Dipshit Professor....

bearohs

As some of you may know by now I am currently in my senior year of college.. But i am now taking some easy PE classes for my last semester, so i am taking this Athletic Performance and Nutrition Class.. Well I think the guy that teaches it is full of shit, and just reads journals and runs marathons.. Here is what i am debating with him...

"Something like a bagel can be turned into a lower GI food by adding something like peanut butter to it"

We debated this and i told him that carbs and fats never go together, because of the insulin spike and fat storage, .... He said that the fat prevents the insulin spike...

Who is right, and if you have some kind of hard "peer reviewed" matieral to support it, I am gonna bust his ass in class tommorow- that skinny dork..

By teh way, great place so far, havent been around here too much- been busy with school..

bearohs

ok so the fat might slow the rate at which the simple starch's enter your system, but how can it slow down the functions that cause insulin spikes.

I mean we all know, never mix carbs with fat, especially the simple carbs.

bearohs

So he's saying that donuts and ice cream are health food? That's rich!

If the insulin spike is lessened, it is only by a minimal amount, nothing that would make a difference. Plus total intake is another factor with an insulin spike.

I would just let it go. Debating something like this with a professor is like trying to convince a holy roller that god doesn't exist, or trying to convince an insane person who wants to outlaw abortion that it isn't murder. Sure, you would be right, but all you are going to do is piss that person off. Which is fine when it's some schmuck you could give a rat's ass about. However, when that schmuck happens to hold some power over you, like what grade you will receive, then you need to learn how to play the game.

Most people think college is so you can learn the truth. That is correct. However, the truth isn't facts, it's how to play the game. If you play to win, you might win. If you don't, you'd better have a wealthy family who doesn't need to play the game.

on a lighter note. in my 3rd year of university, i took an advanced organic chemistry course and the topic of DMSO came up as being some sort of catalyst in some reaction that we were discussing. anyhow, out of nowhere, my prof starts talking about how DMSO is used by powerlifters and bodybuilders in fina administration! needless to say, it was one of the highlights of the course!

TxLonghorn said:

Most people think college is so you can learn the truth. That is correct. However, the truth isn't facts, it's how to play the game. If you play to win, you might win. If you don't, you'd better have a wealthy family who doesn't need to play the game.

I would listen to this man. The one thing I learned going through undergrad and law was to state your opinions in class in a non-confrontational manner. Then on the test, regergitate (sp.?) basically the exact crap the professor says in class with very little, I repeat very little, of your own wisdom. Most professors love to hear their opions and pontifications spat back at them on the exams. Trust me, you learn this lesson, Dean's List will be within your easy grasp. Play the GAME.

OK guys just to let you know...
IM doing good in this class, but the other day he was talking about GI index and post workout meals.. I told him that something like OJ with around 40 grams of protien would be optimal, or something Low GI b/c of the anabolic window.. His reply was that you have 2 hours after training and carbs are carbs during this..

BTW- Im looking for some peer reviewed work on DNP, this guy doesnt believe me..

Bearohs

"We debated this and i told him that carbs and fats never go together, because of the insulin spike and fat storage, .... He said that the fat prevents the insulin spike..."

I understood that eating protein with carbs helps to prevent an insulin spike. All I know about fat is that it slows the absorption of food. Imagine the difference between drinking orange juice on an empty stomach as opposed to drinking orange juice with a couple eggs. If you drink the orange juice on an empty stomach you'll likely get the jitters a half hour later coming down off of the insulin spike with the resulting low blood sugar. Whereas when you eat the eggs with the orange juice you feel fine afterward because there was a lessened insulin response because of the protein being present.

Insulin spikes are more apt to happen with high glycemic simple carbs--a bagel shouldn't give too much of an insulin response.

"IM doing good in this class, but the other day he was talking about GI index and post workout meals.. I told him that something like OJ with around 40 grams of protien would be optimal, or something Low GI b/c of the anabolic window.. His reply was that you have 2 hours after training and carbs are carbs during this.."

High glycemic carbs are better post workout and from what I've read should be consumed optimally no later than 1/2 hour to 1 hour after working out. This is because high glycemic carbs like orange juice is absorbed more quickly into the muscles. Low glycemic carbs especially fiberous ones like brown rice take longer to digest and wouldn't replinish the muscles as quickly.

from the literature ive read, the 2-3 hour anabolic window after training is the ONLY time you should have high GI carbs like potato, or white rice, or pasta like spaghetti. if you were to have low GI carbs or fibrous it would slow down the rate at which the glycogen replenishes back into the muscle.......

sure carbs are carbs during this window....this much he said he speaks the truth.....but you want carbs that will replenish the sugar lost in the quickest time.

wether you are looking to pack on the most muscle or looking to recover in the quickest amount of time your body needs, high GI carbs are the way to go. shiiiat save the low GI carbs for 4-5 hours after your workout to keep the protein rate steady. mman i wish i was in your class lol ;p

I'm glad I'm not in his class! It just brings back memories of some of the BS I had to listen to in college and that was put out there as "facts" that were nothing more than my professor's biased opinions. Usually it was in social science classes though(not in PE). Good luck bro with the class.

The lowering of GI from fats is somewhat inconclusive. I think the more important thing to worry about is the chance for insulin resistance with a bagel and fat meal.

If you want peer reviewed research on DNP, I would suggest you go talk to ANDY13 over at Elitefitness. He is pretty knowledgeable in that department.

BMJ

Spiking insulin via high simple carbs is most productive post workout. That is why people using slin do it post workout...

Back