do deadlifts thicken waist

Hey guys i don't pull your numbers but heres a thought for ya.

If i think like a bodybuilder will i look like a bodybuilder and

If i think like a power-lifter will i look like a power-lifter?

there both very different in symmetry? yes no?

also doesn't HGH in supra doses like what Big Ron take make your midsection bigger.

Last edited:
I think the danger of "thickening" the waist is not something to be too concerned with. There a lots of strong guys with relatively small waists. In other words, you are not going to wake up one day after squats with five inches added to your waistline.

I think those who really excel in the heavier weight classes of powerlifting are somewhat predisposed to have bigger waistlines.

I have noticed that squats thicken my waist more than deadlifts, but deadlifts strengthen it way more than squats. I keep my squats between 12-15 reps as it helps me gain weight everywhere just as much as 8-12, but my waist doesnt get as thick as 8-12 for some reason. Sometimes I do 20 reps but thats a different story. Everyone is different.

the ironic thing is my waist stayed small with super heavy squats and deads, ie 500lb squats(5 reps) and 550lb deadlifts(6 reps), it never got over 30" on stage....
Due to injuries I dont do either exercises anymore and my waist is thicker....go figure

495 dead for reps
405 squat for reps

32" waist nuff said!

Just because people relate those 2 exercises (deads+squats) doesnt mean you will turn into a strong man looking dood.

Bodytype makes ur waist size. Unless ofcourse u eat Drol and With ur pizza . lol

38 years old
6'1 (maybe lol )
207 lbs. (skinny yes)
strong as a Buffalo!
Training for 15+ years.
Cycles maybe 7. Im part time haha.

I think any compound movement like a squat or deadlift (where upper and lower body are involved) both exercise a great amount of core strength.

Do they thicken the waste? Depends on
your diet and what you are trying to do.
Both movements will make your core stronger (more muscle). Deadlifts and
squats will help your whole physique
fill out (abs, spinal erectors included)
Your diet will ultimately determine your
waist.

Yes they will. I think some top BBers could even back off them completely along with not training abs, and be able to reduce the area and have more v taper. But deads are in vogue. They are great and I use them but there is a point where many pros might benefit from backing off them.

whats up guys? i haven't been on here in a while. nice to see the board is still kicking.

damn i just saw my pic. i was well over 300 in that pic. im 226 now at 6.88% bf. that pic is from the 05 apf nationals in detroit.

my training is a lot different now as i have shifted over the more of a martial arts style of training. im still squatting and pulling though. as a matter of fact i pulled deads today.

ill have to get an updated pic.

Last edited:
squats/deadlifts

BRO, neither will thicken your waist. Look at a detailed anatomy book and look at the muscles in the area. The only thing that will "thicken" it is your diet.

yeah this post has ran a long time. The waist is most diet but dead lifts have really made me thicker all around. There was a day when bodybuilders were characterized by thick massive torsos, tumbling traps, and sweeping lats that hung like boxcar doors from broad-beamed shoulders. All this came about from slapping as many iron plates as possible onto a barbell and dead lifting it off the ground in whatever manner it took to get the weight up.

The deadlift is the oldest of all weight training exercises and is one of the most effective exercises for overall body development. Deadlifts are not pretty and neither are the men who hoisted them, but this movement made their physiques the biggest, thickest, and strongest in the world.

The deadlift is a compound movement that works all of the major muscles in the body, with most of emphasis on the traps, spinal erectors, hips, glutes, and hamstrings. The remaining muscles are involved in stability control.

It is the purest single test of strength because it is one of the few lifts where you lift a dead weight off the ground. In most other lifts the weight changes direction or starts from the top position and you can use reverseal strength and momentum to rebound and assist in lifting the weight, as in the squat and bench press.

I think any compound movement like a squat or deadlift (where upper and lower body are involved) both exercise a great amount of core strength.

Do they thicken the waste? Depends on
your diet and what you are trying to do.
Both movements will make your core stronger (more muscle). Deadlifts and
squats will help your whole physique
fill out (abs, spinal erectors included)
Your diet will ultimately determine your
waist

sry but can u explain this?

I don't think this debate is really settled, it probably does effect the waist size in some people(genetics), once you have cut the fat off. I used to have a thin waist, but after years of squatting and adding muscle everywhere, my waist is much thicker. It doesn't just stay the same despite having to do heavy exercise

For some people having a small waist with huge upper and lower body is hard, even in the gym only a small fraction of people have that combination.

Last edited:
waist thickening vs V-taper

Goal is V-taper in bodybuilding at least for most. Many bb's NEVER work out their lateral obliques, so that means never twisting during situps, etc. However, they never "purposefully" work them out. Squats, dead lifts, and flat bench are 3 exercises that your entire body strains, and this includes your obliques. They are MASS building exercises and without them I believe it's nearly impossible to "get huge." I personally never work out my obliques (twist while doing abs). I would rather have shredded small obliques and a v-taper than look like a square.

Back