do deadlifts thicken waist

0nyx said:
needsize where about in canada are you ?? alberta?

im in mississauga toronto :D .. not oakland pullin' lol

what are rack pressses?

I'm about 30 minutes away, on the other side of hamilton

OK here it is, assistance day at the gym for bench work

4 borad presses
315x5
335x5
355x5
5 board presses
375x5
395x5
415x5

could have gone heavier but that is where is topped today and will start 20lbs heavier next week.

rack presses, these are done by adding thirty lbs ea set until you cannot do a set of 5.

405x5
435x5

had an emergency phone call from home, so i had to cut it short and leave. dont these people know that I am not to be disturbed at the gym?

anyway back and hammies work on thursday and shirt work on saturday. all my pards are going to the Arnoold so i may not have any spotters. if that be the case i may have to lose saturdays workout. oh well. one of my pards is benching at the arnold in the 198s and going for the all time world record of 683 in the 198s. he is hopin to hit 7 and i believe he will. here's a clip of him benching

http://69.56.243.110/~igame/videos/...ackBarbellIPAMeet-600lb,635lb,665lbBP@212.wmv

Last edited:
excellent posts pullinbig, needsize.

A minor point: besides the DLs, coleman goes for 10-12 reps on ALL exercises. Was unfrigginbelievable seeing the guy go for 12 reps with 200lb DBs.

Same with the front squats where I think he went 5-6 plates a side for 10 reps.

Incidentally, why do PLs wear these "suits" ? Why not just try for your max in the "raw" ?
No straps, belts, wraps, suits, ......

Toranaga said:
excellent posts pullinbig, needsize.

A minor point: besides the DLs, coleman goes for 10-12 reps on ALL exercises. Was unfrigginbelievable seeing the guy go for 12 reps with 200lb DBs.

Same with the front squats where I think he went 5-6 plates a side for 10 reps.

coleman does not do 10-12 reps on all other exercises. I saw him squatting and he hit 855 for 4. wraps and a belt. he is a converted PLer. he understands the principal that strength = size. not the other way around. compound movements are the key to strength gains not tricept kick backs and isolation db curls three times per week. I ocasionally do higher rep stuff in the off season, but its more of a break than for strength building. the body can only take so much constant bombing.

Toranaga said:
Incidentally, why do PLs wear these "suits" ? Why not just try for your max in the "raw" ?
No straps, belts, wraps, suits, ......

they have assited and none assited divisions. the suits, wraps, belt and shirts add support to protect the lifters. of course the more gear you wear the more you can lift. a good example of this is the dbl denim bench shirts. they completely protect the shoulder from damge. and for me that is nice cause i always have shoulder probs from the years of heavy pounding. good luck

pullinbig said:
OK here it is, assistance day at the gym for bench work

4 borad presses
315x5
335x5
355x5
5 board presses
375x5
395x5
415x5

could have gone heavier but that is where is topped today and will start 20lbs heavier next week.

rack presses, these are done by adding thirty lbs ea set until you cannot do a set of 5.

405x5
435x5

had an emergency phone call from home, so i had to cut it short and leave. dont these people know that I am not to be disturbed at the gym?

anyway back and hammies work on thursday and shirt work on saturday. all my pards are going to the Arnoold so i may not have any spotters. if that be the case i may have to lose saturdays workout. oh well. one of my pards is benching at the arnold in the 198s and going for the all time world record of 683 in the 198s. he is hopin to hit 7 and i believe he will. here's a clip of him benching

http://69.56.243.110/~igame/videos/...ackBarbellIPAMeet-600lb,635lb,665lbBP@212.wmv

You should start a training log in the training journal forum. It would be a good read.

Cool, you train with McVicar. I was hoping to meet him when I went to Nazareth Barbell but he wasn't there.

He has an interesting setup on bench. He sets his feet and then arches, and then after he's set he untucks his feet a little. Seems like he'd lose some leg drive by doing that. I wonder why he does it.

I never said I disagree with the DL strength principles.

You're wrong about Ronnie's reps. Watch the movie. Goes without saying that training regiments change for every pro, nevertheless, 10 weeks out of the Olympia, he does 10-12 reps on almost all exercises (except DL obviously).

pullinbig said:
coleman does not do 10-12 reps on all other exercises. I saw him squatting and he hit 855 for 4. wraps and a belt. he is a converted PLer. he understands the principal that strength = size. not the other way around. compound movements are the key to strength gains not tricept kick backs and isolation db curls three times per week. I ocasionally do higher rep stuff in the off season, but its more of a break than for strength building. the body can only take so much constant bombing.

didn't know about the divisions. thanks for sharing.

pullinbig said:
they have assited and none assited divisions. the suits, wraps, belt and shirts add support to protect the lifters. of course the more gear you wear the more you can lift. a good example of this is the dbl denim bench shirts. they completely protect the shoulder from damge. and for me that is nice cause i always have shoulder probs from the years of heavy pounding. good luck

Toranaga said:
I never said I disagree with the DL strength principles.

You're wrong about Ronnie's reps. Watch the movie. Goes without saying that training regiments change for every pro, nevertheless, 10 weeks out of the Olympia, he does 10-12 reps on almost all exercises (except DL obviously).

those movies are made for reason. to make money. ikf you respond better to high reps then have at it. I know what works for me.

slobberknocker said:
Cool, you train with McVicar. I was hoping to meet him when I went to Nazareth Barbell but he wasn't there.

He has an interesting setup on bench. He sets his feet and then arches, and then after he's set he untucks his feet a little. Seems like he'd lose some leg drive by doing that. I wonder why he does it.

jeff changed me all around. one of the guys i train with a 220 junior went from benching 535 to a all time biggest bench by a 220 junior of 605 at an ipa meet last month. you get tremendous leg drive by using this form. jeef has been living with bill c for the last 2 weeks getting ready for the arnold. we talk a couple times a week and he trains down her frequently. he lived down here for several months. when it comes to benching he is king in my book.

the set up is very uncomfortable until the bar is handed off then it pins you against the bench. i was benching the old fasion way until recently and look forward to my next meet. I usually do full power but am going to do a bench only my next meet. there is an APF meet in Va beach in a few weeks so I may do that to see if I can get the 308 all time APF open and masters 2 bench at the same meet. I know i'll get the masters 2 as it is only 501 and the all time is 640. onn bassoon hit a 677 but for some reason it didnt count towards the record. i emailed ernie, his admin said she didnt know why it didnt get entered. but anyway hit ya a seminar and make the switch, you'll be happy. watch that video clip several times, study every aspect of it. a 3x BW bench is awesome.

OK here's tonight's back and hammie work out.

after warm ups

rack pulls from just below knee height
2 sets x 5 reps 725. Just barley got the last one. thats good

bent over rows
1 x 5 405
1 x 5 455 forced rep on 5th rep here as well

hammer strenght high row
1 x 5 10 plates
1 x 5 10 plates and 2 quaters. forced rep on 5th rep here too.

well thats it boys and girls. back is fried and tight. I am sure it will be cramping when i try to wash my ass tonight in the shower. =0)

saturday will be shirt work for bench if i can get some spottters. all my gang is at the arnold so we'll see what happens. I'll post results. Aint this fun??

oh yeah, you may notice that I only did 6 work sets. if you train heavy (heavy for you) you dont need much more. this is the first time i have done rack pulls in close to a year so i was happy with results. I am just getting back into a regular workout schedule. It feels good, dont take it for granted.

Last edited:
one more note: if you noticed there is no overhead movement in my back routine. last year about this time i injured a nerve and pulled a muscle doing wide grip pull downs. took me several months to recover completely from that. My chiro suggested i lay off all over head movements. I think it is a genetic thing with me as almost every injury i have suffered from lifting has come when I was doing something overhead. IE militarys, pull overs, pulldowns, pull ups, etc..... stay safe and train hard guys

Last edited:
well missed saturdays bench day cause all my pards were at the Arnold. here's todays squat day, warmed up then:

squats 585 for 1 set of 5 reps. (wraps and a belt)

box squats 405 for 2 sets of 5 reps.

leg press 1340 for 1 set of 5 reps.

as you can see i only did 5 work sets. probably did 12 warm up sets but i dont count them. the box squats are more about form than power. none the less a great exercise.

everyhting felt light tonight so next week i move up in weight.

bench assistance work tomorrow night, i'll post results.

good luck everybody and stay safe. there is nothing more frustrating than being injured and not being able to train or having to train around injuries. dont take it for granted, it is a privelage to lift.

Last edited:
tonight was bench assistance work. I only list the work sets.

4 board press
355x3
375x3
395x3
5 board press
415x3
435x3
455x3
rack lockouts
365x3
395x3
425x3
455x3
485x3
515, got two and missed the third rep.

back and ham work on thursday. i'll post results.

feels so good to be in the gym on a regular basis again. after spendig over a year injured and missing training sessions because of my wifes health i am very happy with my numbers. i know these are small to some but to me it represents victory over injury and adversity.

i have my first meet coming up in a few weeks after having not competed in well over a year. I normally do full power but I am doing a bench meet first meet back.

hope you guys find these posts informative and useful. train smart.

my routine for yesterday was for my chest and triceps

for the past 2 1/2 - 3 weeks pullinbig has had me on a routine to gain size +strength. it has worked fantastic so far..

story goes.. for the past 7-8 months my bench press has been at a halt at 135 lbs. i could get that done fine, but when i went up to 155lb i stuggled out only a couple reps, but needed some help. the weight i was normally doing, even started to feel heavier at times..

well, the past three weeks now .. my first week i did my bench and got up to like 145lbs .. heavy ... the week after somehow i got my bench to 160 lbs for 5 reps. and yesterday :

Bench press :
4 warm up sets
2 work sets - 1- 170 lbs x6 ... and since i had a spot, i thought what the hell ... i threw on 180 lbs hoping to push out 1 ... but got 180 x 6 as well. pullin had me widen my grip a little more than what i used to have, and since i did this i also felt it a lot more in my pecs.

board press (lacking board as of now ... but hes hounded me, so im getting 1 :p) i bring the weight down to about 6 inches above my chest pause for 3-5 secs , then push up

2 sets - 135 lbs

incline bp
2 sets x 115 (need to work on my form for incline, as i usually am a little wobbly and strain my shoulders sometimes)

dips -
1 set wide grip x bodyweight
1 set close grip x bodyweight (couldn't use weights cuz my tris were already shot :D )

side lateral raises
2 sets .. 10 lb db x 8-10

thats about it for my workout.. i feel much stronger ... and it has worked great :D in no time ill be competing against pullin :p (just joking sir :( )

0nyx said:
my routine for yesterday was for my chest and triceps

for the past 2 1/2 - 3 weeks pullinbig has had me on a routine to gain size +strength. it has worked fantastic so far..

story goes.. for the past 7-8 months my bench press has been at a halt at 135 lbs. i could get that done fine, but when i went up to 155lb i stuggled out only a couple reps, but needed some help. the weight i was normally doing, even started to feel heavier at times..

well, the past three weeks now .. my first week i did my bench and got up to like 145lbs .. heavy ... the week after somehow i got my bench to 160 lbs for 5 reps. and yesterday :

Bench press :
4 warm up sets
2 work sets - 1- 170 lbs x6 ... and since i had a spot, i thought what the hell ... i threw on 180 lbs hoping to push out 1 ... but got 180 x 6 as well. pullin had me widen my grip a little more than what i used to have, and since i did this i also felt it a lot more in my pecs.

board press (lacking board as of now ... but hes hounded me, so im getting 1 :p) i bring the weight down to about 6 inches above my chest pause for 3-5 secs , then push up

2 sets - 135 lbs

incline bp
2 sets x 115 (need to work on my form for incline, as i usually am a little wobbly and strain my shoulders sometimes)

dips -
1 set wide grip x bodyweight
1 set close grip x bodyweight (couldn't use weights cuz my tris were already shot :D )

side lateral raises
2 sets .. 10 lb db x 8-10

thats about it for my workout.. i feel much stronger ... and it has worked great :D in no time ill be competing against pullin :p (just joking sir :( )

yeah.... if you get you a board or two to work with. go get ya chunk of sumpin 5 or 6" thick and quit messin around before you hurt you little wings. lolololol

OK here it is. keep in mind that i have a bench meet coming up 4/3/04 so my back and ham work will be abbreviated for the next few weeks. We have our heavy bench day on saturday so i wanna be fresh for that. with that said

dead lifts
545 x 5
585 x 3

bent over rows
405 x 5
425 x 4

i normally would do at least one more exercise and hit the deads a little heavier but this is maintenace work til the meet is over.

lift safe and train hard everyone.

Back