evansss training log

evansss

GET BIG
i have always been a fan of keeping a workout journal because I seem to get the most productive workouts when I have all my exercises layed out before i hit them, and the weights that i have gotten the last time i did them. Anyway, I am 20 years old, and have been lifting for about 6 years. I'm 5 10 and weight aprox 225 give or take. Last time I got my bodyfat tested it was around 15% though mostly all of it imo is sitting in my stomach. I am going to give needsize's 5x5 routine a try after hearing all the good things people had to say about it. I took the exercises primarily from laxmel2's break down of his 5x5 so credit is due mostly to him. However, I changed up the days a little bit to look as follows.
Day 1:
Chest/Calves
• Flat Bench 5x5
• Incline DB press 3x 8-10
• Incline fly 3x8-10
• Incline machine 3x8-10
• Standing calves 3x15
• Sitting calves 3x15

Day 2:
Shoulders/Back
• DB Press 5x5
• Lat raises 3x8-10
• Shrugs 3x15
• Deadlifts 5x5
• Cable row 3x8-10
• Lat pull down 3x8-10
• Pull Ups 3x failure

Day 3: Ab's and Cardio

Day 4:
Bi’s and tri’s
• hammer curls 5x5
• ez bar curls 3x8-10
• BB curls 3x8-10
• skull crushers 5x5
• rope pull down 3x8-10
• tri extension ( 1 arm db) 3x8-10

Day 5:
Legs
• Squat 5x5
• Quad ext. 3x8-10
• Ham curls 3x8-10

Day 6:Rest

Day 7: Ab's and Cardio

Aditionally, I am starting this diet in college, which means my meals for the most part arnt as they should be. Most of my protein comes from canned tuna, grilled chicken on the foreman, and turkey sandwhich's in the dining hall. Other than that everything else is garbage. My diet will lack in this fashion till early may where i'll be able to come home and eat properly. I will be posting my diet along with my workouts as well. Any and all comments are welcomed and encouraged. Thanks guys.

Last edited:
4/20

9:00 am - egg white omelet with ham
one cup of oatmeal with two packs of regular sugar

10:45am - 1 bowl of lowfat granola with skim milk

1:00pm - 2 cans of tuna fish with franks red hot (my personal favorite)

3:30 WORKOUT
Chest/ calves
Flat Bench
135x10 (warmup) 275x5/275x5/275x5/275x5/275x5
Incline DB Press 70x10/ 75x10/ 85x10 ( wanted to test different weights)
Incline Fly 40x10/40x10/40x10
Incline Smythe Machine 180x8/180x8/180x5 ( not counting bar)
Standing Calve Raises (Smythe) 180x15/230x15/250x15
Sitting Calves 15x395/15x395/15x395 (on shitty lifefitness machine, that was whole stack)

Well its good to finally get back to a lower rep scheme. i was doing some cockeyed "fat-burning" program that had me doing high reps n sets with lots of supersets. Its good to get back to the basics. Read earlier that sombody suggested swallowing their pride with respect to how much weight they usually put up on each exercise. well i listened and was glad i did. the 275 started to feel heavy after my 4th set and my chest was shot by the time I was doing incline smythe's. All in all good workout and im looking foward to doing the other muscles in the same fashion. Only major problem I forsee is my PWN due to the fact i'm at college and i'm broke, but this will change early may when im out.

5:15 Turkey Sandwich on whole wheat bread with lettuce and a little bit of honey mustard dressing (no clue fat content) and a sausage and peppers hero. ( the only other thing that had a significant amount of protein n carbs)
1 small cup of jello

* i hate eating in my dining hall...the food is poorly prepared and tastes like shit.

8:45- 1 can of tuna with franks red hot. Small cup of dry roasted shelled peanuts.

I have no supplements left, and im broke. and i only got chcken breasts n tuna left in the room. Getting real boring real quickly.

Last edited:
Welcome. Just add your weights to your journal as well and you'll be set. Good luck with everything. :)

Hey bro, first of all nice log, keep it up!!

Just a few things about your training. IMO, it's too much volume. If you're going to be doing the 5 x 5 on you compound lifts, I would only do 2 secondary excercises for 8-10 reps each. Something like this for chest:

Flat BB Bench Press 5x5
Incline DB Press 2x8-10
Flat DB Flies 2x8-10

If you're going as heavy as you should be on the 5x5, trust me this should be plenty. You don't want to overtrain. I think a lot of guys in here will agree with me on this one. Good luck!!

JT190 said:
Hey bro, first of all nice log, keep it up!!

Just a few things about your training. IMO, it's too much volume. If you're going to be doing the 5 x 5 on you compound lifts, I would only do 2 secondary excercises for 8-10 reps each. Something like this for chest:

Flat BB Bench Press 5x5
Incline DB Press 2x8-10
Flat DB Flies 2x8-10

If you're going as heavy as you should be on the 5x5, trust me this should be plenty. You don't want to overtrain. I think a lot of guys in here will agree with me on this one. Good luck!!

I actually started to think about that when my chest was shittin the bed on incline smythe machine lol. also, another thought that popped in my head is that i may be too focused on upper chest and nothing for lower/inner like a decline of some sort...any thoughts?

evansss said:
I actually started to think about that when my chest was shittin the bed on incline smythe machine lol. also, another thought that popped in my head is that i may be too focused on upper chest and nothing for lower/inner like a decline of some sort...any thoughts?
You can alternate decline/incline every chest workout.

I agree with winter, but I honestly feel if your hitting Flat Bench BB pretty heavy it's gonna be plenty for your lower chest. Some guys do decline, I haven't really ever and i've got good lower pec development. Just alternate them every workout, as long as your training revolves around your compound lifts, like bench, dead, and squat, you'll make excellent progress.

JT190 said:
I agree with winter, but I honestly feel if your hitting Flat Bench BB pretty heavy it's gonna be plenty for your lower chest. Some guys do decline, I haven't really ever and i've got good lower pec development. Just alternate them every workout, as long as your training revolves around your compound lifts, like bench, dead, and squat, you'll make excellent progress.

yeah i think your right, i've been lifting for 6 years and never really focused on any specific lower pec training, and they look pretty balanced. I'm going to be mainly concerning with getting the weight back up.

4/21/06

9:30- Egg white omlet with ham. 1 cup of oatmeal with 1 packet of regular sugar.

1:15- Turkey Sandwich with lettuce and honey mustard dressing. Large side of spinach, 1 small slice of pizza.

3:00pm- WORKOUT
DB Military Press 80x5/80x5/80x5/80x5/80x5
Side Lat. Raises 30x10/30x10/30x8
Deadlifts 225x5 (double overhand grip)/ 315x5 ( over/under)/ 315x3/315x4/315x2)
Seated Row(Machine) 225x8/225x8/225x8
Lat Pulldown 165x8/165x8/165x8
Pullups 3x5 with 60 pounds of assistance

Well I’m back to doing dead's. The last time I was constantly doing them was probably close to 2 years ago. The weight dropped drastically as I knew it would, and for some reason i hit a very odd rep scheme. I used to always do them with a double overhand grip, but today i just couldn’t hold the bar. I tried it with the over/under and I'm starting to like it. Now i just have to get my weight back up to where it used to be. Also, I found that by the time I got to doing pullups, my back was completely shot and i could only squeeze out some assisted ones. All in all I like going heavy n low, and hit it good today considering i worked out shoulders two days ago. (Before I started the 5x5)

4:45- 1 can of tuna with franks red hot.

6:00pm- pasta with tomato sauce. turkey sandwich with lettuce and honey mustard dressing. soft serve lowfat ice cream cone.

11pm- 16'' steak and cheese wedge (yeah i fucked up on that one)

Last edited:
adidamps2 said:
evansss looks good and listen to Winter and JT suggestions...those 2 know there ish'...just keep it up man.

def bro im here for all the suggestions and information possible. I know a little bit myself but not nearly as much as some of these guys on the board.

4/22

2:30pm- grilled chicken on white bread.

4:00pm CARDIO AND ABS
30 mins treadmill Intervals. 2mins @ 8mph/2mins @ 4.0mph etc...
Regular Crunches 3x50
Weighted Crunchs 110x50/110x50/110x50
Decline Leg Lifts 3x20
Alt. Heel touches 3x20

6:30- Grilled chicken on white bread.

I hate the weekends... i always sleep late and eat like shit.

Last edited:
i like to alternate flat and incline after every two rotations in my workout wht i meen by that is that i got 4 days one day off 4 days on works wonders for me ill go so ill go flat for first for the first four days and when chest comes back up ill go flat then when chest comes up again ill go incline i find its always shocking my chest i like it alot.......

in all of my other workouts i usually alternate every 2 like that as well....works pretty nice for me too.

4/23

2:00pm grilled chicken on white bread

4:00pm Bi's and tri's
Hammer curls 50x5/55x5/55x5/55x5/55x5
e-z curls 70x10/120x5/50x10
BB curls 95x10/115x10/115x10
Skull Crushers 70x5/100x5/110x5/110x5/110x5
Rope Pull downs 110x10/130x10/130x10
Tricep ext. (1 arm db) 40x10/40x10/40x10

Workout was good. i'm def gonna be feeling this one tomorow.

5:15pm Turkey with lettuce and honey mustard dressing on whole wheat. 1/4 plate of baked zitti, 1/4 of grilled potato's. 1 small cup of cake/pudding mess.

Like I said before, not much you can eat thats actually good for you at the dining hall. Got my protein n some decent carbs though. The cake was my cheat.

7:30pm- 1 can of tuna with frank's red hot

Last edited:
4/24

11:00 am - Turkey sandwhich with lettuce and honey mustard dressing on whole wheat. Bowl of golden grams. 1/4 cup of cheese-its

4:30- Grilled chicken on white bread

5:45- Quads and Hams
Squats- 225x5/245x5/265x5/275x5 (testing the weight...havnt squatted in months)
Quad ext.- 180x10/180x10/180x10
Ham Curl (Hammer strength dual axis)- 140x10/140x10/140x10

I didnt wanna get too crazy on the squats my first day, and I'm glad I didnt. I was feeling it right after my 2nd set, and my quads were dead by the 5th set. Good routine overall though, its fast and effective.

630: Turkey sandwich with lettuce on whole wheat bread. Baby spinich raw with light rasberry vinnegrette. Bowl of Granola with small amount of whole milk.

Kinda pissed they were outa skim milk. And the people working at the dining hall were assholes about putting my honey mustard out. Fuckin dickheads. :squintfin

Last edited:
4/25

9:00am - egg white omlet with ham. 1 cup of oatmeal with 2 packs of splenda.
1:30pm - turkey sandwhich with lettuce and honey mustard on whole wheat. Side of rice. Low fat soft serve ice cream cone

5:45- Tukery sandwhich with lettuce and honey mustard on whole wheat. Bowl of granola with skim milk.

My legs are shot to shit from squatting already.

Last edited:
4/26

11:00am- Turkey sandwhich with lettuce and honey mustard dressing on whole wheat. 1 bowl of low-fat granola with skim milk

2:00pm- grilled chicken breast on the forman. No bread or rice. ran out in the room. struggling to get decent meals .

5:00pm Workout
15 minutes of 8% incline at 3.5 mph and 15 minutes of 10% incline at 3.7 mph
Regular Crunches 3x50
Weighted crunches 110x50/110x50/110x50
Decline leg lifts 3x20
Alt Heel touches 3x20

I wanted to hit cardio better but my legs are still really sore from doing squats...still got decent work in.

8:00pm- two grilled chicken wraps with lettuce tomato and honey mustard. Small side of fries.

Last edited:
Back