do deadlifts thicken waist

I'm with pullinbig in not counting warmups as sets. My approach is a little different though, heres an example
squats
45 x 10
135 x 8
225 x 5
315 x 5
405 x 3
465 x 5(work set)
405 x 8(work set)
then I finish up with other leg stuff like leg presses and hacks

finally made it back to the gym today. last couple of weeks have been trying to say the least.

worked posterior

GMs
405 x 5 lowered the pins two more inches cause after looking at my last ones on film i was too high

did 1 set of squats just to get some blood flowin
405 x 10

high rows
12 plates x 6 reps

seted cable rows
stack x 6

headed home and had my post workout shake (100g pro and 150g carbs) ate again two hours later and will do another 105g pro shake at bedtime.

nice numbers J

how the hell u getting 100 g of protein in a drink ??

is it like 1 litre of shake?

three scoops and some milk. whey isolate, not that cheap concentrate crap. about 16oz. no flavor, no additives just protein. 28g per 30g scoop. most of them are 22g/30 scoop.

trueprotein.com

Didn't want to start another thread so I'll ask my question here: Ok I've been practicing and I can deadlift without scraping my shins, so I'm going to add them to my workout. I already do SLDL on leg day, will doing both types overtrain my lower back. I'm not going very heavy (about 115-135) because I have issues with my SI joints and my hips are uneven. So would it be alright to do regular deads on Monday then SLDL on Wednesday with my leg workout? Thanks y'all, sorry to be a pest.

pullinbig said:
on leg day (monday) i do all pressing exercises. primarily squats.

thursady is posterior day and i do do deads or a variation of deads. works for me without overtraining. i got pretty big legs.

http://ironaddicts.com/Video/405x4squat.avi

The video won't load for me, but I'm sure you have big legs if you're squatting 405 :) I did them (deads) yesterday at the gym and I scrapped my friggin' shins. I didn't when I was at home. Not sure what I was doing differently. I'll keep them on back day, because I've decided to get rid of leg day (for the summer) and focus on sprints, plyometrics, running stairs and biking. Leg day leaves me sore for an entire week and that makes doing other activities like running and climbing difficult. Thanks for the advice.

BronzedGoddess said:
The video won't load for me, but I'm sure you have big legs if you're squatting 405 :) I did them (deads) yesterday at the gym and I scrapped my friggin' shins. I didn't when I was at home. Not sure what I was doing differently. I'll keep them on back day, because I've decided to get rid of leg day (for the summer) and focus on sprints, plyometrics, running stairs and biking. Leg day leaves me sore for an entire week and that makes doing other activities like running and climbing difficult. Thanks for the advice.

uhhhh. i squat over 800lbs. that was a warm up. lololol i like bloody shins, keep it up

is that guy gay too?

now you met a 800lb squatter. ther are a lot of us. the world record is 1141.

i am impressed by you as well. good luck sis

What happened to them kickass photos/videos you were gonna post pullinbig?

Ive been sitting here waiting all excited for weeks :p

Edit: Nm, I found em ;)

Last edited:
I like that routine. I need something different because of time restraints and a weekend job. Im also looking for sheer size and strenghth. Only question is what about military presses, do you incorporate them? It also sounds like not much arm work. I shouldn't try tricep pressdowns or skull crushers or preachers for Bi's?

I'm not sure if they thicken my waist, but they give me a big butt. When I'm coming down in size for summer, I usually lighten the weight on deadlifts and switch to leg pressing for quads. This drops a couple of inches from my hip measurement in a couple of months.

woot you went from pullin 315x1 to 495x1 in 4 weeks? i saw your posts from 4-20 to 5-21-04. what was the diet like and were you on cycle or off? thats a ton of weight to jump.

Genetics, growth hormone and diet thicken your waist, not weightlifting. The abdominal msucles are postural in nature much like the deep muscles of the back and legs, thus they are nearly all slow twitch fibers, that have little propensity for growth, perhaps 15%. This is the same reason a lot of people bitch about their calves, because the soleus muscle underneath the gastroc is almost exclusively slow twitch fibers, and depending on your genetic gifts from your parents, can wreak havoc in the development thereof.

nice thread...learned a lot..:)
In my gym, sadly, we don't have power racks...henforth I have to do squats in smith machine. Is that alright? and no, my no. is still very low....

painless2 said:
Genetics, growth hormone and diet thicken your waist, not weightlifting.

I have to disagree. Heavy squats make my waist thicker. I don't have much of a waist as it is, but when I squat heavy my obliques grow and it gives me a very boxy, boyish shape. But I can only speak from my experiences.

Back