First Cycle Var/Clen - A Hardgainer's Story

Kingjarl

Hello, I've read a lot of questions concerning what a first cycle of Anavar only would do. I came across all of these during my own research into such a cycle. I did choose to add 80mcg of Clenbuterol each day as well.

Here's my story -

I'm 29 years old, and have been training naturally (off and on) for about 8 years. I say off and on because, like most of us, I've suffered through some pretty bad injuries that kept me out of the gym for awhile at times. Torn both labrums, separated both shoulders, dislocated both shoulders (the left one numerous times) and lots of tendonitis. Also, for 12 years I've suffered from a cluster of symptoms known as 'fibromyalgia'. Basically, I'm ridiculously tired all the time, and extremely sore. Makes it tough training sometimes, but satisfying as well.

I had been back for about a year (after 6 months off from a dislocated shoulder, and tendonitis in my wrist that just wouldn't go away - even after two months physio - what a bitch that was). And here is what my stats were as of two weeks ago today:

6ft, 182lbs, 19.6% bodyfat.

I'm one of these long, skinny looking guys that have an extremely hard time keeping muscle. I'm not a total ectomorph, but close. I'd guess (out of 10) that I'm 70% ectomorph, 30% mesomorph. I keep what looks like 90% of my bodyfat around my midsection.

For two weeks I have done 40mg Anavar (var) ED, as well as 80mcg of Clen (w/ketotefin) ED.

I'm now at 186lbs, and 14.6% bodyfat. I've put on 20lbs and 2 reps onto my incline press, and 20lbs and 1 rep onto my Db military press.

So, in the two weeks since I've begun I've added about 11lbs of muscle and dropped 9lbs of fat.

My diet is clean, I've upped my protein considerably for this cycle, and dropped my carbs a bit - I'm very carb sensitive, so right now I'm sitting at around 100g of carbs ED. I'll cycle in a higher carb day to avoid a starvation response, which also comes very easily.

For this cycle, I train 4 times a week (mon/wed/fri/sat) doing (in order) chest/bis, back/calves, shoulders/tris, quads/hams. I constantly cycle my rep range, and rest time between sets to keep things from getting stale.

The strength gains came after about a week. Now at the end of week two the 'pumps' are getting ridiculous. 5 more weeks to go!

I'll update this every week for any newbie hardgainers who are looking for what results might be on such a cycle.

So I bumped the dose up to 60mg ED - been that way for 4 days now, I believe. I've also ramped my calories waaaay up. Paid for it in the last week (a bit) because I put on 2lbs of fat.

End of week three measurements:
192lbs/14.6% bodyfat
Which means I've added another 5.5lbs of lean mass, and 2lbs of fat.

I've also added about 3/4 inch on my biceps - they're up to 16".
So, in all, at the end of the three weeks I've put on about 17.5lbs of LBM and dropped 7.5lbs of fat.

The pumps are ridiculous - sometimes to the point of not being able to finish all my sets. Plus, cramping outside of the gym is an issue. My ass cramped during sex. Great fun.

Anyways, I'll check in again in a week. Gonna keep up with the high calories for another 2 weeks, then cut them right down and do more cardio in the last two weeks of this cycle to try and cut some fat.

pEAce

I've done several Anavar (var) and clen only cycles my self and I was really happy with the results. At the time I weighed 225lbs. and I'm 6'2". I wasn't to concerned with size or strength gains all I really wanted was to get lean and hard. The cycle worked well for my needs but it sounds like you might be looking for larger gains then I was so if your not getting what you want you might consider adding a couple hundred miligrams of Deca or Test a week.

MikeG said:
I've done several Anavar (var) and clen only cycles my self and I was really happy with the results. At the time I weighed 225lbs. and I'm 6'2". I wasn't to concerned with size or strength gains all I really wanted was to get lean and hard. The cycle worked well for my needs but it sounds like you might be looking for larger gains then I was so if your not getting what you want you might consider adding a couple hundred miligrams of Deca or Test a week.

To be honest, Mike, I wasn't looking to put on this much size (not that I'm complaining). Though I've only just recently got as big as I used to be (before injury about 1.5yrs ago). So, the rapid gains probably have a lot to do with muscle memory. I imagine they can't keep up like this for the remainder of the cycle (of course not, then I'd put on another 17lbs of LBM in the last 3 weeks, for a ridiculous total of 34lbs on Anavar (var) - yeah right).

But, I'll see how the remaining time goes. If I do indeed keep getting great results week after week on Var, there'll be no need to do much else. The biggest thing for me will be how much of the gains I'll keep. After 9 years of training and injury, of trial and error, of calorie counting and carb cycling - it sure feels good to pack on the muscle... like I've 'earned' it, y'know?

What type of results have you gotten from your clen/var cycles? What were your dosages? How long were the cycles?

pEAce

hey buddy good to hear things are going well, don't forget to take before and after pics. Any reason why you just doing a Anavar (var) cycle ? you may find suppression of test really limits your moods and energy levels..sure you woudn't be better with a little hrt dose of test ? or are you trying to stay away from the more androgentic steroids ?

keep up the journal people do read these they just don't comment that much..

Lucky13 said:
hey buddy good to hear things are going well, don't forget to take before and after pics. Any reason why you just doing a Anavar (var) cycle ? you may find suppression of test really limits your moods and energy levels..sure you woudn't be better with a little hrt dose of test ? or are you trying to stay away from the more androgentic steroids ?

Obviously, having been in the gym for years and years, taking 'roids had been thought about. I just didn't want to be a monster, and wasn't interested in dealing with any adverse side effects - though I'm well aware that almost any steroid taken with full knowledge of it and yourself, can be done safely.
When I was finally 'ready', Anavar seemed like the way to go because of the small gains (easy to keep), and low incidence of side effects.

Plus, I've got a buddy (a brother, really) who was heavy into EVERYTHING, and I chatted him up about what I was looking for. He said Anavar (var) was the way to go (he also said that on these type of boards, many people would say it's a waste of time). So, Anavar (var) it was - and it's fulfilled my needs nicely.

I'm still carrying close to 15% bodyfat - dammit - but that'll stay where it is for awhile while I try to pack on as much muscle as possible. What with my symptoms, I've always had an EXTREMELY hard time keeping fat off.

So - very happy with the Anavar (var) so far, and will be switching up my routine with the weights to better 'feed' off of it. I'm constantly checking the replies, but my 'updates' come once a week - on Saturdays. I weigh myself on the same scale, with the same clothes on, and take my bodyfat % at the same time of day each week.

pEAce

Lucky13 said:

If there's one thing I won't notice (and haven't) it's energy levels dropping. I have had full blown 'fibromyalgia' symptoms for 12 years now - and THAT'S low energy, I can testify to that. I'm always tired and always extremely sore (pain levels vary) - being in the gym is the only thing that keeps me going.

So, doing this first cycle has been like magic. My energy levels are up a bit, and you've seen the result numbers so far.

When I did those var/clen cycles they lasted for about twelve weeks three times a year. I don't remember the clen dosage but the Anavar (var) was about 25mgs a day. But I had done some other stronger cycles prior to these. When I was about 20 years old I did my first cycle which was sust250 once a week and 20mgs of Anavar (var) a day for about three months. Over the next two years I did three more simular cycles and I went from 190lbs. to 230 lbs. So when I did those var/clen cycles all I was really doing was maintaning those gains and staying ripped. I like you have always had a real problem with body fat and the Anavar (var) and clen worked wonders as far as reducing my body fat, it was around 8% at the time. They also helped me stay strong my bench was always up around 275 for multiple sets of 8, squats about the same weight and reps. And I always had a lot of energy and great endurance. I kept most of what I gained off those cycles because I continued working out when I wasn't cycling and because I never gained that much to begin with. What I gained over a few years some people on much harder cycles gain in less then a year and I think those large gains in a short period of time are harder to keep. Hope this helps and good luck

MikeG said:
When I did those var/clen cycles they lasted for about twelve weeks three times a year. I don't remember the clen dosage but the Anavar (var) was about 25mgs a day. But I had done some other stronger cycles prior to these. When I was about 20 years old I did my first cycle which was sust250 once a week and 20mgs of Anavar (var) a day for about three months. Over the next two years I did three more simular cycles and I went from 190lbs. to 230 lbs. So when I did those var/clen cycles all I was really doing was maintaning those gains and staying ripped. I like you have always had a real problem with body fat and the Anavar (var) and clen worked wonders as far as reducing my body fat, it was around 8% at the time. They also helped me stay strong my bench was always up around 275 for multiple sets of 8, squats about the same weight and reps. And I always had a lot of energy and great endurance. I kept most of what I gained off those cycles because I continued working out when I wasn't cycling and because I never gained that much to begin with. What I gained over a few years some people on much harder cycles gain in less then a year and I think those large gains in a short period of time are harder to keep. Hope this helps and good luck

Definetly. Thanks, bro.
That's my thinking too - that much smaller gains over a longer period of time will be easier to keep in the long run. So, we'll see how it goes.

pEAce

Setback week:
I suffered a severe neck strain somewhere between the gym and home. Spent the last 5 days in a soft neck brace. Ate lots of garbage because I couldn't cook for myself. Looks like I've gained some fat. Shitty deal, but what can I do?

Should be back in the gym tomorrow. I'll take measurements again this coming Saturday.

pEAce

A long xmas break and some travelling kinda threw off the last of my program. While I continued to take Var, I wasn't eating properly.

Here are my overall observations, keeping in mind that everyone reacts differently...

1. Var helped me lose weight pretty quick, so long as I followed a good diet. When I went off the diet, I put fat on. It's not a 'magical fat burner' that will get you ripped just because you're taking it. Keeping in mind, I've been as high as 25% bodyfat in my lifetime, so I'm more apt to put it on quickly.

2. Strength gains came after about 2 weeks, and continued through week 6.

3. The 'pumps' were not so much incredible as they were painful and annoying. I couldn't play hockey, and many of my workouts were cut short because the 'pumps' ie. cramps were too bad.

4. Overall, I put on 17.5lbs of muscle and dropped 9.5lbs of fat. Now, remember - I have already been this big naturally. So, my muscle memory helped me put this on much more quickly. From my research, a 17.5lb gain from Var is almost unheard of. So, if you're a rookie user taking it because you want to get back to your max natural size (as I did, after injury), it may work really, really well. If you're already at your genetic potential, don't expect a nearly 20lb gain.

5. So far, I've kept the strength and size. Very nice. But again, I'm only AT my genetic potential now. I imagine that keeping my calories up will cause me to keep 95% or more of these gains.

6. It was my first cycle, and it was pretty fun. The cramps kinda sucked, and I couldn't play organized hockey (my calfs kept cramping).

So, good experience overall. I'd recommend it as a first cycle for a 'hardgainer' for sure

PS I put 1" on my biceps, too.

Last edited:
outlawtas2 said:
great gains off of any compounds, nevermind var!

Yeah, no doubt! Of course, I'm sure it really helped that I was below my max 'natural' weight. Not that I'm complaining, or anything... lol.

The real story will be if I do a second cycle, to see where the gains take me then. That's not a given yet, either. I play hockey (not pro or anything), and the 'pumps' (ie severe cramps) basically make it impossible.

pEAce

I ran var anc clen twice, and I ran var and andriol once
Every single time I used var we have become great friends.........I am about to run a 6 week 80mg/day var cycle to get me prepped!

Cant say enough good things about this!

Did another 5 week, 40mg/ed Anavar (var) cycle - was good. Put on about 5-6lbs of muscle, and topped off at 199lbs again. I really like Var, except for the fact that it's waaaay too harsh on the liver. The side effects are virtually nil on moderate doses (30-60mg/ed), and though you'll certainly get results (if you eat enough) you won't look like you're ripped on 'roids.

So, for beginners (such as myself) who don't necessarily want to get the BB look, but do want to kickstart some lean gains (after reaching their genetic potential naturally) - an Anavar cycle could be the way to go.

Trouble is, though, where does it end? Now that I've seen small results, I'm leaning towards IM AAS. For a lot of guys like myself, who've trained naturally for years and reached their genetic potential, going to the gym and lifting becomes quite difficult to maintain when you're not getting any bigger. I mean, hey, that's why we all go - right? To get bigger, stronger, faster?

But if I go with a round of IM, then what? It has to end somewhere, no? My weight seems to top out at about 200lbs - do I want to be 220? 230? 240?

So many questions to be answered - I just don't know. I can tell you for damn sure I want to try IM - to finally 'look like I feel' (ie a monster at the gym). But going down this road will make it tough to turn back. Is there any stopping?

Any advice, vets? - that is, thoughts on use of Anabolic Androgenic Steroids (AAS) and psychological reprocussions...

Kingjarl

You don't have to be crazy big to look huge, it's all about symetry and bf%...get this right and a guy at 215 will make a guy of 240 look like garbage.

KJ - can you elaborate on the Liver sides in your case. The literature on Anavar (var) (medical - not gosip) suggests it is has a moderate impact only on Liver values. Are you saying it was your dose that was Liver harmful? As for IM AAS, well, all Anabolic Androgenic Steroids (AAS) use has a degree of risk. My issue with IM gear is it's unlikely to be pharma grade, you are putting it very close to the blood stream, which unlike the stomach, cant destroy most harmful bacteria. And even then, while vomiting is unpleasant if you ingest something nasty, a bacterial infection in the blood or tissues is worse.

ZD01 said:
KJ - can you elaborate on the Liver sides in your case. The literature on Anavar (var) (medical - not gosip) suggests it is has a moderate impact only on Liver values. Are you saying it was your dose that was Liver harmful? As for IM AAS, well, all Anabolic Androgenic Steroids (AAS) use has a degree of risk. My issue with IM gear is it's unlikely to be pharma grade, you are putting it very close to the blood stream, which unlike the stomach, cant destroy most harmful bacteria. And even then, while vomiting is unpleasant if you ingest something nasty, a bacterial infection in the blood or tissues is worse.

I had bloodwork done about a month after my first cycle - it wasn't good (unfortunately, I don't have the papers on me). Of course, everyone is different. The 40mg/ed I was taking messed my liver and kidney values enough to concern my doctor. Plus, they (liver,kidneys) just didn't feel good. The reason I finally decided on Anavar (var) was because of the literature regarding the mild effects on the liver and kidneys. I think it's a bit misleading, though. Anavar (var) is mild on the liver for an Oral. If you took it for two months (especially without some sort of liver protectant) you're asking for trouble - but I imagine you know most of this.
I'm fortunate enough to know the IM Anabolic Androgenic Steroids (AAS) I receive is of the highest quality (though there are always risks, one thing I don't have to worry about is the quality). You bring up some good points about IM AAS, for certain... pretty much any of this crap we put in our bodies is a risk. I like to think I balance out the 'crap equation' by not smoking, drinking, eating junk food, or doing street drugs. Lol.

pEAce

Back