deadlifts are killing my back!!

I have a weak lower back. I have injured it several times while squatting and the worst time was while performing deads. I might have fudged on the form or something, but I haven't done them since. I know they are a staple lift, and I would love to start doing them again but I'm reluctant. Any suggestions? Will a belt help?

Intelligent Muscle said:
I have a weak lower back. I have injured it several times while squatting and the worst time was while performing deads. I might have fudged on the form or something, but I haven't done them since. I know they are a staple lift, and I would love to start doing them again but I'm reluctant. Any suggestions? Will a belt help?

maybe. but i would just start out light. take ur time.

Intelligent Muscle said:

I weak lower back should be strengthened...and should be the focus of your back workout.

GM's, reverse hypers, and LOTS of core work should be done.

Don't avoid the weakness...focus on it.

B True

If you use an alternated grip like I do, switch it around every set. I am going to switch off week to week from regular deads to SLDL because of my back issues as well, SLDL never ever bother me.

Core work includes training your abs. I HIGHLY suggest doing straight legged full ROM sit-ups with weights...heavy weights would be best. Strengthen your core from ALL of your abs and obliques, lower back, and hip flexors.

I'll see if I can find some articles for you tomorrow...

B True

Back