Crashed E?

MS1605

ChiCompton
So I did a small brew a year and a half ago now of test E with Tone's recipe. These went into a cedar box and into a drawer. I checked them out once every 6 months or so to see how they looked. They have been crystal clear for the past year and a half. Well I just went up to check on them and I found something that looks a little weird. On a few of the vials there is a weird floating mass. The best way to describe it is almost like boogers (not trying to be gross). Like a jellyfish almost. It looks slimy and is about an inch long. I have read in the past about gear crystallizing but to mean, it seems like if it crystallized it would be more of a solid, rocky type substance in the vial. Not like my slimy substance. Any ideas anyone? Thanks in advance!

hmmm...I've seen something like this before, not with my recipe though. Being that it was my recipe, you used BB right? That is strange especially because E has such a low melting point that it almost never crashes. If I were you, I would add .5 ml BB to the vial, shake and wait.

Let's see what the other guys say.

I would say add the bb, see what happens. If nothing, then I would re-filter. After doing both of these things, it should be fine and usable.

All you have to do is add a little heat. Set it on the stove on low for a couple minutes. It's obviously the hormone and will more than likely go back into solution.

Well, with the age of the gear, I'm not so sure you have crashing problems so much as it's possible your gear is oxidizing or going rancid!!!!
All the oils we use that are those fatty acids of plants nuts whatever are all prone to rancidity!!! Wesson cooking oil is vegetable oil and is in the same line as Canola grapeseed safflower or any other oil and they all go rancid. Some take much longer than others to do it but they all do at some point!!!!
Heat the vial up to a NORMAL temp say 80-90 degree C and if the emulsion does not go away then I would say you have rancid oil going on!!! How old was the oil when you brewed it??? How long was it sitting around at the place you bought it from before you bought it??? All this plays a factor in it. The gear is 1 1/2 years old but the oil could be 3 years old!!!
If you heat it and it doesn't clear up RAPIDLY (don't heat it for longer than 5-10 min) and it hasn't cleared up yet then I beleive you have rancid oil!!!

THREAD JACK!!!

My 3 vials are recent brew taken when the solution was NOT clear during the brew process.

I have baked it at 350 for 30 mins, it turns clear then crashes very slowly as it cools.
Been thinking of adding BB to it and see if I can fix it.
Or ill just use it and suck it up :)

Back