strained from strongman work. I agree with Dre and Enzo. I've helped mine a lot with dislocates, chest/bicep stretching(a lot of stretching, I've replaced all chest/shoulder/bicep exercise with stretching), posterior activation(tricep, rear delt) to send signals to the bicep to release. And then ice and heat compress to help increase blood flow. As for the cortisone shot, though I have not had one for injury; a guy I work with has had multiple shots in his shoulder.... And from what I can tell his problem isn't going away. He has a temporary relief from pain and then it comes right back. So my opinion is that if the pains so unbearable then yes get the shot, but use that pain relief to better your rehab efforts not to jump back into training and further injure yourself.

Fyi(guy I work with has had problem for about two years)

Last edited:
Look into Dr. Kelly Starrett (spelling?) he's got great info about this type of stuff. Also TPT (trigger point therapy), stretching, shoulder dislocations, etc can help too

Dre I try that TPT and also do some extended reading on Dr Kelly. Thanks for that info :)

I do. :p But I also had shoulder problems BEFORE I discovered them. :worried: Definitely agree though, rotator isolation exercises help ENORMOUSLY. :agreed:

I will work on the rotar Isolation exercises. Thanks Halfwit & Enzo.

Cortisone will help. The tendinitis pain will go away. But if you keep doing what you are currently doing, the pain will be back when the cortisone wears off. And it will probably be even worse. If you take the cortisone you have to commit to rehabbing the injury. More on that later.

You asked about weakening the tendons. If you keep getting the cortisone shots it can weaken the tendons over time. Eventually to the point where they tear. Most docs will not give you more than three cortisone shots in a year's time. Some stop at two.

You didn't say what part of your shoulder has tendonitis. I am going to assume it is your rotator cuff. As a former pitcher, I can tell you that by far the best exercise you can do to rehab/strengthen your rotator is mixing mashed potatoes with a wooden spoon. Clockwise and counterclockwise. Just keep mixing.

Ice is your friend. Lots and lots of icing. All the time. And then ice some more. Why aren't you icing right now? Ice!!!

Watch the naproxen/ibuprofen. It helps but if you keep taking too much of it your kidneys will not be happy.

Are you icing yet? :)

Yes you are right on icing, just my shoulders are so freaken big I'll need to buy some wraps and straps to keep the ice on the shoulders without me having to hold them. Icing is my friend. But when I hit physical Therapy I always ice afterwards.

They've phased out cortisone in the NFL. They now favor a very powerful NSAID called Toradol, generic name ketorolac. It also just masks the pain temporarily, but is not damaging to the tendons and ligaments like cortisone is.

I've gotten Toradol shots before. It's very very powerful, even surpassing some narcotic pain meds. Works better than my Vicodin. But being as powerful as it is, the NSAID side effects, mainly the gastric upset are pretty quick and harsh. The ulcers that take months to develop from daily ibuprofen use can form 2-3 days on Toradol. In fact it's clinical indication has a max therapy of 5 days.

Edit. Watch the stomach. I gave myself an ulcer taking ibuprofen for my herniated disc. If you feel any discomfort such as heartburn or a constant hungry feeling, get yourself some Prilosec and take one every morning before breakfast for two weeks. Its not instant relief, but will work for a few weeks after you finish therapy.

I thought Toradol was a pain killer? I herd they give it to NFL players on the field. Unless it's completely something different, but I'll ask my surgeon about it. Thanks ~ Bushleaguechew!

as someone who has had numerous cortisone shots, please don't. you need to heal bro, and cortisone will not do that for you. like halfwit and many others i had shoulder problems (not due to weightlifting) but was determined not to stop lifting. more pulling movements and lots of rotator isolation has helped. surprised nobody's mentioned hgh or deca. i haven't used hgh but i'm currently testing the deca waters now and let me tell ya feeling like you have the joints of twelve year old is pretty sweet.

I actually have used deca in my last cycle but it only masked the pain and now that I am off cycle, its def prevalently their now. I like deca a lot and it does help, but from my experience it just masks the pain until your off cycle. Just my .05 cents imo.

It is a painkiller. But it's also an anti inflammatory. Where cortisone is a steroid, Toradol is a non steroidal.

I was merely comparing the two and how the effects are similar. Unfortunately the Toradol is only good for a few hours, and can't be used for long term pain and inflammation management. Sorry if I got your hopes up :(

Back